1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bose acoustimass6

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by mattwalters, Apr 18, 2003.

1. mattwalters

mattwalters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone know what the acoustimass 6 is really like?????

I am in desperate need of a satellite speaker set up and I have fallen in lurve with this set up! Is it better than the celestion avp100????????????

2. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I've heard a friend's £2000 bose CD/av system, the model of which eascapes me.

The best I could say was that it would be almost ok for 5.1 movies, but quite horrible for music.

regards,
    Rob.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Comments from an AV magazine :-

It is with those tiny satellites that things begin to go adrift, however. There is no real treble to speak of, but the upper midband has a clearly audible resonance, and sounds very fierce and sibilant, which can make voices difficult to distinguish from the sound mix. The midband is better, but lacking in substance, and the system as a whole is coarse, uneven and clearly lacking in sophistication and finesse.

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Crap then.:devil:

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Description of Bose stuff- begins with "P" and ends with "oo" :)

Seriously the Energy Take 5.2, Kef Egg, Ruark Vita or an decent speaker system and a decent AV amp (say £200-£500) will blow the Bose away, sound much better, be more upgradeable, have better build quality & electronics, have better resell value (who wants Bose?)

Bose and some other very small sats that I better not mention have several sound "gaps". Bose sats reach upto 14khz- so you're missing treble that normally is upto 20khz. Then the sat goes down to 240hz. The Woofer starts reaches upto 160hz. So you're missing 80hz.

Bose gear initially sounds good- filling the room. But this is fake- there is no midrange, the woofer sounds awful.

Have I put you off it? :)

6. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a look at the Bose stuff initially, despite having heard the bad reviews.

Lets just say I found the reviews to be accurate. I then listened to the Acoustic Energy Aego p5 system, which is more compact, but blew the Bose system away. I've added a second, small sub, and I'm delighted with it. It's even reasonable with CDs. It's not as good as a straight hi-fi set-up for music, but it's amazing for films (in my view, it's a great compromise).

I'd recommend you have a listen: it's about 600 quid, with 5 surrounds, a subwoofer, and a decoder for dolby digital, DTS and prologic (it's even got a remote control, and comes with all the speaker cables and wall brackets!)

7. mattwalters

mattwalters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmmmmmm !!!!!! I really did like the sound and am always being moaned at about the size of the speakers that i have! and i really would like something compact! Anyone heard the Celestion AVP100? :confused: