1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bose Acoustimas 6 rumble

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Paperboy, Jul 1, 2003.

1. Paperboy

Paperboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having read some of the comments about Bose on the site, you could say I got what I deserve, but it suited my requirements to the T for my room. However, because I have hardwood floors and the subwoofer is in the corner of the room, I am picking up a low hum from the sub all the time, which is very annoying. Is there anyway of stopping this other than moving the speaker, or should it not do it anyway?

2. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I've never had any Bose gear so don't know if they all hum. Does the hum increase with the volume or is it always at the same level?

3. Paperboy

Paperboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's all the time. I spoke to people at Bose and they seemed to think that it is 'operational noise", but it's a bit too loud to ignore. It carries on for a few minutes even after the amp has been turned off.
    Is it just a case of putting some carpet underneath the sub woofer, or does it sound more like a fault?

4. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I've had subs that hummed but you could only hear it in a silent room. Do you mean when you turn off the main amp the hum continues. The sub has it's own amp and I think the hum stops when it's auto shut down circuit kicks in.

Check that none of the system input cables are near to any mains cable and move them if they are. Also try the sub plugged into other mains socket and on a different circuit if possible.

How long have you had it. If the hum is a problem can you get it replaced or a least tested by the shop?

5. Paperboy

Paperboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had the system for about six months. The original sub had a fault and Bose took it back and replaced it with one from their test lab, so they were sure it was OK. But the hum is quite loud and can be heard during quieter passages of DVDs.
    I'll try to separate it from other mains cables, but there are so many round the back of TVs and cinema equipment, as you know, that that could be tricky!
    But thanks for the advice.