Bose Soundbar 600 - Playing Dolby Atmos

Garry1998

Novice Member
Reaction score
My existing traditional 5.1 set up no longer works in my new house so I'm looking at the bose 600 to improve the sound experience.

I've a 2019 Samsung TV with HDMI ARC, a Sky Q box and a 4k player. My initial plan was to pass the sound from both Sky and 4k player through the TV to the soundbar but, with only optical and ARC (not eARC) TV outputs, my understanding is that it will only give me 5.1 as opposed to full Dolby Atmos.

Is that right ?

If so, can I just send audio directly from the 4k (there is an audio only HDMI port on my Sony 4K player) to the soundbar using the eARC input and use digital optical cable for Sky Q from the TV ? Thus getting Atmos from any 4K discs I play effectively using both input options on the soundbar ?

Thanks

The eARC port on the Soundbar will only work with an ARC or eARC port from your TV, it will not recognise the HDMI Video or Audio Output from the 4K Player.

Some TV's will support Atmos as DD+ (which is what your Sky Q Box supports on the subscription/channels which support Atmos) via HDMI Input and ARC 'out', Setting up Dolby Digital Plus (Dolby Atmos) | Sky Help | Sky.com

You can use the HDFury Arcana, Arcana2-VRR or VRRoom to allow your 4K player (or multiple Source devices) to send full uncompressed Atmos to the Bose 600 plus 4K video to the TV (and retain eARC/ARC for the TV Tuner, Apps and devices connected to the TV).

Joe

The eARC port on the Soundbar will only work with an ARC or eARC port from your TV, it will not recognise the HDMI Video or Audio Output from the 4K Player.

Some TV's will support Atmos as DD+ (which is what your Sky Q Box supports on the subscription/channels which support Atmos) via HDMI Input and ARC 'out', Setting up Dolby Digital Plus (Dolby Atmos) | Sky Help | Sky.com

You can use the HDFury Arcana, Arcana2-VRR or VRRoom to allow your 4K player (or multiple Sourmy ce devices) to send full uncompressed Atmos to the Bose 600 plus 4K video to the TV (and retain eARC/ARC for the TV Tuner, Apps and devices connected to the TV).

Joe
Thanks Joe

Not 100% sure if my 2019 QE65Q70R TV supports DD+ but it does appear as an option if I go into expert settings on the TV - although it's greyed out but that may be because I don't have a active connection to the HDMI ARC port yet.

If it does support DD+, sounds like I could use the HDMI ARC in my current set up to output both Sky Q and my 4K player via a HDFury Arcana to the Bose 600 and get Dolby Atmos sound !

Does that seem right ?

Yes the TV, and devices connected to it, could deliver Atmos as DD+, via the Arcana, and the 4K player, connected to the Arcana HDMI Input, will deliver full HD Atmos.

Joe

Sorry Joe, hopefully just one more question. It looks like the Arcana only has one HDMI input....if so, does that mean I need to pass both Sky Q and my 4K through the TV using DD+ to save me connecting and unconnecting cables ?

To be honest, I'm keen to use the full Dolby Atmos capability of the Bose soundbar with my 4K discs more than Sky Q if that makes sense.

You have a couple of options with the Arcana.

1. Add a suitable HDMI Switch ahead of the Arcana, will cost around £60, and switch multiple Source devices via the HDMI Input on the Arcana, that will support up to full HD Atmos from the connected Sources.

2. Connect SKY Q to an HDMI Input on the TV and connect the 4K Player to the HDMI Input on the Arcana - you then connect the Arcana to the TV ARC plus the eARC on the Bose.You can then listen to SKY Q plus any TV Tuner or Apps via ARC (which should support DD+) plus up to full HD Atmos from the 4K Player via the HDMI Input on the Arcana.

With CEC enabled you use the TV Remote to select which Source is sent to the Bose.

Joe

Any questions you can contact me via the TMFSolutions web page I linked to earlier in the thread.

Joe

My existing traditional 5.1 set up no longer works in my new house so I'm looking at the bose 600 to improve the sound experience.

I've a 2019 Samsung TV with HDMI ARC, a Sky Q box and a 4k player. My initial plan was to pass the sound from both Sky and 4k player through the TV to the soundbar but, with only optical and ARC (not eARC) TV outputs, my understanding is that it will only give me 5.1 as opposed to full Dolby Atmos.

Is that right ?

If so, can I just send audio directly from the 4k (there is an audio only HDMI port on my Sony 4K player) to the soundbar using the eARC input and use digital optical cable for Sky Q from the TV ? Thus getting Atmos from any 4K discs I play effectively using both input options on the soundbar ?

Thanks
Did you get this sorted as I just got the 600 sound bar and on my TV I only get the option to output DD+. I can confirm the Bose (via the app) is playing DD+ but I can’t get Dolby Atmos. Any help appreciated. I have a 2019 Samsung 4K TV with ARC and I am using that OP into the TV.

Thanks in advance for any help.

An ARC TV will only ever pass Atmos as DD+

Which Apps on your TV support Atmos and do you have the correct Subscription to access the Atmos soundtracks?

Joe

Did you get this sorted as I just got the 600 sound bar and on my TV I only get the option to output DD+. I can confirm the Bose (via the app) is playing DD+ but I can’t get Dolby Atmos. Any help appreciated. I have a 2019 Samsung 4K TV with ARC and I am using that OP into the TV.

Thanks in advance for any help.
No, the Bose 600 plays Atmos as 5.1 in my set up - which I'm OK with now that I've added the Bose 500 subwoofer to my configuration.

To get the full Atmos experience I think you need to add the Arcana box to the set-up (see further up in the thread) so you get and eARC to eARC connection.

I may add the Arcana to mine in due course.

I'm sure Joe will correct me if I've got this wrong.

The HD Fury Arcana is £209.95. You could take that and put that towards a new TV with eARC.

Last edited:
@JSWolf - the HDFury Arcana is available for £209.95 (Inc VAT and delivery) in the UK.

@Garry1998 - the Arcana can sit between the TV and eARC Soundbar and allow you to connect a suitable Source to the Input on the Arcana and you can then send full Video to the Display and full uncompressed Audio to the Soundbar.

Joe

@JSWolf - the HDFury Arcana is available for £209.95 (Inc VAT and delivery) in the UK.

@Garry1998 - the Arcana can sit between the TV and eARC Soundbar and allow you to connect a suitable Source to the Input on the Arcana and you can then send full Video to the Display and full uncompressed Audio to the Soundbar.

Joe
Thanks for pointing out my typo. It's fixed.

And keep in mind a TV ‘supporting’ eARC does not mean it has to support all audio formats; it’s definitely an option, as is the Arcana.

Joe

Thanks guys. I think I’ve had enough of Dolby Atmos and especially the new Bose products. In my opinion I think they are shite for the following reasons.

1/ my Bose 600 soundbar keeps disconnecting from my Samsung tv using exactly the same cable, settings etc as my LG 5.1 system.

2/ Can’t get Dolby Atmos which as one of the main reasons for supposedly upgrading.

3/ Just added Bose 300 surround speakers also and I thought I was going mad as suffer from mild Tinnitus. From the two receivers is a constant computer sound coming from inside. My wife confirmed this when she tried taking a nap on the Sofa behind which are the receivers and said there is a weird sound which is driving her nuts.

4/ I can’t get the sound bar to turn on and off automatically no matter what settings I use. Even when I turn it off using the app the rears stay on permanently with that damn annoying sound still rambling on in the background.

My sub hasn’t even arrived yet but I hate to think what weird shit that things is going to throw up.

I’m returning it all as a bad investment before it’s too late.

Thanks for your advice but no way am k spending more money to make a bad product kind of work.

Best regards

David.

My Samsung TV isn’t the latest but worked perfectly with the LG surround system. Which I just kept that. Now have nothing just the TV sound. Sold all the Bose crap and will wait until the New year to invest in a QLED Tv with Atmos etc later. Oh well Happy 2024.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom