1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bose Acoustimass 6 system

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by mark.t, Nov 6, 2000.

1. mark.t

mark.t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anybody got one of these systems ?
    I've just picked one up for half-price and will be installing it soon in my front room (16ft x 16ft)
    Any tips ?

2. Mike Dando

Mike Dando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't own the Bose system personally but I have listened to many demo's of their kit, particularly in the states, and i thought they sounded great.

I have seen many people slag them on Internet forums, but I think it's a case of horses for courses.

I think it was the AM15 system I have heard most. The high UK price put me off, but if you got yours half price, well done!

Enjoy.

Mike.

3. simonsez

simonsez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think most of the criticism of Bose is that their products are way overpriced. For significantly less money you can purchase speakers that perform as well, and in many cases much better than the Bose. It is a case of people retaliating against the marketing hype. I personally think Bose are fine speakers...they are a little bright sounding for my tastes, but if you got them for half MSRP count yourself lucky. After all, in the end what sounds good to you is all that matters.
    As for tips.....try and mount them so that the cubes are at about ear height, and keep a fair amount of seperation between the front "mains" With small speakers it will help with imaging and sounstage. Enjoy [​IMG]

4. Big Al

Big Al
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If your amp has bass managment make sure that you say yes to having a subwoofer. Otherwise you may get a weak sound when listening to Pro Logic material

Big Al

------------------
    I kick arse for the lord!

5. Jesus H

Jesus H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    where did you get them half price?
    i could do with some as my room is very small

------------------
    'This one's got a bad mmooooooooooooooooootivaaaaaaator (in a very camp voice)'

6. mark.t

mark.t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Practical HiFI Blackpool-they did have a set at the Preston branch about 3 weeks ago though -for £225.00

7. Jesus H

Jesus H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks mark
    do they have any more though...that is the question

how do yours sound when compared to normal speakers, if you've tried

i saw a shop on holiday with an acoustimass system and it sounded good

also, whats the power handling?

i've got a yamaha dspa2, which delivers circa 100w are they likely to burst into flames should i up the volume too much?

------------------

8. mark.t

mark.t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have not installed the system yet-waiting for upgrade to living room carpet in 2 weeks(I can get the cables under the floorboards and keep her indoors happy with a new carpet at the same time !)

I use a Sony STR DB830 -current system sounds ok- can't wait to get these babies plugged in !

Power handling of Bose is 20-100W.
    The kicked ass in the shop during the demo.

9. Jesus H

Jesus H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i am tempted, i need a new centre speaker (i am using a seventies national panasonic one), new rears, or new fronts, i will probably put my current fronts at the rear (at th rear i have sh*t 1984 phillips ones hat i got from my Grandad), i thought about mission 701s, as i spent £30 on speaker stands earlier in the year but have not got them put up yet. At £2??.00 with a sub, it is very tempting. I have heard the sub is very good.

------------------

member formerly known as hank hill

[This message has been edited by Jesus H (edited 27-11-2000).]

10. HT Dude

HT Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0