Bose Lifestyle 35

KenjohnB

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks!

Might be a bit late to ask this question as I've already bought it (however, it does have a 14 day money back offer).

Just bought a Bose Lifestyle 35 (the Lifestyle 48 without the hard drive to store music) - only available form Bose Outlet Stores - and I can't make my mind up about it. Not sure if its brilliant or a load of ****!

Previously had a Sony STR-DG700.

Anyone care to offer their thoughts/experiences? I'd really appreciate it.

Many thanks.

Ken

so, did you keep it?

Did you home demo another £600-£1500 sat/sub system?

Did you home demo another £600-£1500 sat/sub system?

No. Previously had a Sony Home Cinema and a Bose Lifestyle Audio. My wife liked the Bose 35, so who was I to argue. Got to admit it looks nice (aesthetically) and sounds great, although I'm not sure the Video Enhancer upscales DVD's that well - its OK, but not brilliant in that respect. I think our existing Panasonic DVD recorder does a better job, but its a lot of messing to use that as the DVD player, not to mention relegating the Bose to a very expensive amplifier/Cd player.

I'm sure for what we paid, we could have got a lot better, but we both like Bose and I can't be bothered trawling all over the place trying different things.

Ken

Ken, the DVD player dosen't upscale. How have you got it connected to your display? You really should be using the component adaptor for pin sharp viewing.

Ken, the DVD player dosen't upscale. How have you got it connected to your display? You really should be using the component adaptor for pin sharp viewing.

Hi Mark.

I bought an additional piece of equipment with it - A VS-2 Video Enhancer. You connect your Bose console to your TV (by HDMI cable) via this and get upscaled DVD. It does work, as I've tried DVDs with and without. I just don't think it upscales quite as good as my Panasonic. I'm sure its very marginal and a man on a flying horse probably wouldn't notice any difference. I'm probably going through a "picky" phase at the moment.

Many thanks.

Ken

Hi Ken, couldn't comment on that device as I've never used it. Did it cost much? I'm using component on mine and am pleased with the results.

Well, that makes 2 happy Bose owners!

Well, that makes 2 happy Bose owners!

Hi Mark.

Funnily enough, I was going to post to ask you if you were happy with yours. Guess you've already answered.

Tell you what, though, had two DVDs "freeze" in the last couple of days - one rented with a mark on it, but the other brand new. Cleaned the marks off the rented one but had to restart and search to the next chapter on the new one. Maybe the Bose is a bit sensitive.

Best wishes.

Ken

Hi Mark.

Have you ever had a problem with your Bose when watching a DVD, where the whole system just freezes and the only way to get it back is to unplug at the wall and reset?

I've had this on approx 60-70% of the DVD's I've watched so far, some admittedly rental, but others brand spanking new.

Phoned the Bose shop, they directed me to Head Office. They hadn't heard of the problem but suggested I reinstall the update software (that came with the Video Enhancer). They also said that if that didn't work, to go back to the shop, not to them, as it was the shop's responsibility!

Not had any further recurrences on the four DVD's I've watched since, but they were all new.

Just wondered if you'd experienced this.

Many thanks,

Ken

Hi Ken,

No never had this problem or indeed any problems with the unit.
Hopefully its just the rental discs. Did the discs stop in exactly the same place?
If so, I recon its the discs.
Bose always give the same advice about the software, make sure its the latest version, they will send it free of charge if you haven't got it.
Do you know the history of your unit? maybe it was faulty at sale?
Sorry couldn't be of much help, let me know how you get on.

Also you get a 2 year warranty

Hi Ken,

No never had this problem or indeed any problems with the unit.
Hopefully its just the rental discs. Did the discs stop in exactly the same place?
If so, I recon its the discs.
Bose always give the same advice about the software, make sure its the latest version, they will send it free of charge if you haven't got it.
Do you know the history of your unit? maybe it was faulty at sale?
Sorry couldn't be of much help, let me know how you get on.

Thanks, Mark.

Its actually random where they stop. I take them out, give them a clean and put them back in. By then, all my settings have gone (due to resetting) and I have to skip back to where we were. Plays OK then ,but a few have done it again later on. I'm thinking of getting a disc cleaner to clean all discs before I put them in and, if it still happens, I'm back to the Bose store.

I think you may be right, I may have a faulty unit, so I'll wait and see.

Thanks once again, Mark, for your helpful advice. If it wasn't for you, I think I may have taken it back for a refund. I'm glad I didn't because, apart from this little glitch, I think its superb, especially the sound. Pricey, but very good.

Take care.

Ken

Ken, keep me posted. One thing about Bose, they do have great customer service, if you are not happy get in touch with head office and make it known what you want. I had a problem with my remote, after a few phone calls, they sent me a new one free of charge (it costs £80) after 3 years of ownership. Head office should also know the history of the unit. Give them a ring and quote the number at the base of the head unit. Best regards, Mark

Mark the reason for sending you a "free" remote is the cost of the product in the first place. They're making so much profit they can afford to send you parts without eating up the margin.

Yes bob, i'm not stupid, their mark up must be huge so a remote that retails at £80 and infact costs £10 isn't going to harm them in the pocket. My point was that my dealings with Bose have all been positive and helpful.... I know, they are just keeping me sweet, but I know that.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom