1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BOSE question!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by steffo100, Apr 23, 2003.

1. steffo100

steffo100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm going to the U.S next week and considering buying a Lifestyle 25, 50 or 35 system. I assume I'll need to use a power-transformer to use it in Europe.

Now I've heard that the system won't funtion well if I use a transformer.......is this true? Does it really matter???

Thanks!

2. perrdl

perrdl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you should read some of the comments regarding the Bose systems on these forums, just do a search.

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Agree totally with perrdl....also consider warranty and resale value issues as well.

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Alex agreeing with perrdl :D Bose systems are pretty awful (not IMO cos it's true!)

The Energy Take 5.1 with a £300 AV amp will outperform the Bose, and have better build quality, sound quality, relibility &upgradeability.

Anyone else want to pop along so they can also agree with me agreeing with Alex and perrdl :laugh:

5. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    steffo ... in answer to your question ... yes you will need a power transformer ... beyond that I'm not in a position to comment.

Vikki

6. muzz10

muzz10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steffo,
    I've had confirmation from Bose support that the US system will work with a voltage converter in the UK. There is a tweak you need to do on the music centre remote to get the UK FM/AM frequency ranges. I'll copy it the details below.
    Let us know how you get on, I'm intereted in the LS50 myself. Agreed not the best pure music sound but when you pay in USD it deffinatley makes the system more appealing. I don't think there's any other system that will do surround sound/4 zone music/RF remote and such small speakers in one package. If it sounds ok to your ears and you like the look then go for it.
    Good luck getting it back through customs, remember it was a gift from a long lost uncle!

Reply from Bose

You may use a voltage converter rated at 100 watts continuous use for the
    Wave Radio/CD and a converter rated at 500 watts continuous use for the
    Lifestyle 50. These are available at www.PartsExpress.com (product #'s
    120-805 and 120-810).

However, you should know that the amount of FM and AM stations that the
    110V version of the Wave Radio/CD will pick up in the UK will be limited, as

the tuner in this radio can not be changed. The Lifestyle 50 tuner can be
    changed, so it will be fully compatible in the UK with the appropriate voltage converter.
    Thank you for choosing Bose Corporation.
    Customer Support Team

7. muzz10

muzz10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steffo
    Did you buy a LS system from the US

8. steffo100

steffo100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I bought a LS 35. However, they had "dual voltage" version with a switchable 110/220 voltage. It works great. They also had LS 50 with that option. I guess it had been made by Bose....do you know?

9. muzz10

muzz10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steffo,
    Good to hear you got a LS35 with dual voltage over there. I had heard they weren't too keen on selling them for export. Where did you end up getting it from and how much? Also any problems getting it through customs over here. I think the price in USD makes the Bose systems more appealing, especially for mid budget multi-zone music/AV areas.

Cheers
    Muzz

10. steffo100

steffo100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ordered it from ebay "e collect direct".....sent it to a friend in the US. I picked it up and took it home. No problems with customs for me anyway. Got it for 2.300 USD......in Sweden I would have paid approx 5.600 USD......a bargain for me anyway!!