Bose Centre? Or what?

misterS3

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
As my front two speakers i have recently replaced Tannoy M3's with 2 bose acoustimass 6 speakers.

The Ms812c also has to go due to size.

So i was looking at replacing the centre speaker with something that will sit on the base of my Toshiba 42" TV.

However i then read contradicting advise that the centre speaker should match the front speakers and that the centre speaker should be better than the side speakers in a cinema set up. :confused:

So question is which do i get?

a) a bose centre speaker
b) a bose acoustimass speaker
c) something else?

Please note it's not high end and i only have an old Sony STR 930. But i do want a really good centre speaker that will fit with my system.

As rears i have a MS Bi-polar speaker...i forget the model. But as good as the 812C in its day :)

Ta in advance for any help

I would stay away from the Bose speakers unless you intent to use all Bose. What you've read about all seakers being the same, or at least have the same tweeter/mid is true. Otherwise sounds panning across the screen will sound different when going from one speaker to the next. The center doesn't need to be better, but should be at least as good. Since the center usually always has two mid/woofers, they cost more. Some relate more expensive to being better. It is important to get a goods center since it's argued it handles as much as 70% of everything in front.

You're going to hear a lot of bad comments about Bose. Bose haters are alive and living all over the world. I won't get into why Bose speakers are bad, I'll let someone else. However, in your situation another reason to not go Bose is many of their satellites are proprietary to their amplification modules. Some have lower impedances than standard receivers and amps can handle. I've seen some Bose speakers which are 0.5 ohms, which is a terrible load for an amplifier to handle. Since Bose rarely publishes their specs, it's hard to say what you're connecting to you system. Look around some more. You can do much better.

I would stay away from the Bose speakers unless you intent to use all Bose. What you've read about all seakers being the same, or at least have the same tweeter/mid is true. Otherwise sounds panning across the screen will sound different when going from one speaker to the next. The center doesn't need to be better, but should be at least as good. Since the center usually always has two mid/woofers, they cost more. Some relate more expensive to being better. It is important to get a goods center since it's argued it handles as much as 70% of everything in front.

You're going to hear a lot of bad comments about Bose. Bose haters are alive and living all over the world. I won't get into why Bose speakers are bad, I'll let someone else. However, in your situation another reason to not go Bose is many of their satellites are proprietary to their amplification modules. Some have lower impedances than standard receivers and amps can handle. I've seen some Bose speakers which are 0.5 ohms, which is a terrible load for an amplifier to handle. Since Bose rarely publishes their specs, it's hard to say what you're connecting to you system. Look around some more. You can do much better.

Thank you for taking the time to reply, i hear what you are saying.

Okay if i was to buy 3 speakers to plug into my sony 930 for home cinema which can are very tall/thin/small for the sides and not too tall to sit on the front of my tosh 42inch what would you buy...

I'm thinking i should post a pic to show you.....i will tommorow.

My living room is 15'x14' so not big.

I'll use the bose to plus into my sonos system.

Thanks again

The most important factor is getting identical tweeters. You can most often choose speakers fron the same manufacturer, but not necessarily the same line as long as they share the same tweeter. Changing between 4", 5", or 6" woofers provide more extended low freqs, but not as critical as the highs.

Hi
Until recently I had a 5.1setup with Bose to the stereo fronts too. I tried a few centres, cheap ones, which failed miserably. The problem was setting the centre loud enough as my amp needed something that was east to drive to get the correct balance of volume with the fronts. I ended up with a standard looking B&W front upon the advice from my local hifi store and it was excellent. In my opinion a good centre makes a ton of difference in an average cinema set up so I,d go for something decent by a reputable make and that is also easy to drive / sensitive, so your amp can handle it easily.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom