Bose Soundbar 700 Review & Comments

Interesting review, others have rated the soundbar higher with comparisons to the sonos beam. However for the price the I think the beam would be a better buy...

Companies like Bose & Sonos continue to baffle me. Its end of 2019 and these companies are unable to offer modern day features. Looks like Samsung are the only company who have nailed it this year w.r to soundbar.

Please dont ask why, but I was in the Bose shop at Gunwharf Quays Portsmouth a few weeks back, and was disgusted the way the staff try pressure selling these soundbars with all the rubbish spill, so called one time offer...
They tried it to me and I was a bit brutally honest, and then left well alone.
One chap was with his young family contemplating kit purchase. I decided to look at the kit price for him and found it £250 cheaper at JL, he was well chuffed, but for some reason I was asked leave :censored:

And just so you know it doesn’t play Apple Music natively via the assistants ...

ive got the 500 ..wish I’d never bought it ... the 700 based on this review seems to be exactly the same ..and lots of issues with the HDMI-Arc ..

avoid ...

Must be all the people who watch QVC that keep Bose going.

Hit the nail on the head. Every time QVC promotes Bose products they say something like " Rich and Immersive Sound ", It's then you know it will be Crap.

There are no HDMI inputs and while there is eARC, the lack of lossless audio support makes it redundant

One benefit to e-ARC might be with lip sync issues. If you search Sonos Beam and lip-sync issues you'll see a plethora of complaints.

This soundbar might have been ideal for a small living room or 2nd TV if it was priced around £300/400 max. I know that's just Bose pricing but it's far too high considering the alternatives available.

Let's face it, Bose products are for people who want to be able to tell their friends that they own a Bose product.

One benefit to e-ARC might be with lip sync issues. If you search Sonos Beam and lip-sync issues you'll see a plethora of complaints.

This soundbar might have been ideal for a small living room or 2nd TV if it was priced around £300/400 max. I know that's just Bose pricing but it's far too high considering the alternatives available.

What alternatives and what do the do better than the Bose 700?

What alternatives and what do the do better than the Bose 700?
This review is over a year old but the Sonos Arc and a number of Samsung soundbars around the £799 mark support Dolby Atmos (and DTS-X on the Samsung) as well as Dolby HD and DTS HD audio formats.

So any Samsung of similar price will outperform Bose?
I wonder how much better lossless tracks actually sound over non lossless when listening through a soundbar. If the lossless was played through a decent separates system then fair enough but through a life style bar? I have read many reviews on Samsung atmos, lossless etc etc and the reality is many say they can’t hear the difference over non atmos and lossy tracks.

Last edited:
Although this review is circa 2 years old, in part I am in disagreement with this review. Yes the Bose is expensive when adding the other components to make a 5.1 solution, yes it does not support Dolby Atmos or DTS-X etc, yes the black version of the soundbar is prone to smudges/fingers....the white variant less so.....BUT the Bose SB 700 is a beast! The soundstage is huge, vocals are clear and forward (with and without the dialogue function being enabled), movies sound exceptional and so does music too. Yes there are better sounding, cheaper and costlier soundbars out there but the Bose ticks a lot of boxes. Check the reviews on YouTube.

I agree.. I use the Bose 300 smart soundbar in a bedroom and it’s surprisingly good. Despite it being 30 inches in length it has quite a wide sound profile.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom