bose noise reducing headphones

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by scott33b, Aug 31, 2004.

1. scott33b

scott33b
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi folks. Going to buy a set of Bose noise reducing headphones for flying, but just noticed Phillips do them (HN 100). Anyone tried these? Are Bose the best? I don't mind paying the money if thy are the best.
    Cheers

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    I'd be very wary of the Bose 'phones,but in that price range there are Sennheisers to consider also,and things like the Etymotic Research in-ear phones,which will reduce ambient noise by 20dB or thereabouts,as well as giving very good sound quality...i use a set of those on plane flights.

3. arcamalpha

arcamalpha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Curiosity scott, how much are the bose?
    I saw these in one of them weekend magazines, paying for them in instalments, bose are not very proud of how much they cost because they do not specify a price in their material, just the fact that you can pay in monthly instalments, which tells me they may be quite expensive.

4. scott33b

scott33b
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi arcamalpha. The Bose headphones are £275, But I'm off to Miami on Friday and they're $300 over the water. I'll do without on the way there for over £100 saving!

5. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Any chance of explaining why, please?

I thought Bose were the best!

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Sound quality,build quality,value...all the usual things...just my opinion of course,but I do think there are better alternatives,such as the Etymotics,at a lower price.

7. arcamalpha

arcamalpha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Nice one scott! price wise I guess, thats about £172 at the current exchange rate.
    We fly to orlando in october for a fortnight, where exactly are you buying them? how about the duty etc?

8. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,932
    The Gadjet Show on 5 recentley did a 5 way test on these , can't remember the result .Don't know if they have a site ,but it may be worth a look (just had a quick search for it , its not :thumbsdow )
    This post has just become irrelevent :rotfl:

9. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sennheiser pxc250 at about £100,
    from my take on the reputation of bose these are direct equivelants.
    Many opinions rate bose as good if you divide their price by about 3!!

10. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,610
    I bought 2 pairs of sennheiser pxc250 for about £75 each and I thought they were great. I read a review that included the Bose and the Sennheisers won.

I haven't heard the bose so I can't comment.

One thing to bear in mind is that when the Pilot uses the PA it can scare the **** out of you as the noise reduction makes higher volume PA REALLY loud! I think this is an issue with all noise reduction systems.

11. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I have the Bose QuietComfort2 headphones, and can confirm that they sound fantastic. Most people who bash Bose headphones tend not to have heard them.

The way I see it, if you like the way they sound, buy them, if not, there are options.

The build on my Bose headphones is fantastic, lightweight so don't feel heavy on the head, and they cut out so much background noise that tube/train and plane journeys are so much more pleasant.

By all means, listen to a few brands, I preffered the Bose headphones in a blind test. Mind you, I did pick them up for a bargain £160 from the States a while back, there is no way I would pay £275 for them, they are good, but not THAT good.

12. Tobez

Tobez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had these on 30 days trial.

There ok BASS is weak over priced not worth it.

Dont get my vote for that price get the Etoynmic 4ps

BOSE overpriced

13. scott33b

scott33b
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just back from the states with a set of Bose headphones £178 at current exchange rate. They are superb. excellent clarity and outstanding base.
    cheers

14. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Scott.

Glad to see you got the Phones. Only just found this thread as I am looking to buy a pair myself. Normally I sit at the front wearing the Senheiser version with a microphone, they cost £600 a pair but I don't rate them that highly!!!

I was about to recommend the Bose shop at the top of International drive in Orlando but the shops are a bit expensive (read rip off) up there. Where did you get them in the end, and can you recommend them?

Thanks, Gerald. :thumbsup:

15. scott33b

scott33b
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Jetjockey. I bought them at that very shop! I think they are excellent.

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    if anyone wants a pair cheaper but doesnt want to fly to states BOSE have an outlet shop in OXfords discount shopping centre that sells all the 30 day trial returns....

17. duncandmann

duncandmann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

I bought a pair of Bose QuietComfort headphones a few weeks back, to use with my iPod, as I really don't like the standard Apple in-ear phones, which start to hurt after a while. I reckoned I couldn't go wrong given that you can get them on 30 days sale or return. I didn't return them...

The sound is classic Bose - the word "rich" comes to mind, and they do lack the kind of absolute transparency you can get with the very best phones. BUT, they are very well designed and built, the noise reduction is excellent, they go loud without getting stressy - and they are comfortable enough to wear for hours. They make in my opinion a very good match to an iPod, though of course the phones (this side of the Atlantic, anyway) costs as much as the iPod! I tend to run them with a bit of treble EQ on the iPod.

18. john87

john87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :rolleyes: :suicide:

19. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I take it you have heard them then?

20. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I've always been curious about the QC2. I have the Etymotics and various Shures and have owned the PXC250 but I was intrigued when a friend I'd recommended the PXC250 to said that the Quietcomfort 2's that a fellow flier had let him try sounded a lot better and cancelled a lot better... and the PXC250 is not a slouch for the money.

The one thing I'm not sure about is the wearing comfort of the QC2's, purely as they're circumaural phones. They'll be physically comfy I'm sure, but what about heat? You know when the cabin suddenly seems to heat up at times for no particular reason? Or when the plane's just generally too warm? The PXC250 just sits on your ears (as opposed to around them) and the cups are only 4cm across. Even then my earlobes were sweating. I find the Etys/Shures much more comfy as they just sit in your ear. I'd imagine that with a design like the QC2's I'd be boiling some of the time, just like I was when I tried the Sennheiser HD280 / Sony MDR-7506 on a plane. How do you owners find them for that?

21. Smiley Man

Smiley Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have tried these, they are very good, the noise cancelling is top-notch and you can't hear anything else at all :thumbsup: Sound quality is great, nice bass and treble, i think my Grado SR225s have a more natural sound with better bass though :)

They're a bit overpriced but aren't all Bose :D :D :D :D