Bose speakers crackling

sauluk

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Got this Bose lifestyle system (7.1) about 18 months old and whenever there's a loud bit to a film, usually with lots of bass, the speakers crackle like crazy and it drives me nuts.

When I've heard it has been on sky movies and it's a recent thing, never used to do it. Not seen any DVDs in the meantime where it's happened but it's mainly on action films. Watching iron man has been terrible!

What could it be?

Sounds like the speakers are distorting with more bass than they can handle. With titchy speakers like those, ideally you should have the subwoofer handling the majority of the bass as that is designed for that purpose, which can let the other speakers breathe a sigh of relief and get on with providing the rest of the sound. Otherwise you're pushing them beyond their limits and it won't be long before they're knackered.
I havent any experience with the bose system, but setting the crossover settings on surround systems is usually not too difficult, I think a read of the manual would be a good idea for you to check out exactly how to do it! This will send the bass signal below a certain frequency to the sub and everything else to the other speakers. I am not sure what the ideal frequency for your speakers are, but someone should be able to chime in. I guess the ideal frequency, is one that stops the problem, so you could always do a bit of playing about!

Thanks for the help, problem is I think it's the sky signal as I don't remember there being an issue on DVDs. I'll have a look at the settings to be sure but the whole system throughout the house was set up by professionals when installed so I can only think that a cable has gone or signal has gone bad. But it seemsabit sudden!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom