1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bose, Is It really that good?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by blue73, Jun 15, 2003.

1. blue73

blue73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just whatchin QVC,
    Is BOSE really as good as there spokespeople say or is it just another gimmick? Personally I dont think its up to much but then I believe loudspeakers should be seen AND heard. Bearing in mind that a lot of you have spent anything from £100 to £30.000 on some serious audio furniture It should be seen. Not only seen but it should be mind blowin. HIFI should not be discreet.. It should stop your heart, it should be able to stop you in your tracks and make you think, I should make you cry, laugh, dance....And obviously match your wallpaper:rolleyes: .............. See Wife:zonked:

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Do a search ... especially on the Speakers Forum ... everyone's views will suddenly become clear.

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Nathan,

I'm not saying Bose speakers are good because they're not, but that article is total crap, the guy doesn't have a clue what he is talking about.

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What's wrong with his review then?

Seems pretty thorough.

6. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Where to start? ;)

Another one of the Acoustimass' major flaws is the fact that they rely on one small driver to reproduce midrange and high frequencies together. I'm referring to the satellite cubes, which are forced to reproduce signal from 200 Hz to 20 KHz. You may argue that there are two speakers in each satellite, but there is also no active crossover separating the signal, so both are driving the same frequency bands. No other consumer market speaker company even considers building these dual-driver "crossover-less" satellites because the resulting performance is evident in the sound produced, or rather, not produced. However, this isn't some major oversight in Bose's R&D team... This system was designed to be small and aesthetically appealing (WAF), and this concoction was the only way to make it so. If high and midrange frequencies each had their own discrete drivers with high quality crossovers, Bose would have the same satellite speaker as every other competitor on the market---except without remotely similar performance, and thus nothing to market.

Gallo anyone? A crossover-less satelite speaker design is a good thing, not a major flaw.

To reiterate the above, the Acoustimass's bass module responds to 46 Hz to 202 Hz at ±2.3 dB, while the satellites respond to 280 Hz to 13.3 KHz at ±10.5 dB. This is, by the way, the only speaker that I have ever seen tested with a ±10.5 db allowance. Still, this leaves a frequency gap between the satellites and bass module of about 80 Hz! That is 80 hertz of sound that is completely erased within the system's internal crossovers!

What total balls. :suicide: Look at the supplied chart and tell me where the "80 hertz of sound that is completely erased within the system's internal crossovers!" is?

7. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok he's worded it incorrectly. Still any speaker with +/- spec at 10.5dB is pretty bad.

As for crossover-less sats, unless you can set the LF frequency exactly to the Bose (240hz) on the AV amp then you need a crossover- unless you connect them upto the bass module.

8. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Bose sats are always connected directly to the bass module.

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Not many would be brave enough to admit that ;)

Bear in mind that the aim of QVC is the same as all retail outlets and that is to shift stock so you don't often get salesmen saying "I sell these and they are rubbish"

10. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Funnily enough, I went to a demo of Kef eggs and Gallo balls with a friend, and that's almost exactly what the salesman said. Which made me wonder why they stocked them... :rolleyes:

Cheers,
    Liam

11. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's why I think they're pish. If the "midrange" module blows you've got 5 useless sats, and you can't use them until the module is repaired/reaplced. At least with Kef Eggs or speakers with 80hz handling/crossover you connect them up to the AV amp.

12. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I think integrated bass management is a good idea, it gets around bass management issues with DVD-A and SACD.

13. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jUST LIKE PUTTING TOYO racing tyres on a pedal go kart:laugh:

14. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Integrated bass management, crossover-less speaker design are all good ideas, it's Boses implementation of those ideas that isn't up to scratch. Dynaudio Acoustics and Genelec do some very good sub/sat's with integrated bass management.

15. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    I think the MAJOR problem with Bose ... is that they're just not unique any more. In the late 80's (think thats right) no body else made a sub sat system that sounded as good as Bose, so they had a product to market which people wanted that they couldn't get else where.

But now there is such a range of alternative solutions, Eggs, Balls, etc ... they just arn't competitive in either sound quality or price.

Vikki

16. blue73

blue73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    EErrrr.......
    When I said I was "whatchin QVC" what I meant was I dropped my remote and it landed upside down and EErrrrrmm....:rolleyes: