1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bose acoustimass

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by mike_cummi, Apr 6, 2004.

1. mike_cummi

mike_cummi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bose acoustimass speakers seem to come in for a bit of a hard time on this site but are they really that bad? My problem is that I want to get some surround backs for a 6.1/7.1 system and I have virtually zero space to put them and so am looking for something very dinky and lightweight which i can fix to a tiny gap between my bay window frame and the ceiling.

Ceiling mounted speakers would be ideal but I simply can't do that and I really want something fixed in place. The sub could fit behind or to the side of my sofa so that's not a prob and on the surface something like the acoustimass 3 would be ideal. Anyone got any horror stories about bose or any alternative suggestions. My main speakers are Mordaunt short 904/903/905. At the mo I'm running them off a crappy 5.1 amp, not sure which receiver to go for but prob pio, denon, marantz yam etc., nothing too esoteric.

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Why do you think you need 6.1/7.1? A decent amp (in your case)will sound just groovy with your MS speakers in "plain-old" 5.1. Get a new amp (7.1 capable if you like) and try it with your current setup first. You may surprise yourself.

If you have such a hassle with extra rear speakers and very little leeway with mounting them, you aren't likely to get the best 7.1 sound anyway.

3. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,837
    Try the "search" button:)

4. mike_cummi

mike_cummi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    watchootalkinaboutwillis?

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Like all things,the best way is to actually listen to them and compare them to other similar products in your price range.

Just my opinion of course,but I honestly feel these things are best left in pubs etc.
    Some of the flat panel speakers from Mission may suit your requirements and may well offer better sound quality.

6. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,837
    LOL:D Not heard that word for a few years!

If you look at the red buttons in the top right hand corner you'll see one which is marked "search" - if you enter the words "Bose acoustimass" in there it will bring up a mine of information...a useful tool to use:)

7. mike_cummi

mike_cummi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I'll do that.