1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bose Lifestyle 30 or Sony Home Cinema 301

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by titanax, Jan 19, 2002.

1. titanax

titanax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am in a fix about what system to get. I live in a small apartment, which means that I cannot turn my living room into a cinema room I also cannot afford to have large speakers all around. Has anyone reviewed the Bose 30 or the Sony 301? I understand that Bose does not support DTS and they claim that since I am do not have a Cinema Environment I will not able to experience DTS anyway….for that matter even THX. Is that true?

How good is the Sony 301? I hear their DAV-S500’s got 5 stars from What HI-FI? I’d even appreciate a suggestion for a system I could get. I do not mind getting a separate amp & DVD player, it’s the size of the speakers that bug me!! Can anyone give any feedback on the Bose jewel cube speakers? Apparently the people at Bose also commented that for other systems you’d have to be at the “sweet spot” to enjoy the best experience, but for their own the “sweet spot” doesn’t apply.

Please advice.

2. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,737
    You need to demo the equipment yourself.

Personally I would go for a seperate amp & dvd player and a speaker package such as the Kef eggs, they sound great for movies and arent too bad for music, they´ll certainly sound better than the Bose and Sony systems.

What you´ve been told about DTS is crap, you can use this in a small room just as you can use Dolby Digital. THX is a post processing system used to replicate the sound of a cinema in the home and can be used in smaller rooms as well. Mostly the higher end amps/receivers have THX Post Processing on them, Denon A1SE etc

All systems will have a sweet spot, normally where you sit you can angle speakers in to achieve this without too many problems.

Bose are very good at marketing their product but for the money there are far better systems out there.

Have a few demos and see what you think.

cheers

3. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Those naughty Bose people... pain in the rump.

In my opinion, you should firstly forget about the Sony DAVS500. 'All-in-Ones' are bad.

You should also forget about Bose... the most ineefective HC systems I have ever heard. It's all about fooling consumers with style over substance.

There are better machines out there than Sony's. You need to do some research, some looking around and a lot of listening. Where have you found the 301 anyway? I was under the impression it wasn't all that available over here.

Speakers don't have to be huge. There are many AV speaker packages out there that are designed to fit into small spaces, such as the Kef eggs.

4. dbloor

dbloor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will second, or third, buying seperates.

There are plenty of decent satellite speaker systems that will NOT take over your living room, I am happy with my KEF Eggs.

Check out the 2005 system, only problem is you will have to pay nearly full price as KEF have allegedly hit out at dealers offering discounts which would actually make me consider buoycotting them!

D