Answered Bose Acoustimass 10 Series V with Yamaha or Denon

kawish

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
Actually I want to purchase the HiFi system for my room which is approximate 20 W x 10 L x 8 H (FEET) My main purpose is to watch movies. I personally prefer bose acoustimass 10 series V system (5.1 channel) as I have tested it with Yamaha RX-V383 and I really like the deep and notable base but I disappoint the dialogue and vocal level which are not that clear at all.
So I want to switch my AV receiver to Yamaha RX-V681 or RX-V583 as they both have the below functions.
  • Dialogue Lift ensures that dialogue comes from the centre of the screen
  • Dialogue Level Adjustment for proper sound balance with dialogue and vocals
Also I have been suggested that Bose AM10 series V gives perfect sound with the Denon AVRs i.e. X2400H rather than Yamaha.

Also I am planning to add Atmos speakers in future so the above mentioned AVRs have Atmos feature as well.

Your expert advice would be highly appreciated.

TIA
Kawish

If you are happy with the Bose then stick with it. However, both the Denon and Yamaha models deserve better speakers than a 'lifestyle' package, certainly across the front three. Compared to even entry level Accoustic Q, KEF or Tannoy with a third party sub the Bose perform poorly. Style or substance.

Hi Gibbsy,
Thanks for your reply, well it is not necessary to stick with bose, if there is better option definitely I can go for that. If you recommend other speakers that have same or more powerful base than bose, i would be happy to switch.

It's all down to budget. You don't have to completely renew all at the same time. I would first upgrade the front three, then the sub and finally the surrounds. The Bose will work fine in the surround position.

Decide on a new receiver first as the Denon certainly performs very well with a KEF partnership and the KEF range is very easy to upgrade now or in the future. The new Q Serie, Q150 are very good speakers but the required matching centre, Q650C is huge, so space for that under the TV is very important. The Accoustic Q 3020 and 3090 centre are very good value and would give a significant upgrade over the Bose and will not break the bank.

If you want far better advice on different packages then @BlueWizard is the main man.

2@gibbsy has given sound advice, Whilst bose speakers look good (to some) for the money, there are better alternatives available, even at half the cost. I believe the Bose system is £900.

Their subwoofer does sound like it produces a lot of bass but its not very controlled and again there are much better subwoofers out there.

For your room size I would suggest the following.

Q Acoustics Speakers Per Pair
2 pairs of these at £99 each

Q Acoustics Single Centre Speaker
£120

P12-300SB-DF Satin Black
£379

Total £699

Van Damme Blue Series Speaker Cable. Studio Grade 2 x 2.5mm Twin-AX PRO - PER MT | eBay
This for speaker cable.

This system is better in every single aspect compared to the bose system, treble, midrange, bass, clarity.

The AvR requirments you have requested really should not be an issue. Something like a denon 2400 has room eq managment that should sort out

Do you have a layout of the room? what will you be using the system for?

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
it is not necessary to stick with bose, if there is better option definitely I can go for that

Pretty much every single other option would be a better choice - so the world is your oyster.

Thanks @gibbsy and @dollag

As I have returned the acoustimass 10 system, so I can go for any other option.
I want to use the system to watch movies specially. Also I have attached the room layout.

I have called the JBL regarding their loud speakers i.e. Arena 170/180 and they have given me advice to buy Harman Kardon HK65 with their 171S AVR. As per their opinion it is better than acoustimass 10 which I don't think so.

As I don't have any idea about the Q acoustics and KEF, would you able to recommend any specific series? my budget is approx £1000-£1200 including the AVR.

Thanks again guys for your advices.

Attachments

• LAYOUT.jpg
    LAYOUT.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 661
Dollag already gave you great advice in the post above mine. His suggestion comes to £700 which gives you a reasonable amount to spend on the receiver.

Thanks @gibbsy and @dollag

As I have returned the acoustimass 10 system, so I can go for any other option.
I want to use the system to watch movies specially. Also I have attached the room layout.

I have called the JBL regarding their loud speakers i.e. Arena 170/180 and they have given me advice to buy Harman Kardon HK65 with their 171S AVR. As per their opinion it is better than acoustimass 10 which I don't think so.

As I don't have any idea about the Q acoustics and KEF, would you able to recommend any specific series? my budget is approx £1000-£1200 including the AVR.

Thanks again guys for your advices.

JBL would recommend that HK65 avr as they are part of the same company.

I'd choose this for an avr

Denon AVR-X3400H

This comes in on budget along with the q acoustics system I put together in an earlier post.

Its a great avr and if you shop around, could get it for cheaper

The Kefs will blow your budget unless you went second hand.

The subwoofer i listed is imo best in class under £500

I'm not sure we have a clear statement of budget. So that is the place to start.

How much can you spend on Speakers and Amp? BUDGET?

Also agree that the BOSE are not the way to go. At a low budget, I would recommend the Q Acoustic 3020 (£120/pr) and the Q Acoustic 3090C Center (£120/ea). Excellent speakers for a modest amount of money.

Listen the crisp Drum Snaps, and the clear piano in this video, as well as very clear vocals.

I would not recommend the QA-3010, that's just a bit too small. The 3020 and the 3090 would come to about £240/set-of-three. You can't do better than the for that modest amount of money.

Of course if you have more money, there are many other recommendations.

As far as the Subwoofer, while the suggested BK P12-300SB (12", £380) is nice, there are lower cost options -

BK Electronics Subwoofers -

BK Gemini-II - £225 -

Gemini

BK XLS200 - £330 -

XLS200-FF

These are both 10" Subwoofers which might work better in your room.

The first thing we need to know is BUDGET? Then we can make recommendations that suit your specific needs.

Steve/bluewizard

@BlueWizard
Thanks for the advice as I have a budget of £1000-£1200 including the AV receiver. but I can spend more for future upgrades.

I think someone else suggested that you replace the Front Three (Left/Center/Right) and the Subwoofer. That's good advice. Bose will work fine (for now) are Surround Speakers. Then focus on what you want from the amp. I suggest you don't consider AVR's at less than about £500 unless you can get them on sale, and closer to £1000 is better, though that's eating a pretty substantial part of your budget.

Best guess with £1500, I would say about £750 for the Front Three plus the Sub, and the remaining approx £750 on the Amp.

Since you are sitting fairly close to the speakers, I would not recommend large Floorstanding models, that would be wasted in the room. Though there might be a few rare models that could work.

Good bookshelf in the range of 5" to 6.5" (130mm to 165mm) should do a very good job. Smaller Satellite speaker are possible, but I would never have them, while at the same time recognizing they might be right for some under some circumstances ... just not for me, so if that is your desire, others will have to advise you.

I also would not recommend a large Subwoofer in that space. In my opinion, 10" is about as large as you should go. Though you might consider TWO Subwoofers, though that second can wait until laterr if you feel that one is not doing the job.

This Denon AVR-X4400 9.2 is a bit expensive but it is also on sale at a HUGE discount -

Denon AVR-X4400H 9.2 Channel AV Surround Receiver - Superfi

Then we add speakers -

£120/pr = Q Acoustic 3020 Bookshelf
£120/ea = Q Acoustic 3090C Center
£330/ea = BK Electronics XLS200 Subwoofer
---------------------------
£570 = Total for Speaker

£570/set = Speaker System
£800/ea = Denon AVR-X4400
--------------------------
£1370 = Total for System

That hits your budget pretty close, and with an Amp with an original £1500 Selling Price.

While the Q Acoustic are not very expensive, they are indeed VERY GOOD speakers for the money, and a clear and definite step above the Bose.

...in my opinion.

Steve/bluewizard

I would advise to get the p12 over the gemini and xls200. Whilst the 10" drivers are great for music, I found them struggling in the real low's when watching films. As the OP stated it will only be for movies, I think the p12 is the better fit.

Again for the 3010 against the 3020, in a 5.1 set up with the sub doing everything below 80hz, I do not see the need to spend the extra on the 3020's and would put that extra money towards a better sub.

To the OP, Whatever way you decide to go, I'm pretty sure you'd be pleasantly surprised and happy with the results over the Bose

I would advise to get the p12 over the gemini and xls200. Whilst the 10" drivers are great for music, I found them struggling in the real low's when watching films. As the OP stated it will only be for movies, I think the p12 is the better fit.

Keep in mind that the system is in a room 10ft x 20ft with the system on the 20ft wall playing into the 10ft space. That means the seating distance is likely to be about ~8ft. Playing into a 10ft space does not require a 12" bass driver.

The XLS200 is a 10" rated down to 17hz (-6db) which is plenty deep.

However, this is indeed a decision that the Original Poster has to make. I'm content with whatever decision he makes. The difference in price between the 10" and the 12" is relatively small and either will fit into his budget.

Steve/bluewizard

So guys I am going to have the below range.
£549 = Denon X3400H (As X4400H is out of budget)
£240 (2 pairs for Front and Surround) = Q Acoustics 3020
£120 = Q Acoustics 3090C
£380 = BK P12-300SB
----------------------------
£1289 total

just confused about couple of things, 3020 speakers recommended power is 25w-75w and AVR is 105w @ 8ohm and 135w @ 6ohm. so would it be a problem or not. other thing is should I go for P12-300SB (Downward Facing OR Forward Facing)?

TIA

It will not be a problem. Them figures are quoted with 2 channels being driven in stereo it will be lower when using 5-7 channels

In addition, just because the amplifier has more power, does not mean it needs to be used. I have 400w going into my speakers that are rated 25w-120w

Df or FF imo is just aesthetics. I have a DF as i think it looks better but thats the only reason

Restating dollags point. You get a car capable of driving flat out at 130 mph, and it's fitted with tyres suitable for 100. , But you normally travel at 75 ... The bigger engine or power handling will give you a smoother drive up to 75...

@dollag @BlueWizard
Thank you guys for your expert advice, I have done the setup which is amazing and I have got what I wanted.

Just a quick question, as I don't have much space under the TV so it is very difficult to accommodate front L&R under TV, I have purchased the floor stands but the look is not that impressive.. So if I replaced my Front L&R 3020 with the 2050i or 3050 (floor standing), would it be perfect match with the setup or not?

Again thanks for the guidance and advise.

Regards

I do not really understand what you mean?

only the centre should be under the TV with the L&R on either side? was you referring to the centre? the centre channel is the most important in a 5.1 set up. I too had an issue getting space for my centre which lead me to buying a new unit.

Do you have a picture at all?

getting the 3050's over the 3020's is fine.

I do not really understand what you mean?

only the centre should be under the TV with the L&R on either side? was you referring to the centre? the centre channel is the most important in a 5.1 set up. I too had an issue getting space for my centre which lead me to buying a new unit.

Do you have a picture at all?

getting the 3050's over the 3020's is fine.

Thanks for getting back, well it's all about the overall look of the speakers, I have placed the L&R on either side of the centre on the unit. So I was thinking to buy the stands for another £50-£60 so I thought it would be better to have floor standing i.e. 2050i with the difference of £100 more :)

Thanks for the reply...:)

Depends on how much room you have to the sides of any floorstanders. As a rule floorstanders do not perform really well when placed too close to a side or rear wall and they need space to breath so to speak. Standmounts are easier to place in this regard and many standmounts will actually outperform floorstanders of a similar price.

If your using the denon avr, you can set all the speakers to small and let the sub deal with the bass (everything below 80hz) the floorstanders will be easier to place this way.

As @gibbsy stated, a pair of speaker stands will do the job for the existing 3020's and some ppl (myself inc) prefer this aesthetically but the choice is really up to you. the performance between them will be negligible imo.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom