1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bose and Philips RF/IR remote

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by MAW, Feb 2, 2003.

1. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Searching this forum for help with a universal remote for IR and RF yielded a link to this remote. It seems so cheap I can hardly believe it will work! Anyone got expeience of it? It makes no mention of bose, though that was the keyword of my search. It must also control a Sony DVD player, a cranky old VHS (not so important, can persuade chap in question to buy a new one!) a Pioneer HDE50 plasma and sky+. Money is in fact little object, it's small beer in relation to the rest of the kit.

2. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have one of these and can tell you that they're pretty handy things. Mine has proved very useful, especially with the timed macros.

Anyway to business:

Sky+ - Probably have to learn the codes. It has the codes for regular Sky onboard (philips make the original Sky remote) but this remote predates Sky+ and I think I'm right in saying that the codes for the Sky+ remote are deliberately different.

Sony DVD Player - Shouldn't be a problem. Codes probably onboard or you could learn them :(

Pioneer Plasma - Probably have to learn the commands unless the Pio uses a command set from a TV or something similar.

Cranky old VHS - Should be okay. Note mine was *really* fussy about learning from a Panasonic VCR remote. I replaced my VCR with a Toshiba (after the Panny went splat) and it was fine learning the remote for that. Go figure...

Bose - Umm, unless Bose use infra-red (and I think this is why you wanted RF), no. This unit won't have a clue about Bose RF frequencies etc. Check with the nice people at Letsautomate.com and I'm sure they can advise you further on this. I've found them very helpful in the past when dealing with them.

The RF capabilities of this unit are twofold:

1. Control Philips Power Control system switches. Turn lamps on an off etc.
    2. Transmit remote control commands via RF to an infra-red emitter in front of your equipment. EG control a Sky box from your bedroom or any other piece of IR capable kit without a separate IR distribution system. Nice idea.

Unfortunately I don't think the RF receiver/IR emitter is sold in this country, I've heard mention that it's sold only in mainland Europe (no idea why that should be the case).

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Thanks very much for that, that seems to coincide with my other researches. Serves him right for buying bose!

Martin

4. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Indeed, definitely self-inflicted. ;)

The RF is useful if you want to hide kit or do multiroom, but I just didn't like the sound from their "cube" speakers and as for the drivel that their sales staff trot out when you dare to ask about alternative formats like DTS, or newer technologies like PL II. Well! I just had to count to ten and walked out with my fists itching.

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I can get a compatible emitter elsewhere for the cupboard idea, as to multiroom, apparently it's not powerful enough to go thro' a wall! Happy days...

6. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Which emitter will work with it (could it be one of the Pronto type ones by any chance)?

Any details would be greatly appreciated.