1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BOSE QC2 Question

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by edlomb, Oct 31, 2005.

1. edlomb

edlomb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi All

I'm thinking of shelling out the money for the QuietComfort2.

Mainly to be used for flights.

But I was thinking maybe I could get a pair of higher spec in-ear phones that could achieve the same result

I currently own the Shure e2C in-ear phones but I don't like them much and they would be uncomfortable to wear for long periods of time. Sound quality is ok but I find it lacking in bass. Music seems to bright.

However I have noticed some other models out there that are smaller and may do the trick.

I did audition the QC2s for about 2 minutes once and I did like them but £275 is steap for a pair of phones so thought I'd look for other alternatives.

Anyway any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Eddie

2. Hasselhoffia

Hasselhoffia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was pretty seriously looking at the QC2's myself, but was ummmming and ahhhhing about the price. They certainly looked a comfortable headphone, but £275? In Aussie they had a 30 day trial offer, but they don't seem to do it here in the UK. And it's one of those things that I think you really do have to try on a plane, you can't get the same impression of the noise cancellation in a store, its a completely different background noise. Plus they looked fairly bulky, not good if you're wanting to travel light and need to stuff them in a backpack.

So I kept looking and found the Sennheiser PXC300's. £129.99 in stores, but if you get searching on the web you can find them for £89.99 Delivered. A third of the price of the QC2's. Decided that I'd start with these and if I didn't like them then eBay them as they're going for pretty close to that on eBay.co.uk at the moment.

And they're good! Nice and small (smaller earpad then I originally thought they'd be), with a travel case, so you can pop them in your carry-on bags pocket easily, reasonably good sound in a audio-hostile enviroment such as a plane, and should be comfortable to wear for long periods of time. I've only had the opportunity to wear them on an hour and a half flight to Switzerland so far and they were very comfortable. I've got my usual hour 27 hour epic flight home to New Zealand next month so should be able to give them a real test.

The cancellation works, it takes the raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar out of the air conditioning on the plane. You can still hear the lowend of the engines and a slight airconditioning noise, but its reduced a fair amount in the middle frequencies. If you hold the phones hard against your ears it really blocks out everything, if only the band could squeeze together hard enough to do this full time! :)

I wasn't expecting decent sound on the plane even with the noise cancellation, but you do hear quite a bit more, rather then just the general gist of what you are listening to with normal 'phones. Out and about on the streets you can get some fairly good bass out of them too, certainly more capable then my pair of Sennheiser PMX60's.

Downside is the battery pack that it uses, can get in the way a bit, but if you're just pulling them out of a bag to listen to on a plane rather then in your jeans pocket to walk around town with then its no biggie.

But its the noise cancellation that's the most important feature, and you sit there for a while at first just flicking the power on and off to hear the difference. When I first used them in my office, it completely killed the sound of the airconditioning and was a real 'Holy crap!' moment, but on a plane, the engines and air conditioning were just too overpowering to be fully cancelled out.

I'd like to try some IEM's now for comparison, probably the Shure E4C's, but I'm unsure about the comfort factor for wearing them for 27 hours. But I guess with the money I've saved, I can buy some just for the hell of it, and still have spent less then a pair of QC2's.. . :)

3. Leporello

Leporello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    People on these forums regard Bose headphones with some contempt. I have a pair and don't think they deserve the panning on any other grounds than their price. I use amplified Sennheiser 600s for home use.

I think the best bang for buck out there for your use are the ex-Concorde Sennheiser HD25s which were selling on Ebay recently for between £35 and £45. Retail these cans cost over £100.

4. GJC

GJC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    This month Sky TV magazine has an add for the Bose QC phones re: 30day trial.