1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bose AM15

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by sunlink, Sep 22, 2003.

1. sunlink

sunlink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking to purchase a set of AM15's with upgrade and wanted to get some feedback on performance, especially playback of music.

Cheers

Steve:)

2. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    YOu picked teh wrong place to get feedback, (almost) everyone on here hates BOSE, personally I like them, they are small and do the job well.

IMHO They are more suited to Movies than music.

3. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Er Steve, I think you'll find this is NOT the place to come looking for positive reviews of Bose kit. :nono: Nothing (rightly) gets a bigger slating round here than Bose; it's overpriced, poor quality and sells through marketing power instead of genuine sound appeal. You can do SOOOO much better for the money. :)

4. sunlink

sunlink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nobber/Scarty,

Thanks for the feedback. Any ideas on a better sounding but similar setup.
    I currently have a set of Tannoy Precision speakers which I find excellent. My missus is badgering me to go smaller. I am very reluctant. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve:)

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cue my penis reduction joke!:rotfl:

I don't have any experience with them Tannoys, but any decent sub/system will outperform Bose tat in every regard. Kef Eggs at £600 for a stater- proper two way drivers, excellent build, and sound very good for the money (although don't match bookshelf speakers, which is to be expected)

6. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Or have a look at Anthony Gallo.. small but sound great :)

www.anthonygallo.co.uk

I am just saving to buy the centre speaker before I will have finished my speaker revamp !

Matt

7. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    You've definitely picked the wrong group to get some Bose luvin'! But then again, you've picked the right group to get the right speakers (and that daft Bose nonsense out of your head for good!) for your system.

Personally, the only small speakers I would consider are Anthony Gallo, I would even consider the AG's if I wasn't after small speakers too! But I am a reseller and likely to be biased!!!

If the other half wants smaller, but not smallest, maybe just to wall mounting size I would consider the latest kef eggs (not so hot for music IMO), the B+W VM1's (look and sound brilliant) or persuade the missus that see-through glass speakers are as good as going smaller as you don't notice them that much and what you do see is very good looking...... then go out and get a complete set of Waterfalls!

8. sunlink

sunlink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everybody for the helpful feedback. Bose are deffinitely not a goer now.
    What is the most suitable Anthony Gallo system for both Music and Home Cinema?

Steve:confused:

9. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would keep what you've already got. Don't replace them with Bose or Gallos.

10. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,331
    Are you single Nathan? what a women has decided decor wise is- almost- set in stone. Sunlink may be able to retain the larger speakers but only at the expense of his house.

11. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you pay for the mortage, I think you've got every right to enjoy your hobby.

It's strange that she'll probably blow hundreds of pounds of YOUR money on shoes/handbags- yet when you buy a subwoofer or something for yourself all hell breaks loose.

Be a man.

12. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    On the Gallo front.. what is quite popular is 3 Divas across the front with micros 2/4 for surrounds. (Or some have used 2 Divas and a Due or if you are really rich 3 Dues :) )

You can pretty much mix and match as your budget dictates..now I also use the Gallo mps-150 sub.. but others have gone for Velodyne SPL etc etc.. again the sub choice is down to budget and WAF constraints !

HTH

Matt

13. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Both the Micro and A'Diva are fairly popular but need very careful partnering and setting up otherwise they will sound terrible.

If that is the way you wish to go, forum sponsors AV Sales.com are Gallo dealers so send a Private Message to Liam McLaughlin asking for his best price and you may get a pleasant surprise.

If it were me I would look at the JM Labs Sib & Cub setup available from here which is not only a lot cheaper than a Gallo system but probably better as well.

14. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Ian
    I think you were posting the link to hifi bitz who are doing the jm labs sib &cub for 599 quid which is a bargain.(link didnt work)
    Gonzo.

15. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    My wife quite likes the big speakers as they are real wood veneer and look nice - also they sound good!

16. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It does now - thanks

17. Uncle Dicky

Uncle Dicky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you considered upgrading your wife instead of the speakers?

You may be able to find a good quality one that works alongside your larger speakers in harmony!

Seriously though, keep away from the Bose, have a look at Miller & Kreisel instead.

18. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Do those JM Lab speakers look as good in real life as they do in the pictures?

19. sunlink

sunlink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gents,

Thanks for the good advice, however far to expensive to try and upgrade the wife. Therefore, I am going to stick with my Tannoys (they are superb with both music and Home cinema) and spend the money saved on decent bi-wire cables. One of the main drivers towards small speakers, was determined by the fact that I am building a purpose built 8m x 8m extension (home cinema lounge) that incorporates an Ingelnook fireplace. I have 52 inches above the mantle piece to accommodate my screen (48 inches high) leaving 4 inches to try and house my 8 inch high centre speaker.
    I am going to start another thread for ideas on how to house it, currently I am considering housing it in the ceiling at an angle, but would be greatful for any other suggestions.

Steve ;) ;) ;)

20. RastaCat

RastaCat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If this extension you speak of is going to be purpose built, why are you compromising speaker location?

I know if I had the opportunity to build a room from scratch, I certainly wouldn't be compromising on the most important aspects such as speaker positions and equipment housing etc.

Just MHO of course. ;)

RastaCat

21. sunlink

sunlink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rasta,

Apart from being an entertainment room, I still have to accommodate the wife, hence the Inglenook fireplace and the subsequent centre speaker dilemma.

Happy to discuss

Steve:confused:

22. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    My wife's opposition to my AV always came because she think's our lounge should look like a lounge / living room and is not the theatre I try and create in it.
    I seriously believe that if we had the space to build a purpose built cinema room I would be let loose to build it to however I felt appropriate. Think you need to show her who's boss mate!:devil: