Bose - looking for opinions

RMCF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a Bose acoustimass system would fit into the layout of my house without being too obtrusive, I would be interested to hear opinions on them. All that I have read seem poor.

A good option in this case would be the Def Tech Pro Cinema 80 system, around £995 for full system with an active sub, unlike the Bose.

Otherwise you may wish to try something from Boston Acoustics.

I heard the Bose accoustimass system at the recent live show at the NEC, and it sounded really good, they had covered the front speaker with dummy floorstander casings, and said they were a new range, then when everyone had listened to them for a couple of minutes, they took the covers off to reveal the small cubes. Yes, they did sound quite good, and if you need small speakers they could be worth considering, but in my opinion the sound seemed to be lacking somewhat in the dynamics, and was no match for other set ups i have heard.

It's really a case of personal preference though, have a listen and see what you think, but they definately weren't for me.

I have since bought a B&W 600 S3 set up, less than half the price of the Bose, and a hell of a lot better in my opinion.

Ian
[email protected]

I agree with reTRO. My mix 'n match system uses the Def Tech Pro Cinema front three speakers with the original REL Q-Bass sub woofer and I am pleased with it.

I had to change to the Def Tech as my small son was in danger of knocking over my floor standers.

Ian

I have seen the same Bose demo, and subsequently briefly had a Bose setup. It was a mistake, and went back for a refund after seven days (gladly given).

You WILL get much better results from a system from Definitive, or Energy or various others. Satellites probably won't be quite as small, but not far off.

Get a decent retailer to demo you several systems (try Sevenoaks Sound and Vision if you can). Most respectable firms will offer an exchange if, after you get home, you find the system doesn't agree with your room's acoustics (or your ears!).

I have the BOSE AM15 speaker package and it is a great speaker system

It produces an open sound that other small speaker packages cannot produce. You can point the speakers in 2 different directions filling the room with more sound

You don't have to worry about placing the speakers too near the walls and you don't have to worry about having large speakers hanging off the walls

I have listened to the def tech pro and that does sound like a small speaker system

Bose have done something different to other speaker manufacturers in trying to produce and open and life like sound and this they have achieved very well

I went to the Live 2001 exhibition and for me the BOSE speakers was the best demonstration. People say they sound good when demonstrated and that is because they are open sounding speakers

After reading some bad reviews I spent a whole day listening to large speakers like the KEF looking for that all important mega sound difference from the BOSE AM15 and at the end of the day both my brother and myself agreed that there was no difference and the BOSE AM15 sounded just as good for DVD movies and DVD music

If you read bad reviews such as audioreview.com you will notice that a small handful of people using different names have trashed the site with mindless comments. In fact they pick all the BOSE product lines and mindlessly trash them. I am glad these people have not discovered this site as mindless rubbish would start to come out here also

To conclude I like the BOSE AM15 package very much. If you are looking for small speakers these are the ones to buy.

I guess some folk have to like them, otherwise they'd be out of business.

Just make sure you buy whatever you buy from a retailer with a sensible "exchange if you don't like it" policy.

Originally posted by Timothy:
<STRONG>I am glad these people have not discovered this site as mindless rubbish would start to come out here also.</STRONG>

No it wouldn't :D

is the m&k thx select package not got pretty tiny speakers and a fairly good sub?

cant remember model no. though

No, the rather fantastic M&K 750 THX Select speakers aren't that small (40x17x22cm HxWxD - the rear speakers are a bit shorter).

They do smaller ones - the LCR45 (20x12x15cm) which could be used all round or the new K series which are pretty small too. They ain't cheap but I'd pick any of them over Bose.

As someone else suggested, I'd also check out the KEF egg-shaped satellites and sub.

Matt.

I have the M&K 750 THX system, and they are not what you'd call 'small', at least not when compared to the Bose speakers.

As the post above mentioned, M&K do now have a smaller 'K' range, and they have also been getting very good reviews. If they sound anywhere near my 750 system then they will be fantastic.

They aren't cheap, that's for sure, but I own them, and they are a 5 set speakers of two speakers in each that can be swivelled and the bass module. I have to admit, it's nothing short of amazing.
I don't know what the rest are talking about. really. What I do think, is that they are reffering to Bose's new set of REALLY small speakers, that they call jewel speakers. I personally think, though I haven't heard them, that speakers THAT small can't give a decent performance no matter how they make it. However, the cube speakers which are a little bigger in my set, as I said, are fantastic. I heard different large speakers, and it's doubtlessly in the same performance league.
I don't know if it has any connection, but my bose speakers are part of a Bose lifestyle 12II home theater system, and what I know, is that the speakers\reciever has passed the Syncom II test, which are very profound tests of record-to-sound reproduction, and when I listen to music such as symphonic orchestra or other big sound sources, it's unbelievable.
That's my opinion.
Since I don't own a DVD yet, I can only hope to get as much satisfaction from it as I did already.

There are plenty of 'lifestyle' sub/sat packages around these days that sound good and are small enough to be unobtrusive. Audition a few and see how you think they compare with the Bose systems.

Everyone has their favourites - especially when it comes to speakers, as they can have a bigger effect on sound quality than any other component in a HC setup. I would never buy a Bose system because I don't like the sound they make, but if you do then buy them - it's your money afterall!

First off I would say to anyone looking for a compact speaker system to have a listen to M&K's most underated underadvertised and almost unknown speaker the S85.
These speakers are smaller than the 750 select system and believe it or not actually sound better (no disrespect to 750 owners which by the way also sound great its just that the S85 sounds a little smoother and less bright) .

Dont believe me-get someone to give you a side to side demo.

The S85's were never sent off for any form of THX certification (hence their low price, around 450.00 per pair).
This is M&K's cheapest speaker that use's the same drivers of the famed M&K 5000 and 150 range (which do indeed have a THX rating).

As for Bose, again, no desrespect to Bose owners, nothing personal but having heard a few variations I think they are trully awfull.
This is not just my opinion. In a recent readers letter to 'The Perfect Vision' mag over in the USA a reader asked why no Bose speakers or B&O gear were ever reviewed by this most highly regarded mag and its reviewers.

This is what the editor Robert Harley wrote as his reply,
"Certain audio companies, in our view, are marketing-driven rather than performance driven.
That is, they spend their money on advertising rather than putting it into the product.
We've heard these products (Bose and Bang and Olufsen) and decided against reviewing them, largely because we would rather spend our time telling you about the trully good products out there.
And yes Bose do advertise in TPV.

Eric

Gte the MK K-series speakers. They are hardly a lot bigger then the Bose cubes, and actually have a mid-range that yoiu can hear properly.

The MK S85's are £450 each if 'm not mistaken, nbut i'd have to check. I only say this because the front 3 speakers in 85 form cost around £1,200.

Note edited S85 price, £50 would be simply dreaming...

Quote from Richard,
"The M&K S85's are 50 pounds each"

You better fill up a lorry and bring them right over Richard.
Either that or you are typing to fast:rolleyes:

Eric

I think as regards how much money BOSE put into their products

The small cube speakers were really the FIRST of its type to re-direct bass to a bass unit - must have been alot of money spent there

Look at all the other companies jumping on the band wagon to produce small speakers now - KEF, SONY and now M&K. The Sony small speakers always get criticised also - still waiting for Sony to make a good small speaker that is like the Bose cube

The range of 201 and 301 produce high quality sound for music reproduction - designed not just in a standard way but to provide a LIFE LIKE sound - this they do very well. Again must have been alot of money spent there - it sounds like the instrument is actually in the speaker

I agree now perhaps the BOSE AM15 has a real competitor from M&K with the K series but I have not heard the K series yet so cannot make a comparison - this is something I will like to do in the future - its nice for a bit of competition like other speakers have

I know what I like about the BOSE AM15 - for music DVDs and concerts watching on a 6 foot projected screen is just like being at the concert - both myself and guests have commented on this without any prompting - so they do produce life like sound or I wouldn't feel this

Just so you know the Bose standard cube speakers cost $3 per cube, the jewel ones a little more

They are small paper cones with plastic casing.

I'm not downing them, just mentioning how much they cost, and yes, i have heard them, and I was originally going to get some AM10's, untill I heard the kef eggs, then heard full range speakers and decided full range it was... never looked back..

I've also read somewhere that 80% of bose's annual budget goes on advertising.

And another thing I belive the jewel/standard speakers are exactly the same no matter which model you get, ie an AM6 will have the same cubes as the AM15, just the AM15's will have more of them, and the same goes to the other range, the jewel setup's

Pegface - looks a good setup you have there

Have you just upgraded to the KEF eggs from the Mission

Hi

No, I've got the speakers you see in the picture, abiet its no longer in that horridly decorated room :) but back in my own room..

anyhow, i'd only ever go to those smaller lifestyle speakers if space were a premium, otherwise, full range it is!

Going to lose the M71's on the rears and get some floorstanders or some diapoles/biapoles, not sure yet

Why not try the MIRAGE AVS-500 MICRO SYSTEM. Already a winner of an Award in HCC, 5 Star Best Buy HCC and What Video & TV.

Or to be even more up Market what about the PIEGA S3 SAT /SUB COMBO - stunning!!!

Lynda

Just to add to Uncle Erics view on the S85 system, they are very good speakers. I had the chance to listen to them again yesterdya and they are much better then the K-series, kinda forgot about the 85's when the K's arrived. We have an ex-demo system 85's and 55 tripoles available and a new one also spare.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom