Bose Acoustimass 6

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by gunizzle, Apr 21, 2005.

1. gunizzle

gunizzle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive just bought the BOSE ACOUSTIMASS 6 surround sound system and am pairing it with the DENON AVR2805 amp, does anyone have any thoughts on this system, particularly the speakers?? anyone else have them?????

2. mickbarlow

mickbarlow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    my dad has em in his house connected to a yam 630 amp and they sound the very nice indeed imo. especially compared to my cheap n chearful yamaha nsp100 speakers...

though they are damn expensive considering the competition...

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    there are some much better looking and sounding speakers (ones with a mid range) you could have bought for £5-600 and the AMPs quality is wasted on the AM6

4. mike_cummi

mike_cummi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    why do you care what anyone else thinks? You've bought them and presumably you bought them because you liked them? Enjoy.

You won't find many friends of Bose acoustimass on here, they tend to get absolutely slated so expect most replies to be negative about them.

I think most people dislike the acoustimass for two reasons:-

1). lack of midrange as hornydragon referred to. I'm not sure i agree with this, I've got an old AM3 at the back and when i first got them i compared them to my mains at the time (eltax liberty 5). Whilst the sound was different it was no better or worse IMO (although the AM3 is over twice the price of the liberty 5s), and I certainly didn't notice any obvious lack of midrange. Maybe there's something wrong with my ears but when the liberty 5s came out reviewers singled out their midrange for particular praise, so the midrange on the AM3 can't be that bad. I realise that a new AM3 costs £250 and a £250 conventional speaker probably sounds alot better, but then you will always sacrifice sound quality when going for something that is unobtrusive, this is not a problem unique to bose acoustimass IMO.

2). sub placement more crucial than bose imply. According to bose the "sub" can go anywhere and you won't notice the difference. This is not true, the sub does have to be in the middle, so placement is not as flexible as bose say.

Obviously, the AM3 is only a stereo system, 5.1 acoustimass systems may well perform very differently and maybe those are the ones people dislike the most, never heard one I'm afraid.

You could always look on e-bay for another acoustimass sub and then you could have one for the front three and one for the surround channels, may reduce directionality effects.

5. u32t5645

u32t5645

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I’m afraid I have to agree with HornyDragon. Where I am at, Bose does not have a good reputation. The sound is ‘tinny’, lacking a decent mid. Value (cost for what you get) is low. In a side-by-side comparison almost everything else sounds better. One the other hand, Bose is still being sold so someone is buying them, and liking them.
    :)

I also agree with Mike. It's all about making your ears happy. :smashin:

Fwiw, Bose is top dog for speakers in the marine market. 5-year warranty on a watertight speaker that can be left unprotected in the elements, including salt spray … and it sounds good, for that application.

6. Helicon

Helicon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Yep, Hornydragon's right....they definitely lack midrange. And the sub would have to be placed in the middle because it's trying to reproduce that lower midrange the speakers can't, you know, those frequencies subs aren't supposed to reproduce. Hence the word 'sub'.....

Talking of the sub, is there any other note it can play? They're a lifestyle product, and that's there downfall.

7. gunizzle

gunizzle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    True, well its all going in on thursday so i guess ill know for sure, i demod them in the shop in a room similar sized to mine with the amp and they sounded wicked, but ill wait till their in and working before i truly know!!

decisions decisions!

8. mike_cummi

mike_cummi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    best of luck with it.

By the very nature of this forum you'll find that most people on here are hi-fi "buffs", "anoraks", whatever you want to call them (please don't take any offence anyone). As such they are very knowledgeable and almost inevitably extremely critical, and whilst you will almost always get feedback which is technically accurate, their advice can be a bit wasted on mere mortals such as you and I.

Typically, a senior forumite would rather tear down walls/ build an extension to make more room for conventional speakers than use something like a bose to fit into a small space. Whilst conventional speakers are always going to be better than bose acoustimass pound for pound, if you ain't got the space for conventional speakers, or just don't want obtrusive speakers, then an acoustimass system is IMO a very useful solution and any solution to those problems within the context of your budget, bose or otherwise, will always compromise on sound quality.

As I mention before many forumites will have an extremely critical ear and what may sound awful to them will sound absolutely fine to others - how else do bose keep selling so many acoustimass systems, if they sounded as dreadul as many forumites would have you believe then they wouldn't sell many. I honestly can't notice any lack of midrange with my acoustimass 3 as compared to my eltax liberty 5s. Okay, the liberty 5s are budget speakers, but they are decent budget speakers whose midrange was singled out for particular praise by reviewers. So, I can't really see how their midrange is that bad.

I would say that the only thing you may notice is some distracting directionality effects coming from the sub. As mentioned in my previous thread, this can be overcome by placing the sub in between and level with the front three and getting another sub for the back, even if it's an old tatty one off ebay it'll even out the soundstage.

I am no champion of bose and couldn't care less if no one likes them, i bought mine as i simply had no alternative for my surround channels, If i had more space i would have definitely gone for similarly priced conventional speakers which I know would outperform them, but the fact is I didn't have a choice and I am more than happy with the job they do.

Remeber it's your ears and requirements that count.

9. Helicon

Helicon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Bose will have you believe that their 'reflection' system is the most accurate way of reproducing music. They have clever advertising, in depth technical descriptions, bold claims and rely on the fact people want small speakers. They claim to reproduce the same sound you hear from large speakers, which just isn't possible. You can't create a seamless transition between bass and treble when the sub and satellite don't have a crossover frequency. If i'm wrong, where's the specs? Are there any specs on their website to show the frequency responses? I checked two products(speakers)and nothing.
    They're initally impressive, but sit down with some music you know, and you'll soon hear what i mean. They may be good for the new 'mp3' generation, but if you have any appreciation(not tweaky)of music, you'll hear them for what they are. They're a solution.
    The most important thing is whether you like the sound of them.

10. gunizzle

gunizzle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, have had the system in for a week now, the speakers look great in the small room i have and for the size of the room are unbelievable volume wise!! even at the top end of volume they are crisp as a freshly ironed shirt. I had a knock on the door within an hour of pumping out the tunes my next door neighbour letting me know that his dinner was jumping off his fork!! RESULT!

Very pleased with the system, and would recommend it to anyone looking for a neat and tidy surround system for a small to medium sized room.

ROCK ON.

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    GLad you are pleased with your purchase.

12. mike_cummi

mike_cummi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad you like them.