Bose Smart Soundbar 900 with Dolby Atmos, It Really Works?

Jerezano

Novice Member
Reaction score
I know this soundbar is very new but I wonder if someone already test the new future Dolby Atmos and how is sounds, if it really works, if is a good competitor for other soundbars with dolby atmos, a lot of people including me waiting long time to Bose finally support Dolby Atmos please comment your opinions are very impotant.

This is the exact soundbar I am after and have looked here with very few responses.

Samsung and LB both seem way too buggy to me with issues with wifi, connectivity and generally buggy user reports.

This leaves me with either Sonos or Bose.

I used to have a Bose 300 with rear speakers and sub and loved it so am hoping this is going to be the replacement when they land here in Australia.

From reading YouTube reports it looks great and sounds even better!

Keep me posted and I will do the same. Also re your other post I believe that the 300 sub and rear speakers are all compatible with the 900 bar!

@Jerezano, I have both the BOSE 900 and SONOS Arc at home to test right now. I am new to Dolby codecs and surround sound as of a week ago.
  • They both work great
  • I was able to set up both easily
  • They each have strengths and weaknesses
  • 900 has Center Channel +/-; Arc does not
  • Arc allows you to stream all your favorite Music Apps. via wifi with good audio quality; 900 only has bluetooth for this
  • With no Surround speakers BOSE's bass seemed a bit tighter
  • Arc's soundstage seem a bit higher and wider when I first hooked it up. I remember feeling, "this one sounds better".
  • Waiting to get the HDFury Arcana box, to be able to source and play Atmos; my Panasonic TC-P50GT50 Plasma (circa 2012) will not trigger UHD/Atmos content from streaming services or pass anything other than LPCM 2.0 and 1080p.
I was with the BOSE for 3-4 days and really liked it. It's a very handsome unit. Then, went to the Arc for the the last 3-4 days and really like it (I just bought two One SLs for Surround; first time I've ever had surround and I love it). I'm gong to re-listen to the BOSE with the 700 surround speakers, or hoping I can somehow use the One SLs with it.

This is all so subjective and I'm not a audiophile that can speak like an Andrew Robinson about the nuances. I'm leaning towards the Arc, if only because I can stream from music apps via wifi and playing music sounds better (I may not understand how to use the 900 fully, however).

I'll follow up here, with my second 900 listen window using the surround speakers, which come tomorrow.

Last edited:
@Jerezano, I have both the BOSE 900 and SONOS Arc at home to test right now. I am new to Dolby codecs and surround sound as of a week ago.
  • They both work great
  • I was able to set up both easily
  • They each have strengths and weaknesses
  • 900 has Center Channel +/-; Arc does not
  • Arc allows you to stream all your favorite Music Apps. via wifi with good audio quality; 900 only has bluetooth for this
  • With no Surround speakers BOSE's bass seemed a bit tighter
  • Arc's soundstage seem a bit higher and wider when I first hooked it up. I remember feeling, "this one sounds better".
  • Waiting to get the HDFury Arcana box, to be able to source and play Atmos; my Panasonic TC-P50GT50 Plasma (circa 2012) will not trigger UHD/Atmos content from streaming services or pass anything other than LPCM 2.0 and 1080p.
I was with the BOSE for 3-4 days and really liked it. It's a very handsome unit. Then, went to the Arc for the the last 3-4 days and really like it (I just bought two One SLs for Surround; first time I've ever had surround and I love it). I'm gong to re-listen to the BOSE with the 700 surround speakers, or hoping I can somehow use the One SLs with it.

This is all so subjective and I'm not a audiophile that can speak like an Andrew Robinson about the nuances. I'm leaning towards the Arc, if only because I can stream from music apps via wifi and playing music sounds better (I may not understand how to use the 900 fully, however).

I'll follow up here, with my second 900 listen window using the surround speakers, which come tomorrow.
  • Turns out I was incorrect one item regarding the 900 above -- One can stream music from a mobile device over Wi-Fi.
  • The difference between the Arc and the 900 is that the Arc has better in-app (Sonos S2 app) features (playlists, searching to name two) and connects to all my streaming apps (Mixcloud, Soundcloud, YTMusic, Amazon Music, Apple Music); whereas, with the 900 I'm using the app on my phone only.

• Turns out I was incorrect one item regarding the 900 above -- One can stream music from a mobile device over Wi-Fi.
  • The difference between the Arc and the 900 is that the Arc has better in-app (Sonos S2 app) features (playlists, searching to name two) and connects to all my streaming apps (Mixcloud, Soundcloud, YTMusic, Amazon Music, Apple Music); whereas, with the 900 I'm using the app on my phone only.
Thank you for the information,what do you think about Sony HT-A9 do you have any comments about it?

Thank you for the information,what do you think about Sony HT-A9 do you have any comments about it?
If the 1st Gen HT-A9's weren't shipping with so many DOA speakers, I'd just buy that (can't find one to buy now, anyway) Everything I've read confirms all they Hype from Sony.

@Jerezano -- forgive all my typos, lol. I've narrowed it down to 5 -
  • Samsung Q950A
  • Bose 900
  • Samsung Arc
  • Sony HT-A9
  • Sennheiser Ambeo
They all have their +/-, depending on one's needs (I've only tested the Arc and 900).

I've definitely decided against testing the Ambeo, because I want physical surround speakers in the back; decided against the HT-A9, because the 1st Gen is shipping with too many DOA speakers, and my living room is so small that I wonder if I'd even get the full benefit of Sony's mapping tech for the Atmos/surround at the high price point of $2600. I have to decide on Sonos or Bose by Sunday.

If I keep the Bose, then that's it because my return window is over for the Bose. If I keep the Sonos for the next 3 weeks until my return window ends, then I have a quandary because Walmart charged $999 and they shipped me an Arc SL. I'm not paying $250 over; so even if I decide on Sonos I'm returning the one I have and most places are out until late Nov./Dec. for a replacement Arc (black).

Right now the Q950A just dropped in price by $400 to $1250 (I have no idea why) and they are available. So, I might order a Q950 and return Sonos, now. I hate that the Q950 can only be adjusted from the top of the soundbar; you can't adjust the channel settings with their app or remote from where you are sitting; completely retarded...

Then I'll have 30 days or more, to test the Q950A. If I don't like it, we'd be into late November when the Arcs' are supposed to start shipping again. If I do like it, it'd be the best price/value (it has HDMI inputs), because my HDFury Arcana ($280 shipped from Taiwan; this gizmo gives eArc/Atmos support to older TVs like mine that can't trigger and play Atmos with their ARC HDMI port) could be sold and I'd get, maybe $200-$230 back.

Sheesh...this is a pain in the ass because timing the returns to future availability of the various discussed products is difficult. However, I'm loving the Arc with the 2, One SLs. Looking forward to testing the Bose 900, with the 2, 700 surrounds tomorrow. I've never had surround before; it's sweetness...

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom