Bose acoustimass 15 speaker system, bass module replacement help please

Atarioldskool

Before anyone says anything about Bose speakers!! - YES I know they are not liked and there is a lot of hater out there :)

The bass module of my old Acoustimass 15 died completely so I threw it away, keeping all the twin cube speakers and cables.
I am looking for a replacement bass module that I could replace it with.

I would like to know, would the Bose lifstyle 30 / Acoustimass 30 bass module work as a replacement with a little bit of diy modification ?

Slight modifications would be to cut the 8 pin din connector off the cable that would normally connect into the Bose AV lifstyle unit and splice the cables and then connect these cables directly to the existing AV reciever (Yamaha) that I am using with my Bose acoustimass 15 (5.1 speaker system)

I have found several acoustimass 30 bass module (subwoofer) on it's own on fleebay for sale and are going cheap.

Not sure if specification is the same or similar to the acoustimass 15 bass module (subwoofer) apart from the 8 pin din connector used on the AM 30 that would normally connect to the DVD/AV lifestyle unit, (which normally would come with it as a package)

Where as my AM 15 use a rectangular connector that would connect into the bass module and the other end of the cables are all ready spliced and ready to connect to any AV reciever directly.

Any help on this would be very appreciated to keep my kids happy.

P.S
Please no mention of "buy other speakers, there is better speakers out there etc"
I am fully aware of this, but these speakers are being used by my kids in there tiny games / movie room.
Exactly the reason why I do not want to splash out on buying new speakers.

Thanks guys

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I don`t think we have many Bose owners for a reason so have you considered calling to Bose UK customer service asking the question as they are likely most qualified giving answer.

Phone number:
0333-3000-112

Atarioldskool

I don`t think we have many Bose owners for a reason so have you considered calling to Bose UK customer service asking the question as they are likely most qualified giving answer.

Phone number:
0333-3000-112

No I didnt to be honest,

Because most likely manufacturers would just say no, because a) they dont want you to be messing around with the products, b) the technical guys usually only know about the products that are compatible so anything to do with modifications etc I guess they would know

But I'll send them an email any way and see what they got to say

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
You would be better to hold out for a AM15 than try to bodge in a 30. I seem to remember there's some complications around muting, not to mention the different eq settings.

As this is a non critical system, I would just get a basic sub and plug the whole system into the avr conventionally. It won't be the best, but it will work and will provide a full range system.

1 caveat...
Bose build a bass filter into the sub, which reduces the bass output to the cubes. Feeding them with a full range signal will massively reduce their life and cause quite horrible distortion. If you can keep them connected through failed sub, I think the filtering will still work. Any new sub should be set quite high - 160hz or more, as the satellite speakers produce virtually no bass at all.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom