Question Bose soundbar vs Kef 5.1

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by jamesmann100, Apr 24, 2018.

1. jamesmann100

jamesmann100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bit of advice please, I've got a square room about 11 feet x 11 feet, 55" TV going centred on one wall, sofa on opposite wall, budget of around £1500 for the sounds. Was going to go for the Bose 300 Home Cinema system, but I did read that the satellite speakers are not great. Reading on I saw that I could get a true 5.1 system with receiver for the same money, Denon AVR-X2400H receiver with Kef T205 speakers comes in at the same price. Wanted to listen to the soundbar+satellites versus traditional 5.1, but saw that richer sounds don't stock the Bose setup. So, any advice on how they are likely to differ in sound? I presume the receiver + 5.1 setup will be louder, but can anyone comment on sound quality on those as I'm unlikely to be able to hear them side by side? And is the receiver + 5.1 likely to over power that sized room?

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

James

2. dollag

dollag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833
    £1500 is a nice budget for a 5.1 system. personally i would stay clear of the bose. it's not as bad as some people make out but you can do a lot better with your money.

are you planning on adding atmos/hight speakers in the near future?

is your tv 4k? hdr/dv?

what sources? 4k player? apple tv? nas?

usage movies, music, both?

I have listed below an example of a system that will literally blow the bose out of the water for both music and movies. the speakers are small so should not cause an issue in your room for pacement and are great looking too.

If your open to second hand, the MA Radius can be had for half the listed price.

Monitor Audio Speakers Per Pair

Monitor Audio Speakers Per Pair

Monitor Audio Single Centre Speaker

Bk Electronics Xls200-df Mk2 Powered Subwoofer. Black Ash | eBay

Sony Atmos AV Receiver

3. jamesmann100

jamesmann100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great advice dollag, thank you! So would you say that for that money a 5.1 is likely to be superior to soundbar+surround satellites then? Any comment on whether 5.1 including receiver is too much for an 11x11 room?

Answers to your questions: Not planning on atmos, TV will be 4k+HDR+OLED (thinking of the LG OLED55C7V), sources will be 4k player + Sky Q + X box, mainly movies and sport, not much music.

One other very important point - I don't have full control of this room! My wife would much prefer a soundbar for looks, I think I can just about convince her on a 5.1 if I conceal all cables but was also keen on the Kef T205 as they're slim and look great. Any comment on these speakers versus the MA ones you suggested? Or are there any other slim speakers you could recommend in a 5.1 system?

4. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,309
    A Denon X2400 with the KEF T Serie speakers will easily outperform any soundbar on the market and that combination will prove to be far better value than the Bose. The Bose will restrict you to what you will purchase whereas the KEF speakers can be added to or easily upgraded in the future. The T Serie is quite good looking and don't take up a lot of room if wall mounted, as they are designed to be used.

I've used Denon receivers with a variety of KEF speakers and have found them to be really good partners.

5. dollag

dollag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833
    like @gibbsy I own Kef speakers and am a big fan of their sound signature, and again prefer denon and marantz over sony avrs.

For me Kef work very well with Denon and marantz (same group) and the T series are a stunning looking speaker.

The MA's are also great and would edge the kefs due to their box design but that does not mean the kefs sound bad. they are a great speaker; albeit, a bit of a lifestyle compromise.

You will need a sub with them and would recommend a bk electronics xls200 or gemini

6. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +916
    RicherSounds sells both that is one option to call there and book demo time, which ever dealer is nearest you. Buying without listening is bad idea. If you can compare them in same space with your choice of receiver (at RS is possible), then better! You don`t have to buy anything, just listen first and maybe show them to wife aswell!

Price is same with both bundles;

Denon AVR-X2400H AV Receiver with KEF T205 AV Speakers

Denon AVRX2400 (Black), Monitor Audio Radius 90 x2 (Black), Radius 200 Centre (Black) & Radius 380 Subwoofer (Black)

T305 bundle package is +100£ expensive only (1700£ alone normally) and has 40m speaker cable + 3m sub cable aswell;
    Denon AVR-X2400H AV Receiver with KEF T305 AV Speakers

But as Dollag said ask the price without subwoofer when you know which you like more, now there might come some differences with the prices so it`s worth to ask around as many dealers as possible to get best price.

Radius colours;

[​IMG]

7. Cameron583

Cameron583

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +485
    Definitely pop into a Sevenoaks if you can. My local one gave me £80 quid off a brand new pair of 685 S2, just because I asked if we could do a deal if I walked away with a pair there and then.

8. Paul7777x

Paul7777x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,160
    Here’s a tidy set up for great price.

Five small but excellent Dalis, wall mountable and by all accounts a very fine speaker.

Dali Fazon Mikro 5.0 Speaker Package

(DALI FAZON MIKRO - True Hi-Fi sound in a small and elegant design)

Then the Gemini sub. I wouldn’t really consider a 12” sub in a room your size. It’s just asking to excite room nodes. And this is a mighty fine sub indeed.

Gemini

There are soooo many receivers around its impossible to pick a ‘best’ one. Either of these two, and many more will be great stuff indeed.

Denon Atmos AV Receiver

Yamaha Atmos AV Receiver

Strictly speaking, as you’re not going to be using Atmos, I’d go for an older used AVR. Probably an Arcam a year or two old.

Good luck.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  9. Paul7777x

Paul7777x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,160
  10. dollag

dollag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833
    The only thing I’d be mindful of an older avr is if you wish to run all your components through it. It will need to be hdcp 2.2 compatible for 4k hdr

11. jamesmann100

jamesmann100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All - thanks a lot for all your advice! Have just been to Richer Sounds and listened to the KEF T205 speakers with Denon X2400 receiver, absolutely superb. They did also say that the KEF woofer is a bit weak though, so they recommended the REL T5. It did sound better than the KEF. @dollag - you mentioned the BK XLS200, any comment on how that would compare to the REL T5, if you've heard them both? The REL is £549, the XLS200 £330, but Richer Sounds didn't have the XLS200

12. dollag

dollag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833
    I have not heard the Rel T5 personally but @gibbsy has one so may be able to shed some light on it. From reviews i believe it's great for music.

the BK has a 10" driver compared to Rel's 8"
    the BK goes lower to 18hz compared to the Rel's 32hz, albeit both @ +-6db
    The Bk has 275W amplifier compared to Rel's 125w

So specs point to the BK all day long but they do not always tell the whole story

BK sell direct, hence their cheap prices. Also they actually manufactured Rel's subs for them back in the day.

13. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +916
    Why not get P12-300SB which Dollag owns as that costs 330£ + 10£ delivery and that will eat those two tiny subs for breakfast! :) Unless there is physical limits for the subwoofer size maybe from the wife/gf side. You would be suprised how large subwoofers people has in the 11x11 rooms, so the P12 surely isn`t too large there and it`s still sealed by design so quite easy to place in room with the help of your receiver Denon X2400 which eq`s the subwoofer. You will most surely upgrade the sub at some point, so why not get the best you can now?! XXLS400 has been matched to smaller satellites many times and in AVForums review of P12 they used some smaller speakers aswell and the results were great!

3 options available;
    BK Electronics P12-300SB-FF Satin Black | eBay

BK Electronics P12-300SB-DF Black Subwoofer 5060403220998 | eBay

BK Electronics P12-300SB-FF White with white Grille 5060403221032 | eBay

From XLS200 and T5 clearly the BK is the more capable one with high quality Peerless driver. Physically larger cabinet, larger driver, doubling power... But keep in mind for same price you can get serious jump in performance from the P12-300SB model!

14. dollag

dollag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833
    The room is 11x11

A 12 inch sub may create some issues but your right the p-12 is a serious sub

Edit: My room is 13x12 and is actually 13x9 in some spaces as a weird shape and all i can say is I am very very happy with the sub so it may well work; however, if your room is a proper proper square, it would likely cause issues.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  15. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +916
    I don`t believe so if placed right cause it`s still sealed sub and he has Audussey (XT) which will tame it surely if any boominess occur example corner loading it! We have members with BK Monolith in that size room (my friend has PB1000 with Antimode) and i think XTZ 10.17 was reviewed in similar size room, forum member Adam has dual Arendal Sub2 in probably smaller space than this. People in US has dual 15" sealed subwoofers in similar sized rooms (dedicated HT rooms).

P12-300SB is great sub for price, but still far from the real movie subs. I think it can perform really well in small spaces with the help of room gain, clearly better than in large space. Lot of people are scared of the subwoofer size vs. room size, but having the option to place it optimally (crawl/measure) and some form of eq (Antimode or Audussey...) will only help. Ported subs and small rooms might be more trickier, but then again there are people that wouldn´t change anything and loves that you can really pressurise the room. Bass heads.

XLS200 is no slouch, but if you can get better sub for same price i wouldn`t think two times. What if the OP moves larger space and then dreams of larger sub.. He then feels bad and buyers remorse kicks in. Loses money while upgrading, as he could have got the better one in first place for same money. You can always tone down the larger sub, but won`t get more from the smaller.

16. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,309
    The REL T5 is a very good musical sub, fast and agile it can underpin music using the stereo mode on a receiver and excels when listening to 5.1 blu ray audio or DVD live concerts. Neither my wife or myself like deep bass so it's perfect for us. If you want earth shattering LFE effects from films then I suggest there are better and cheaper alternatives.

The REL is designed to be placed in a corner and I had no difficulty getting the right position. Beautifully built mine is now in it's seventh year of ownership. I would certainly buy another REL but probably the T7 or T9.

17. jamesmann100

jamesmann100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you all again for the advice, this is great! I don't want to go mad on the sub, for my 11x11 room I'm thinking 10" would be perfect, so my gut feel based on all your comments is XLS200. That P12-300 SB is very tempting, but gut feel is a 10".

Richer Sounds recommended Chord Company SARSEN speaker cable (£8 p/metre) and Cambridge Audio AUD500 sub cable, but they also recommended HDMI cable at £35 which I know is way too much, so I'm checking everything they say out! Would you say those products are the ones to go for in a £1400 5.1 system?

18. dollag

dollag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833
    Van same 2mm speaker cable £3-4 a metre.

Just picked 15m up for £21 from maplins as closing down :)

Again hdmi cables as long as they are under 5m and high speed, Amazon basics will do the trick [emoji1474]

19. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +916
    Your gut feeling is wrong, if you are after the best bang for the money. :)
    BK Electronics P12-300SB Subwoofer Review

Would you think either of the SVS SB1000 or SB2000 be too large? I don`t think so, it`s the cabinet size that is scaring you, not the driver as both SVS has 12" driver and are quite tiny. You will always think about "what if..", if you choose the smaller one for same money. Well i would (been there done that).:laugh: Of course up to you, i just got a feeling that the physical size of sub wouldn`t be problem for you, it`s just that you think about large sub = too much bass automatically.. Which is nonsense. Notice that DF & FF cabinet has different dimensions.

I don`t want to sound too negative, but you are already making little compromise with the speakers when it comes to flat design. Just like buying satellite speakers would be, there is only so much they can do performance wise. I have seen the T-serie measurements, while they sound excellent they won`t play that low. Meaning your system depends very much of quality subwoofer and certainly P12 is up to the task as is XLS200, but for little bit extra rumble for same money the choice is easy. Of course we choose the best option with all things considered and there is always some compromises to be done, still think it carefully bud.

As has been told earlier RS is robbing clients with cable pricing, do not buy those! No need to be special brand cables, you won`t notice difference.

Edit. Van Damme pricing very low! Great deal!

My choice would be basic 2,5mm2 (AWG13) OFC cable from Amazon, very popular choice. 20m & 30meters available;
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/DCSk-20-lo...=1525156004&sr=1-6&keywords=ofc+speaker+cable

BK subwoofers come with free subwoofer cable, 5meters long if i remember right. Cheap one, but didn`t have any problems with mine back in the days.

When you order speaker cable from Amazon, you can get the HDMI cable from there as Dollag said. :smashin:

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  20. jamesmann100

jamesmann100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Purchase made! Have gone for 5 KEFs and a BK XLS200 sub (please don't kill me gasp3621!). Denon receiver with it, and have pushed the boat out and gone 65" for the TV

One further question though, richer sounds were trying to sell me a TV bracket for £90 (I don't need it swivel, it can be fixed position). On Amazon they start at about £10, with some around £30 getting very good reviews. I know this is not something to mess about with, but what do you need to spend on a decent fixed TV bracket? It's going on an outside wall. Here's one at £27 on amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product...sfl_title_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2HOXPEXH6Y6ZI

21. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +916
    Haha, i won`t! Congrats mate!:smashin: You were sure it was the right choice so i think you will be pleased with it. For the small size it surely is worth every penny (High quality heavy`ish cabinet, Peerless driver, powerfull amp..), just remember to find best place for it (subwoofer crawl) so you can get best performance out of it! Well the same goes for speakers, so do some research and tape measuring to get everything as good as it can be!

Right choice with tv! 55" is fine for bedroom, 65" at living room and i think the recommendation for 4K 65" distance is around 2,4-3meter. So hopefully you can optimize that aswell. The reviews for that tv bracket looks very good and for pocket money, seems great!

22. dollag

dollag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833

Congrats!!!

be sure to report back once set up and get some pics going :smashin:

23. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,309
    The TV bracket seems fine and even a 65'' isn't going to weight heavy. The fixing to the wall is of more importance. Enjoy your new kit.:smashin: