Bose Lifestyle 50 connect to Digital TV

RobHag

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi

I currently have my Samsung TV connected to the AUX input on my Bose lifestyle 50 via the headphone output on the TV. I think this gives me stereo sound only. There are no audio out RCA jacks on the TV.

If connect a Digital optical audio lead from my TV to the 'Digital Audio source connector' (shown in link below) on the 'audio input cable' of the Bose System will this allow me to listen in surround sound? Thats the first question!

Next question is the Optical audio adapters that i can find have optical audio in and 2 RCAs out. the Audio Source Connector is a single female jack so how do i resolve this issue of have two outputs from the adaptor but only one input to the Bose system?

Finally, Id be hugely grateful if someone could advise on precisely the cables that id need to carry out this (probably very simple ) job!

Heres a link to the manual which may or may not help.

Thanks in advance.

Rob

Digital optical is capable of Dolby Digital 5.1 as a maximum and if the Bose has an optical connection and is itself capable of decoding Dolby Digital then you should get 5.1 from those programmes that support it.

To have a digital optical input and analogue out you would need an external DAC. The Bose has optical in and no digital output. You only need the optical connection direct from the TV to the Bose to get audio and I can't quite figure out why you would need an optical to analogue converter.

Hi
Thank you for your reply.
Even though the Bose manual says that there is a connection for a Digital input it is via a female RCA. So effectively what I have is an output from the TV via the digital optical and this has then to connect to an RCA female.

This is the page from the manual and I’ve also added the link to the complete manual if a little bit more information might be helpful.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 48BC1C2D-9C4B-4D21-BE96-E1CE51587B40.jpeg
    48BC1C2D-9C4B-4D21-BE96-E1CE51587B40.jpeg
    296.8 KB · Views: 345
I’ve just realised that the screenshot of the page from the Bose manual that I sent in my last reply is different to the one that I’ve been looking at for the last two days and that there is an additional instruction about needing an adapter from optical digital to RCA.

I’m not sure if such a cable exists in isolation or do I need some form of adapter? If I need an adapter I am still faced with the same problem as I envisaged before which is that the adapter has invariably got two outputs for both the red and white RCA leads but the female plug on the Bose system is just a single input.

i’m sure there is a simple solution to this but I have been staring at this for far too long and suspect can’t see the wood for the trees !

Hope to hear back from someone soon .

If it's a digital coax connection then it's really easy to convert to optical, both connectors are part of the SP/DIF protocol so can be easily converted to the other.

For example something like this can convert in either direction
Amazon product ASIN B07ZNR4N9F

If it's a digital coax connection then it's really easy to convert to optical, both connectors are part of the SP/DIF protocol so can be easily converted to the other.

Hi

It is a digital optical output from the TV and a single RCA into the Bose system . As you probably gathered by some of my previous posts I am a bit of a numpty when it comes to stuff like this and as I mentioned in my previous post I’m not sure how when an adapter has two RCA outputs I reconcile that with only having one RCA input into the Bose system

The adapter I posted converts between optical and a single RCA digital coax connector. It has 2 RCA because it has both an RCA input and output (and 2 opticals for the reason)

It's not an absolute standard but in my experience it's quite common for digital coax connectors to be orange coloured (the same connector can be used for composite video or analogue audio which are most often yellow for composite video and red and white for stereo analogue audio)

Hello again,

Even more of a numpty than I thought! The link you sent me has a single output for a coax cable so thankfully that will solve my problem... I think 😀

Thanks for your help .

I have a Lifestyle 50 and use the converter Jamie has linked, it'll work just fine :)

Sorry just to be clear, you should be connecting from your TV's optical output to the converter box Jamie posted then a single coax output from that to the Bose digital input connection i've highlighted below which connects straight to the sub

Select AUX on the Bose handset for that input, if you don't initially get sound don't worry it'll likely be a setting within the TV settings for the format it outputs
Also on the Bose handset push menu until it selects Speakers then make sure 5 is selected

1599012456416.png

Sorry just to be clear, you should be connecting from your TV's optical output to the converter box Jamie posted then a single coax output from that to the Bose digital input connection i've highlighted below which connects straight to the sub

Select AUX on the Bose handset for that input, if you don't initially get sound don't worry it'll likely be a setting within the TV settings for the format it outputs
Also on the Bose handset push menu until it selects Speakers then make sure 5 is selected

View attachment 1359079
Thank you. That’s all very helpful. The adaptor is winging its way from Jeff Bezos as we speak by ultra fast Prime...arriving Friday!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom