Question Bose free space amplifier

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by DUVET, Apr 15, 2016.

1. DUVET

DUVET
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Help needed.

I have removed the following (see below) from a shop and was hoping to use them in my house until I found out today that these speakers require a 100v 800watt amp. (Rightly or wrongly, just looking to have some background music )

I have the following...

Bose - free space 3- series II Acoustic module 1no
    Bose - free space 3 - satellite 4no.

Was hoping to re-use these speakers in one room of my house until I found out a price of an amplifier to run these.

Are there any cheap alternatives ?

All help greatly appreciate .

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. DUVET

DUVET
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone point me in the right direction ?

3. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,503
    100v speakers are used in PA (Public Announcement) systems, so you need to go into a professional AV shop, not a hi fi dealer.

Your Bose consists of a "module" (a subwoofer) and four satellites and is specified for 100W (800W peak). (Yes, I've seen your photos, but I've also read the manual - http://pro.bose.com/pdf/pro/manuals/fs_3/ig_fs3_surface_eng.pdf).

800W is a lot, meaning high price amplification. 800W is enough to run a system consisting of a large number of speakers in a large venue, not background music in a home. I expect that a 100W amplifier will be more than sufficient for your system and new application.

You should be able to source a 100V amplifier with ca. 100W for around £200 at you local professional AV shop (or an online source). Of course if you really do need to run a home disco, you will need to fork out for that 800W CLV amplification.