BOSE Acoustimass 15 Speakers?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by CobraAV, Sep 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CobraAV

CobraAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm looking to replace my (very) old Hi-Fi and 5.1 Home Cinema System. What I'm looking for a is one set of speakers than can do both my 5.1 home cinema and also double up for music (radio, CD's, TV, MP3's etc). I know this will be a compromise, but I have limited spece for speakers and even bookcase speakers would be a problem with space, so I really need to look at the smaller wall mounted speakers. So far I've listened to the following speakers:

BOSE Acoustimass 15 (sounded good all round sound with Home cinema and CD Music).
    B&W MT10 (lots of power but lacking on the crispness of the BOSE).
    Kef 2005 (Great for Home Cinema, but no good for Hi-Fi music -weak).

I've also ordered Sky HD, but don't have a AV Receiver yet, as I was wanting to sort out the Speakers first. I will also add a separate DVD player and prabably a Playstation3.

Budget for speakers and AV Receiver is about £1,500

I'd like feedback on possible speake options and especially any feedback on the BOSE AM15 speakers and ideas for possible AV Receivers?

2. chamill

chamill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    If you like the bose sytem the best then go for that. Its your ears after all :D.

Be ready to possibly get a bit of bose bashing going on here, just a pre warning.

I would go for the Bose myself. Like you say do a pretty decent job for music and are fantastic for films. You can always get them direct from bose, try them for a month under their satisfaction period and decide for yourself.

3. badbob

badbob
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    That Bose "crispness" is just harsh harsh treble with no midrange, and boomy whoompy bass. Bose are pretty much the worse sounding, over inflated priced pap, made with cheap components and cheap, thin plastic enclosures.

Listen to music in 2 channel stereo, and the Bose produces a bipole like mess of sound across the front soundstage. Front/back panning in multi-channel isn't seamless, it's just one big mess.

Try demoing Monitor Audio Radius 90 with SVS SB12+ subwoofer.

4. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    I'm afraid you will get quite a few negative remarks coming here and it can turn into a heated debate between people who don't like the Bose AM15, for whatever reason, and people that really like it

It is normally Bose owners that like them, but then other people join in saying they had Bose and have upgraded and don't like Bose either

So be prepared

But I like them and own them, and have listened to many speakers, and still for my circumstances the Bose are the best

See badbob is the first and this is typical of the reply you will get...

5. chamill

chamill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    badbob please leave it out. your opinions are very biased as seen many many times when the subject of bose is discussed.

He liked the sound of the bose so give it a rest.

6. badbob

badbob
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    Not my fault you don't have a clue on sound quality. I'm not going to be a "yes man" to people like that. I guess get insulted when people how know about sound quality burst your bubble for paying for overpriced, under performing speakers?

"Many many times"....this is my second Bose post. lol...

And why is that? I've heard Bose systems that are "properly" setup, and they sound horrid. Why is that biased?? In fact you're biased, as you own Bose.

7. chamill

chamill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    So you know how people want things to sound. the arogance of the man.

Just think you could be a little less harsh in your OPINIONS (because thats what they are)

You dont like the sound of bose, i get that. I like the sound of bose products. just accept that some people do. Cable, amps, £1000 speakers are overpriced but you dont hear people moaning about that evryday.

Its the name that does it.

Yes i do, I have been thorough speakers and ended up with Bose. I like the sound seperation they provide. They fill the room which they are designed to do.

He is limited on size. You have to compare like for like (size)

Anyway back on topic

8. badbob

badbob
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    A great reason for choosing something then. The Bose brand is pure marketing spiel. People presume a) because they're expensive and b) because in magazines and tv they must be great. But in reality to a) the components are of such low quality, the cost of the items isn't going into the product itself, but the company overheads and to b) because of the "hype" of Bose it spreads. It's your choice, but people in the know will snigger behind your back for being suckered.

Total up a brand that isn't well known for half the price and it'll sound better, be made with higher quality components and enclosures, will play louder with lower distortion.

You cannot argue that Bose products look and feel cheaply made. Take Bose units apart and look at the low end components.

9. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mod comment - badbob you have been warned before ref to you're posting/trolling when it comes to Bose threads and the replies which i have to say are just plain argumentative...so have no alternative but to award another infraction....please stop.

10. badbob

badbob
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    Opinions is NOT trolling. Neither is facts regarding price/components.
    If this gagging continues I want nothing more to do with this forum.

11. chamill

chamill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Like I would even care what 'audiophiles' like that would say. After all they probably have amps costing £500-1000. No components cost that much.

Cobra sorry for all this nonsense.

Dont let any of it change your opinion. Decide for yourself.

just decide what YOU think sounds best .

12. Member 639844

Member 639844
    Former Advertiser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,182
    I have a Bose lifestyle 25 5.1 surround system (basically an acoustimass 25 system comprising if split cubes and slightly unprated bass unit, its not a true Sub). Its decent enough for films IMO but not great for music. I used to have a Kenwood series 21 (£800)before that quite a few years ago now and the Bose wasnt much better but was over twice the price(£2300).
    I'm now replacing it, so if you want you can buy mine on e-bay.
    In all honesty though, the stuff they demo the Bose system (classical, acoustic stuff) with in the shop is what their good at, but thats all and over time I just got unhappy with it, especially for music and my belief is that youl'd do the same.
    For 1500 I'd get an onkyo receiver and put your own speakers with it, or something along those lines.

Bose thoughts:
    Clear sound and decent surround but no mid range at all. The bass boom is good for films but when it comes to music it sometimes doesnt know what its doing and either over booms or goes all quiet. It goes plenty loud without distorting although the bass weakens off at the higher end. It sounds good at night when its on low and like I say classical and acoustic stuff sounds decent but anything with a beat just seems to make the system lose its focus.
    I would say its a home theater sytem first and a nothing system second, music is quite poor IMO.
    Ive owned it for 2 years and now I want rid, but like I say, if you want one at a bargain price, theres either a bargain in it for your or wallet dammage limitation when you become unhappy with it - if you do.

13. badbob

badbob
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    If possible borrow a couple of systems for a week.

The Bose
    plus a standmount stereo pair
    Then another £1500 5.1 sat system.

After a few days switch over comparing them. The problem with a certain brand is they sound good initially in the demo room, if you're not sure what you're listening for. The bass from the certain brand is very upfront but once you've got accoustemed to it, and other systems you'll recognize it's uncontrolled.

It's like using a £150 PC 5.1 speaker system then going back to your Hi-Fi, then back to the PC system.

You don't need to spend that much. My Rotel stereo integrated amplifier is much higher quality than those of Bose Lifestyle units. Your reply is typical Bose marketing, that to get great sound quality you must spend several thousand pounds. A £200 speaker, £200 amp will sound better than a Bose Lifestyle system which is £4500 in straight stereo.

14. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,304
    Remember, if you like it, it doesn't matter what others think.

But, I'd agree.......you could probably do a lot better for the same cash (or less, even). It's definitely worth investing some time, before you invest money, in auditioning some similarly-priced alternatives at a good audio dealer with demo facilities.

And then, if you remain convinced, having experimented with the type of material you intend to use it for then go for it.

15. chamill

chamill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Well my 201s cost me £50 which i dont see as pricey and my amp also not a lot. so no i didnt spend a lot of money. I had the Mordaunt Short Avant 902is and prefered the bose so got £50 back.

Your missing the point on the Lifestyle series tho, If you want to compare you must do it like for like. Satelites vs Satelites, Standmounts vs Standmounts. Name me a small (same size as the bose) sub sat sytem that will perform aswell as a £400 system (speakers, amp)

16. lazymatt

lazymatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    I'm afraid I'm gonna sit on the fence here a bit....I agree with BadBob to a degree, however, I also know a lot of people who are very happy with their Bose solutions. Remember they do not offer the last word in fidelity (I think we all agree on that), however, they do offer a very good style solution for their size.

The biggest problem I find with them is that they just don't offer a proper stereo solution with music - they don't offer proper stereo imaging.

If I was you, I'd be looking at one of the Onkyo amps (605 - £400 I think) and the AE Aego T's (£550), or the new KEF 3005 SE's (£1,000) are supposed to be very good. Or if you really want good music performance and can put up with their traditional looks, the Quad Lites (about £1,000).

Don't be bullied into not getting the Bose's though. I just suggest the above for you to listen to for comparison.

17. badbob

badbob
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    None, Bose included. You can't get around break the laws of physics.
    However if using high quality components, it is more likely to get better sound production than Bose. ie coaxial 3" driver, instead of the cheap 30p paper driver that are inside Bose sats. Many audio companies are producing 4" cubed speakers, Monitor Audio, Mission, M&K, Anthony Gallo (probably more) etc. Pair that with a true subwoofer, and it'll still end up cheaper. You don't get those brands with plastic thin cabinets, the subwoofer isn't plastic either. There are far more options now, even if sticking to identically sized units.

18. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The below is not an opinion but just plain insulting -

I think you need a break to think over you're style of posting.

19. iainsilvester

iainsilvester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Bob, unusual to get this level of hate in an opinion. Can assume you a) used to work for Bose and got fired or b) genuinely believe you are our saviour from the Bose devil?

What kit do you have? Please tell me you use floorstanders for movies :D:D:D:D

20. badbob

badbob
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    b) Not a retailer, nor used to work for them. I just hate corporations that use the name to sell off cheap gear for over inflated prices, yet claiming marketing speil to rubbish other products, and the people that blindly follow them. I've dealt with people who own Bose, dealing with them is like talking with religious people. You can demo them a nicer looking, cheaper £, quality system and they'll still choose the Bose. One person said the demo system sounded better, but he'll stick to the Bose because of the name, and his friends have Bose.:rolleyes:

Yes I use floorstanders in the HT, set to small 80hz. Kef Reference, Lexicon pre-amp, Audiolab/Tag Mclaren amps, SVS sub.

21. iainsilvester

iainsilvester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Fun aside I think there is a big difference between advising an undecided spender of hard earned cash and rubbishing the choice someone has already made, with their equally hard earned cash.

I get frustrated with the audition with your eyes brigade and this extends to buying large speakers and running them with an 80Hz crossover ;). But if this is what someone really wants to do, or has already done for their own good reasons who am I to comment?

22. badbob

badbob
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    Speakers are incapable of reproducing full-range, in my room small 80hz with subwoofer set to 80hz sounds better, rather than as large with sub LFE only (or small 40hz with sub at 40hz)

As you know crossover isn't a brick wall, so even if I set small 80hz, subwoofer on, but switch it off at the back panel, the L/R do reproduce much lower bass due to room gain. Certainly more bass than M&K sats, which are THX spec with 80hz F3.

At large the bass is a bit ott.

23. bsimmer3000

bsimmer3000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I must admit I was looking at the bose $3500 system. sorry can't remember the model. and was at the point of ordering it as I was also stuck for space. well I'm glad I took the time to check reviews and audition systems as I was also sucked into the bose advertiseing even though I have run kef/arcam equipment in the past. well I checked out a few systems and ended up buying the b&w full xt set with pv1 sub and I'm so glad I didn't make the mistake of buying the bose as nealry every other make of speaker I tried even $30 pioneer small bookshelf speakers sounded better. I got a good deal on the xt's so I'm we'll happy but I can see why people get sucked in as I did.

24. lazymatt

lazymatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Niiiice speakers.:thumbsup:

I'd love to get the XT4's. Paying a bit of a premium for the style, I know, but what style.

25. Member 96948

Member 96948
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    Easy. Canton CD101 available here with discount for an amazing £290.

Sizes with Bose in brackets - 13.5(15.7)x9.0(7.8)x10(10.2) or if you prefer 1215cc versus the 1249cc of the Bose.

Heard it at the Bristol Show earlier this year and was absolutely amazed how good these tiny, solid, brushed aluminium satellites sounded and felt given the price.

Russell

26. CobraAV

CobraAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok thanks all, I understand BOSE may not be the best choice, but can anyone provide advice (constructive not sarcastic please!) on an alternative 5.1 Speaker package, which is small(ish) with wall moutable satalites that will give me good all round Music and Home Cinema performamce?

27. bsimmer3000

bsimmer3000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    b&w mt range

28. lazymatt

lazymatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    I think the OP said he's already heard these, and preferred the Bose?

Mission Cubes, or Gallo's/Orbs:

http://www.orbaudio.com/

29. bsimmer3000

bsimmer3000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    yeah like they say horses for courses and so on. just fined it hard to beleave that the 2 can even be compared as i noticed a considerable difference in the quality of build and sound quality over the Bose. I feel so stupid now even thinking that i was going to spend the money on bose before i even attemted to audition equipment. ok you need to buy an amp but if i would have bought a onkyo 805 and mt10-20 setup i still would have saved over $1000 which could have been spent on a nice stand, cd player and cd's. or like i did do upgraded from the mt-30 idea to the xt's.

and yes lazymatt they truley are a lovley looking pair of speakers. pics online just dont do them justice. such a nice finish and look to them and hardly take up any room.

30. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    Who says the B&W MT20 and MT30 are any good?

I've heard them a few times, and on the MT30 system, its all sub-woofer and the satellites sound thuddy and muffled and completely 1 dimensional

Of course home cinema newbies don't realise they sound like this, because they haven't listened to many different types of speaker packages

I would hate to have that sub-woofer in my living room for regular viewing as I think my hearing would start going, being subjected to its low frequencies

In fact I was at a Home Cinema show checking out the new speaker packages that I have been doing now for the last 8 years, and I actually felt sorry for someone who ordered the MT30 after listening to a demo

Thuddy, deep base - thats the MT30

And for the B&W XT package, here are some prices I got off the internet

XT4 Floorstanding Loudspeaker £1,699.00
    XT2 Standmount Loudspeaker £699.00
    XTC Centre Channel Loudspeaker £549.00
    XT Stands £200.00

I don't know if the price means a pair or just 1 speaker?

If its a pair then the total package price comes to £3147

This costs approx 3 times the price of a Bose AM15 system, so its hardly comparing like for like is it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.