bose speakers above or below plasma screen ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by bigalw, Mar 20, 2006.

1. bigalw

bigalw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I have just bought a new pioneer plasma and while I wait for the delivery I am trying to figure out the best positioning of my speakers ( I have the bose am15 sub sat system )

The Tv will hang on the wall over my mantelpiece .If I put the centre speaker just above the mantelpiece and the tv just above that then the tv will be rather too high on the wall for comfortable viewing

Any issue with putting the speaker above pointing down towards the listener ( with obviously the rt and left in the same plane)

My friend reckons it will actually help the sound and make it more open placing them in such a way

Advice welcomed

Thx Bigalw

2. speedymct

speedymct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Before anything else is said, I'm sure the usual Bose haters will fill this thread with the usual "Bose is a lifestyle brand & not up to the job" stuff.

I've got my middle sat under the screen & the sound is pretty good. If you're mounting the screen above the mantelpiece, it will, as you said, push the screen up too high.

From what others say, as long as the sat's are around the same height & pointing at the listening point, there shouldn't be any problems.

3. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Speakers should go besides the screen.

But the screen should go at eye level. Do you have very high sofas? ;)

4. speedymct

speedymct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yeah, I though about putting the sofa on a tail lift from a truck. That way you can adjust to the optimum height whenever you want!

5. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Excellent! Lateral thinking at it's best :D :D

(or is that vertical?)

;)

6. bigalw

bigalw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi all

i am planning centre speaker above screen and r and l in same plane

Or should speaker go above screen and l and r at eye level like mhuk05 suggests - i thought you needed to have all speakers in the front in one plane

???

7. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    In an ideal world, you'd have the centre of the screen at a comfortable eye-level, and the centre speaker at the same level - impossible, unless you use a projector.

The only problem with mounting the speakers high on the wall is that it may reduce the "sweet spot" - if you move away from the point the speakers are aimed at, it might not sound as good. If all your listening is done from the sofa, it probably doesn't matter whether the speakers are above or below the screen. The only problem with above the screen placement would be if you have a low ceiling, where reflections from the ceiling might play havoc with imaging.
    I'd put the L&R at eye level, and not too close to the screen.