Bose 700 vs Sony WH-1000XM4 Noise cancelling question.

hassanchop

Novice Member
I'm in the market for my first over-the-ear noise-canceling headphones in over 10 years.

I'm looking at the Sony 1000xM4 or the latest version that is coming out the M5 or the Bose 700.

Other than which one is the best one to go with, I do have a question about the noise canceling. I plan on taking calls from my headset for work. I know it will cancel out noise on my end but will it reduce background noise on what people hear on the other end? Often I'm at a coffee shop and the background music or noise makes me paranoid to unmute sometimes :)

Kapkirk

If you want to wait for the XM5's they should equal or better the Bose for call quality, AFAIK I think Sony are going to use more Mics on the xm5' than in the XM4's but new they are going to set you back £379 as against the XM4's which you can now pick up for about £260. I have used the call feature on my XM4's a few times with the TV on loud in the background and have never had complaints from people not hearing me properly so they should work just as well in a cafe.

As far as sound quality for music goes the Sony (XM4's) have excellent clarity with very clean high resolution sound and a nice gentle but not over the top bass, midrange is superb but generally can sound a little more distant than the Bose (as if the sound is coming from further away from your ears) the Bose have a more upfront more direct sound with a little more bass punch, both are good and both have plus and minus points, noise cancelling on both is very good and about the same, I couldn't detect much difference in ANC when I tested them both at the same time.

I'm not sure you can turn off the ANC on the Bose model like you could with the older QCII. The Sony's have better features, you can adjust the ambient sound to your liking, or turn it off altogether and have it on/off when connected through a wired connection, you can also tune the sound to your liking with the app and connect 2 devices at the same time.
Also worth mentioning that some people don't know about is that Sony also have a cheaper model (910 or something like that) £150, which I also tried in the shop and was surprised how good they sounded (a little more bass) and a similarly crisp treble and with similar but not quite as good ANC as the XM4, I was still very impressed with them though and nearly bought them over the XM4 for the massive price difference.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom