• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Bose or similar?

shiwarrior

Established Member
Hi all

Forgive me if this is the wrong section

I am looking for a system that doesn't have external speakers, the only one I know of is "Bose"

so I need some advice on what to get, I've heard the bose is good for tunes that are basey, like rave, house, etc, but I prefer Rock, heavy rock and 80's music

Budget? Bose is expensive enough, but im currently looking at 2nd hand ones either a mark 2 or the new mark 3

requirements? CD player, aux input so I can connect my Ipod classic and my computer, headphone socket would be nice too

Cheers

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Do I understand correctly, you want a complete self-contained one-box stereo system?

Any particular reason why?

How much money do you have to spend?

Steve/bluewizard

shiwarrior

Established Member
Thanks for your reply Steve

Yep, I want a one box system, no space for speakers anywhere at all, I had a Yamaha amp with large speakers which I sold a few years back

I have a quadrispire unit, which my TV sits on with my DVD player on another shelf, the Bose (or similar) will go on another shelf, and that's all the space I have available in my bedroom

max £100 really, as said looking at 2nd hand bose systems

cheers

shiwarrior

Established Member
Doing some googleing, I came across a Vita R4 ?
reviews seem to suggest they are far superior to the Bose?
in which case, ill up my budget

Fourlegs

Standard Member
Doing some googleing, I came across a Vita R4 ?
reviews seem to suggest they are far superior to the Bose?
in which case, ill up my budget

I think you are headed in the right direction with the Vita R4 compared to Bose. Obviously hear it if you can first but if not and you are, say, buying off a well known Internet auction site then you ought to be happy with the R4 bearing in mind the sort of thing it is.

Fourlegs

Standard Member
No problem.

My father once got one of the Bose boxes on a money back if you don't like it trial. It was obvious that it had been engineered to sound initially impressive but long term the sound was not very good so it went back.

Cribbster

Established Member
I know it may not necessarily be that popular an opinion in these parts but I currently have a Bose Wave DAB / CD player and I think, for what it is, that the sound is very good. At the time I compared it with a similar priced Denon all in one and the Bose utterly spanked the Denon. For a limited space environment where you want an all in one I can recommend at least listening to the Bose. I think it sounds very good for the size and what it is. My main observation is that they are a bit over priced. [Spot the understatement there!] I personally still wouldn't choose Bose for home cinema or a bigger system however. It's a bit of horses for courses. We use the Bose in our kitchen at the moment where have limited surface space for a unit and it gives good depth and clarity.

Fourlegs

Standard Member
I think the moral is to listen and compare and go with what you prefer. Otherwise you run the risk of just ending up with what someone else prefers which may well not be what you like.

Davekale86

Prominent Member
Onkyo do an all in one unit with a CD player and u can connect your iphone to it I used to have one and IMO sounded really good

Sent from my iPhone using AVForums

shiwarrior

Established Member
Thanks guys, actually I didn't mention, but my Step Dad has one for his office, and yes I do live in the same house as him, and to me it does sound very good

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom