1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bose or Kef?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Ango, Dec 26, 2003.

1. Ango

Ango
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Got around £400-£500 to spend, haven't bought amp or anything yet. Just looking at speakers. Mainly used for music, may be used for tv/dvd later on. Used in my bedroom, not really enough space for large floor standers.

I like the small cube type speakers, my dad is trying to persuade me to get bose, which we are currently using in our home cinema. But I think I would prefer some kefs...

Any suggestions?

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,070
    In order of preference (worst first) in my opinion:

Bose
    KEF
    Energy Take 5.2

...but then, speakers are very much a matter of preference.

The major downsides of Bose are:

1: Subwoofer (Acoustimass unit) produces too much midrange to compensate for poor midrange performance of satellites - which makes it more directional than it should be

2: Bose Sats only work with Bose Acoustmass - so, if you wish to have, say, better, tighter bass, you can't just upgrade the sub. You are stuck with it - or have to replace the satellites too. Any other combination (except Bose) can be mixed and matched to suit.

3: Many people, just generally, consider Bose to be inferior. However, you already have experience so you know what to expect.

Personally, I think you could surpass them easily (and the KEFs) with some Energy Satellites and, say, a REL Quake sub. However there is no substitute for a personal audition somewhere with good demo facilities (eg. Sevenoaks).

3. aMb

aMb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just setup the Kef Coda series and I'm truely impressed with it, in comparision to what I was using before :) You can get the whole package for just over £400 online which is definitely a good deal at that price!

4. Ango

Ango
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think I was really thinking about keff eggs, I like the KHT 2005.2 speakers, but that would probably set me back a bit more, what kind of price would I have to spend on a amp to power those speakers?

5. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    the eggs are very well respected little speakers....... whereas the bose are well respected little cardboard boxes......

someone will no doubt try and argue..... but if you are anything like the average buyer, the kef eggs are simply a no brainer compared with bose

ad

6. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've heard a few PC speaker systems that are comparable to the Bose Acoustimass-based sets at a fraction of a price.

MuFu.

7. Mike430

Mike430

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Demo the JMLab Sib Cub system. I like them, Kef Eggs and Gallo speakers. Preference is the Sibs with a PSB Subsonic i subwoofer... if I was to choose a smaller surround/audio system. GL

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Also demo Infinity oreus 2 oreus sats and an MJ pro 50 would be superb, allowing for extra sats to be added as and when, also demo M5x series from mission and LM range from B&W

9. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Definately Bose - Kef just cant compete. Do you really think all those millions of Bose customers are stupid ??:)

10. Ango

Ango
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    rags, you being sarcy ? Also, does anyone have any idea at what figure I would be looking at for an amp to power those KHT 2005.2 kefs?

11. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Yup :D

My wife bought a Bose Radio CD for me as a birthday gift a while ago - really sucks but just didnt have the heart to return it. I turn it on now and again just to demonstrate how much I love it.

Also heard several bose 5.1 set ups at friends and family houses - all of them didnt sound good but when your host is telling you how impressed he/she is with the sound [and so is everyone else in the room], you just dont bother with the education bit.

12. Ango

Ango
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    lol, I was always amazed by our bose speakers, maybe its came to this stage in my life to move on. Ive arranged to go here the Kefs on Tuesday, might also try and compare it to some of the other speakers suggested above.

I will mainly use the kefs for 75% music and 25% Films....

13. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Also try to get a demo of the monitor audio radius.
    Cheers Gonzo.

14. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    And she went all the way to Oxford to get it - they have an outlet store there. I had made my mind up to return it but never quite managed it - it's sitting on my bedside table at the moment - 360 notes down the drain.

15. Ango

Ango
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    lol, i live in oxford. Send it over and Ill do it for you :D

16. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,070
    At the risk of repeating myself - many here have cited the KEF eggs as an alternative and there is no doubt that these are
    a) very good
    b) much, much better than anything Bose has to offer.

But, for similar amounts of money, the KEF setup can be substantially beaten (IMO) by the Energy's.

You MUST go listen before buying. It's the only way to make such a decision.

17. Ango

Ango
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just came back from sevenoaks, their service was shockingly bad. I phoned up before hand to book a demo of the kefs, when I got there on time, someone was already in the demo room. I came back in 30 mins when I told it would be ready and someone else was now in there looking at a plasma! Last time I ever go there, Im on going to go to audio-t for my demo, lets hope their service is better!

18. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I would be very careful of such a sweeping statement!
    Listen to some AM15 before you say they are no good!

19. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Are they worth ~£1000?

MuFu.

20. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    well I am not going to be popular for saying this but they can sound better than Gallo micros which are more money!
    I agree that bose is expensive and the lifestyle systems are not as good as seperates for the same money but they are very easy to use install and look OK. You cant get a world wide reputation if you only produce crap! and BOSE direct reflecting technology is good, the Bass Module is just that it is not a subwoofer! a Bass module hence it will run at higher frequencies, also the adaptique set up technology they have is as good as MACC
    dont slate till you have heard it!
    I wouldnt buy BOSE but i wouldnt buy gallo micros KEF or any other satellites either as i like midrange and am happpy to put up with good full range, large speakers to get it!

21. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    A friend of mine just bought a flat and was going to get a Bose system installed and I stopped him and recommended Gallo's instead - maybe I shouldnt have if the sound is no better.

22. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    rags he needs to listen to both and decide which is better to his ears. #I am all for more demos of more kit! Some people dont mind hearing a little less midrange and prefer the sound they get from BOSE,
    DEMO DEMO DEMO
    And please buy from the shop you spent 3 hours demoing at, most dealers will be as competitive as they can be, but dont except sub standard service.

23. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I hate all these life style systems they are a bit "gay "

Nothing like a few nice real veneer speakers

24. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    Sevenoaks now sell Bose and they say the Bose is better than the Gallos if you ask them

I think this is also true as I have heard the Gallos a few times now and they always sound too shrilly to me - I always want to like them but I never do after listening to them

I got a home demo of the new kef eggs and they were ok for movies but when I played a music dvd they disappointed as they sounded like small speakers desperately wanting to be large ones

Been an owner of the Bose am15 system the only weakness it has is the sub-woofer is not a rel type sub woofer in that it does not go really low as a rel, but this is a problem with all sub-sat systems

It can be rectified by adding a second dedicated sub-woofer to the system if you are a die hard sub-woofer person

I would rate the systems as Bose am15 = first, Kef eggs = second and the Gallos not really at all

25. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Bose ibass module is just that, it is *NOT* a SUB-Woofer So for deep tight bass a Subwoffer would be needed.

I like Big proper speakers but a lot of people dont, dont have room and really they are ideal, BOSE Systems are a different matter but their speakers system are good.

26. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    a year back people were allbut changing their M&K's for gallos.... were this thread true, it really does prove the point about product hype

ad

27. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I think there is one very good reason for that ad
    TBH until i heard BOSE i thought it was overpriced crap! so i think it proves that until you demo with your own ears its all nonesense and room accoustics is huge factor! not to mention ambient air pressure temperature etc etc etc

28. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Some bose products really are crap for the money they ask - my wave radio cd is a good exaple of this. Same with their 321 cinema system. Both sound pretty nasty - well to me at least.

Their sub sat systems are not bad I suppose - most people who have them love them to bits. I set my uncles house up with a home cinema system consisting of - Mission 783 floorstanders and centre, a REL 200e, mission on the wall rear channels, Pioneer 757 dvd player and an ILINK Pioneer amp. It was profesionally installed with no cables etc in site. To my ears it sounded great and he loved it too and we got a cracking deal on the speakers and sub to boot. That was six months ago and within that space of time he has purchased about 600 dvd's - I kid you not :D. Anyway he comes round to our house for Christmas lunch and tells me that his mate has installed a bose system in his house which sounds fantastic and is very discrete. Now I have heard his system and there is no way in hell that any bose system can sound as good [and I have heard quite a few of them as per my earlier post]. But to his ears - he is not really the hifi/home theatre type - it did and I suppose thats all that counts.

29. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Agree completely about WAVE radio load of rubbish as a hifi!!! (it was only every supposed to be a beside alarm clock unit job!) but the £400 pricetag means people think it is a main room system! 321 is not my cup of tea either but we arnt talking about them what we are talking about is the AM5/10/15 speakers and the 201/301/161/VCX 10 units, these are not the same as the wave stuff.
    Also people in general attach a lot of value on what audio products look like!
    Stupid but true!

30. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    I have an am15 system and am well pleased with it.

However, when I have mentioned that in the past, I have been royally slagged off by certain people here.

I think the sound is great,but would be interested in the idea of an extra subwoofer as ,being dim, I thought I had one in the bass unit!
    Also as mine is a few years old,would like to upgrade to 6.1 anyone know how to do this?

Phil