Bose MIE2i Review

stoplis

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I'll start by saying that I understand that many people believe that better equipment is available for cheaper, but I would like to explain why I use and like these.

I have had a lot of different types of headphones over the years and I have come to the conclusion that proper in(ner)-ear headphones don't work for me. I have tried many different ones from various different brands, at different price points over the years, the last ones I bought were the Klipsch X10's and whilst they fit well (I couldn't hear any outside noise and they stayed in better than any other ones I have tried before) I couldn't hear any bass.

I bought the first Bose in-ear headphones about four years ago and I really liked them. They were the most comfortable headphones I ever had and sounded really good, but slightly bass heavy.
Recently they broke, they had a straight line jack and the cable finally broke in it. So it was time to replace them and with the in-ear 2's coming out I thought I'd give them a go.

Comparing them to the originals they have made many improvements.
First the new tip design ensures that they stay in your ears better as well as locking them onto the buds better. This was my (and many peoples) biggest complaint about the old ones. They have also changed the jack from straight line to an angled one, which is an improvement in my book. The only design change I don't particularly like is the cable is now black and white, rather than just black.

They have also tweaked the audio quality mainly the bass, which has been reduced and tightened. This has vastly improved the sound.

I have now tried them with a few different music types and they perform much better than the originals, with a tight bass and a detailed high end. Phil Collins - In the Air Tonight (256kbps AAC) sounds fantastic, better than I've ever heard before.
Ellie Goulding - Starry Eyed (Apple Lossless) sounds so detailed and clear it's awesome.
Timbaland - Give It To Me (256kbps AAC) delivers precise kicking bass, with out being over-powering.
Pendulum - The Island Pt. 1 (320kbps MP3) whilst giving good bass it delivers clarity, allowing you to clearly hear the echos on the claps and the symbols in the background that I never noticed/heard before.
System of a Down - B.Y.O.B. (Apple Lossless) sounds fantastic and fresh.
As you can see I have listened to many different types of music and they all shine. I mainly listen to Rock/Metal and some more alternative music (like Stereophonics, Snow Patrol).

Pros
+ Probably the most comfortable in-ear headphones available (perfect for those that don't like inner-ear headphones).
+ Clear, tight, detailed sound.
+ In-line controls are a nice addition.
+ A very strong upgrade over the original models.
+ Good for all music types

Cons
- The way the fit doesn't offer good sound isolation (in either direction).
- The new design doesn't look as nice as the originals.
- If full in(ner)-ear headphones suit you better headphones can be found at this price (probably).
- Lower quality music (bellow 192kbps) is really apparent and can sound really bad (but if you have any music that low quality you should be ashamed).

Overall I am extremely impressed with the improvements they've made, whilst remaining the most comfortable headphones ever.
I would recommend these to anyone looking for good sounding comfortable in-ear headphones, particularly if they don't like inner-ear style headphones.

Any questions, just ask.

Last edited:
I'll start by saying that I understand that many people believe that better equipment is available for cheaper, but I would like to explain why I use and like these.

I have had a lot of different types of headphones over the years and I have come to the conclusion that proper in(ner)-ear headphones don't work for me. I have tried many different ones from various different brands, at different price points over the years, the last ones I bought were the Klipsch X10's and whilst they fit well (I couldn't hear any outside noise and they stayed in better than any other ones I have tried before) I couldn't hear any bass.

I bought the first Bose in-ear headphones about four years ago and I really liked them. They were the most comfortable headphones I ever had and sounded really good, but slightly bass heavy.
Recently they broke, they had a straight line jack and the cable finally broke in it. So it was time to replace them and with the in-ear 2's coming out I thought I'd give them a go.

Comparing them to the originals they have made many improvements.
First the new tip design ensures that they stay in your ears better as well as locking them onto the buds better. This was my (and many peoples) biggest complaint about the old ones. They have also changed the jack from straight line to an angled one, which is an improvement in my book. The only design change I don't particularly like is the cable is now black and white, rather than just black.

They have also tweaked the audio quality mainly the bass, which has been reduced and tightened. This has vastly improved the sound.

I have now tried them with a few different music types and they perform much better than the originals, with a tight bass and a detailed high end. Phil Collins - In the Air Tonight (256kbps AAC) sounds fantastic, better than I've ever heard before.
Ellie Goulding - Starry Eyed (Apple Lossless) sounds so detailed and clear it's awesome.
Timbaland - Give It To Me (256kbps AAC) delivers precise kicking bass, with out being over-powering.
Pendulum - The Island Pt. 1 (320kbps MP3) whilst giving good bass it delivers clarity, allowing you to clearly hear the echos on the claps and the symbols in the background that I never noticed/heard before.
System of a Down - B.Y.O.B. (Apple Lossless) sounds fantastic and fresh.
As you can see I have listened to many different types of music and they all shine. I mainly listen to Rock/Metal and some more alternative music (like Stereophonics, Snow Patrol).

Pros
+ Probably the most comfortable in-ear headphones available (perfect for those that don't like inner-ear headphones).
+ Clear, tight, detailed sound.
+ In-line controls are a nice addition.
+ A very strong upgrade over the original models.
+ Good for all music types

Cons
- The way the fit doesn't offer good sound isolation (in either direction).
- The new design doesn't look as nice as the originals.
- If full in(ner)-ear headphones suit you better headphones can be found at this price (probably).
- Lower quality music (bellow 192kbps) is really apparent and can sound really bad (but if you have any music that low quality you should be ashamed).

Overall I am extremely impressed with the improvements they've made, whilst remaining the most comfortable headphones ever.
I would recommend these to anyone looking for good sounding comfortable in-ear headphones, particularly if they don't like inner-ear style headphones.

Any questions, just ask.

Thanks, good review. Personally I don't like any inner ear headphones just don't find them comfotable at all. I think the design of the bose in-ear 2s is a bit strange with the big plastic bit holding them in your ear. I'm currently looking at the Bose triport on ears which seem pretty well reviewed from users at least though I'm sure people on here will say better can be had for less from other brands.

I think the design of the bose in-ear 2s is a bit strange with the big plastic bit holding them in your ear.

It's actually a ridiculously soft silicone. When I first got them out of the box it was so soft and flexable I though that it would never work and I made the 'wings' a bit pointless. But they just work and you can't even really feel that bit.

It's actually a ridiculously soft silicone. When I first got them out of the box it was so soft and flexable I though that it would never work and I made the 'wings' a bit pointless. But they just work and you can't even really feel that bit.

i thought it was hard plastic.

However ... i love the bose AE and OE but i still struggle to find much good to say about the IE. They remind me of the Goldring GX range ... a bit too .... smooth ... a bit too safe! :rolleyes: `But i'll have to take your word on the new version.

Good review though:thumbsup:

Hi,

I have been looking for a replacement for my S4i, and I am thinking about buying MIE2i. Do you know how the MIE2i cord handles in cold weather? Perhaps an odd question, but my S4i becomes completely stiff whenever it's below zero degrees Celsius, and when I turn my head, they either fall out or pull on my eardrums. I am really getting tired of having my eardrums pulled out.

I find the sound on S4i to be OK, but not fantastic. I have read some reviews that praise S4i while not being as happy about MIE2i. Could you compare the sound quality of MIE2i with any of these: Klipsch Image S4i, Koss Porta Pro, V-Moda Vibe duo, Sennheiser HD-25, Sennheiser HD 650?

How well does the microphone on MIE2i perform? I get complaints about my S4i all the time, and always end up with the microphone very close to my mouth.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Best,
Joel

Last edited:
the last ones I bought were the Klipsch X10's and whilst they fit well (I couldn't hear any outside noise and they stayed in better than any other ones I have tried before) I couldn't hear any bass.

Let me know if your selling your X10's cheap !!!

:smashin:

The mic works well on these and they are one of the best in ear earphones out there. For the price and functionality these are one of the best around. I guess I have to qualify my statement as some won't believe what I say.

I have the Senn HE60 electrostatic headphones (probably one of the best in the world) behind one of the acknowledged best HE90. I have HD650, Grado RS1 and have the westone 3's. Have also had shure e500, various in ears, Senn HD600, 200, 100, audio technica, etc, etc I have even loaned some of my gear out to people on here. Let me say if you need a set of headphones, that need to be portable and used with say the iphone these are ideal, good sound, good functionality (volume up/down, fast foward/back, answer/end call and more....), good comfort and reasonable isolation from sound leakage while allowing you to hear external noise. The End.

Thought I'd answer my own questions in case someone else has the same questions. I purchased the MIE2i headset about two weeks ago. I have not noticed any temperature problems with the cord.

The sound quality is excellent. I tried the headset in a shop before buying it, and it didn't take long to conclude that it is the best in-ear headset I have ever tried. Works well regardless of volume.

The microphone is not significantly better compared to my other headsets, as far as the people I call are concerned. However, it is closer to the mouth than S4i, which is an improvement.

I am very happy with MIE2i and I recommend it to anyone not bothered by the lack of noise insulation (not great in crowds or on the subway).

Very comfortable to wear.

Again, thanks to Reano. :)

I also have a pair of these, and whilst I would not suggest they are the best in the world, or maybe even for the money, I have found them excellent, especially as mainly used at the Gym, where they are extremely comfortable, give good sound reproduction (maybe a tad bassy), and seem to be pretty impervious to sweat.
Also notice that What HiFi gave them 5 stars in their test this month.

Hi quick query. I still have a set of the Classic Bode In Ear and have had these since they were released. I get on really well with them unless i am walking around (London commuting :().

So my question is this: Does anyone know if the Bose Stayhear Tips will fit the Classics, they look like they would from the pictures but not sure...

Thanks alot,
Jim.

Hi, just called Bose (Sorry should have first) and they have confirmed that they do fit. Happy days.

I also have a pair of these, and whilst I would not suggest they are the best in the world, or maybe even for the money, I have found them excellent, especially as mainly used at the Gym, where they are extremely comfortable, give good sound reproduction (maybe a tad bassy), and seem to be pretty impervious to sweat.
Also notice that What HiFi gave them 5 stars in their test this month.

I love these headphones for numerous reasons--the fit is fantastic, which is important to me because try as I may, in-ear headphones just have never worked for me. The basic Mac 'phones are the worst; I mean, I'd be sitting at my desk, hardly moving, would turn my head, catch the cord on my collar and the things would pop out, just like that. You can imagine, then, how un-stable they are in the gym or while running, for example.

My first pair of Bose earbuds was fine until I mysteriously lost the sound in the right ear; I gave the Bose workmanship the benefit of the doubt and blamed the damage on myself--thought I'd bent them the wrong way during a flight.

But after struggling with the MIE2is, I'm starting to question Bose. I got my first pair in early January, barely two months since they'd been on the market here in Canada. They were working fine until one day at the gym, when, for some reason, my gen 5 Nano (8 GB) started reading me my playlists; not playing the song, just reading my playlists out of nowhere. I was like "ok, this is a little weird" so I put down the weights and fiddled with it, only to find that the volume control/song selection/etc didn't work at all; the remote was completely on the fritz. So I go home, try them in my iPhone 4 (32 GB, with all the latest software updates), and there's still problems; voice control was automatically activated, it started playing a song I hadn't even selected (I hadn't even selected "iPod" on the phone) and again, no volume control, nada.

I tried my iPhone 4 headphones on both devices; no problems. Execpt for the fit, of course.

So needless to say, after dropping $160 CDN on these I was a little frustrated. I go back to my retailer, and even though the 'phones were past the one-month return date, they managed to trick the computer into letting them exchange them for me. So I am happy.

Until, two weeks later, the EXACT SAME THING happens to my new set of 'phones. I'm in the gym, merrily going about my business, and the thing starts reading me my playlists and the remote is completely kaput.

Now, here I am wondering if it's because I'm at the gym, and maybe a bead of sweat has entered through the mic and has proceeded to cause mayhem, but ABC1 says that their MIE2is are mainly for gym use and they have had no problems, so that can't be it.

To their credit, Bose support was really good; they emailed me a shipping label and said they'd get me a new pair at no charge, including S&H. They said they have never heard of the problem and suggested that maybe the buttons were jamming or the jack was sending mixed messages to my devices.

Anyone else here having similar problems?

If the problem persists with my third pair, I'm going to have to go another way--any suggestions? Please remember that fit is paramount to me.

Thanks, folks.

Last edited:
I love these headphones for numerous reasons--the fit is fantastic, which is important to me because try as I may, in-ear headphones just have never worked for me. The basic Mac 'phones are the worst; I mean, I'd be sitting at my desk, hardly moving, would turn my head, catch the cord on my collar and the things would pop out, just like that. You can imagine, then, how un-stable they are in the gym or while running, for example.

My first pair of Bose earbuds was fine until I mysteriously lost the sound in the right ear; I gave the Bose workmanship the benefit of the doubt and blamed the damage on myself--thought I'd bent them the wrong way during a flight.

But after struggling with the MIE2is, I'm starting to question Bose. I got my first pair in early January, barely two months since they'd been on the market here in Canada. They were working fine until one day at the gym, when, for some reason, my gen 5 Nano (8 GB) started reading me my playlists; not playing the song, just reading my playlists out of nowhere. I was like "ok, this is a little weird" so I put down the weights and fiddled with it, only to find that the volume control/song selection/etc didn't work at all; the remote was completely on the fritz. So I go home, try them in my iPhone 4 (32 GB, with all the latest software updates), and there's still problems; voice control was automatically activated, it started playing a song I hadn't even selected (I hadn't even selected "iPod" on the phone) and again, no volume control, nada.

I tried my iPhone 4 headphones on both devices; no problems. Execpt for the fit, of course.

So needless to say, after dropping $160 CDN on these I was a little frustrated. I go back to my retailer, and even though the 'phones were past the one-month return date, they managed to trick the computer into letting them exchange them for me. So I am happy.

Until, two weeks later, the EXACT SAME THING happens to my new set of 'phones. I'm in the gym, merrily going about my business, and the thing starts reading me my playlists and the remote is completely kaput.

Now, here I am wondering if it's because I'm at the gym, and maybe a bead of sweat has entered through the mic and has proceeded to cause mayhem, but ABC1 says that their MIE2is are mainly for gym use and they have had no problems, so that can’t be it.

To their credit, Bose support was really good; they emailed me a shipping label and said they'd get me a new pair at no charge, including S&H. They said they have never heard of the problem and suggested that maybe the buttons were jamming or the jack was sending mixed messages to my devices.

Anyone else here having similar problems?

If the problem persists with my third pair, I'm going to have to go another way--any suggestions? Please remember that fit is paramount to me.

Thanks, folks.

I'm having the exact same problem, and looking to see if others have had it. After about 15 minutes into my workout, I'm starting to sweat pretty thoroughly and that's when the buttons stop functioning. I'm guessing sweat is getting in the module and it's short circuiting... who knows. I've also had it randomly start increasing in volume until I had to pull them out. I ONLY use these when I'm working out, but at other times I've had no trouble with them.

Great headphones otherwise, I love the fit, the clip, the cord, the jack, even the placement of the ipod control (when it works). I guess I will call Bose tech support to get help.

Had exactly the same problem - I could've written the post myself. Also on my second pair which have developed the same issue. Also use in the gym - it could be a sweat thing but seems unlikely. The ipod & jack are protected so the sweat can only come from the in ear pieces. I don't really want to change - others may sound better but I like the way these fit and you do don't have to jam them in yourn ear like most in-ear phones.

I am having the same problems. Bose products are becoming so bad. Total lack of quality. Did you find any solution for the problem?

Never solved the problem. Eventually changed them for some isport immersion which don't sound nearly as good and are uncomfortable. Wasn't going to risk a third pair of the Bose. Must be something to do with the iphone controls - probably worth getting the cheaper ones without the controls if they're not important to you.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom