Question Bose 650 performance and room size

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by shunt5, Jan 26, 2017.

1. shunt5

shunt5
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I have been following this forum for a long time now. Though I kind of am not an "active" user, I do prefer to read the posts instead. Now that I am at the eve of purchasing a home cinema, I thought I could consult you guys.

Bose recently released two new versions for home cinema 600 and 650. I am considering to buy either one of them. So the questions are as follows :

* The living room is xx m2, split into two sections. So there is the wall with the TV. The sofa is 4,5 meter away. The dinner table is right behind it. The question is, do you think those sets could "fill-up" the room with their performance. I am especially concerned about this since the speakers are not so big in size.

* Overall performance price/performance ratio of those two new systems is also what I'm curious about. Are there any owners around that could share their thought on this one ?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,432
    Bose is overpriced and under performs. For the money you will get a much better separates system.

3. shunt5

shunt5
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for the answer PSM1

Cheers

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,464
    Draw out your floor plan and include furniture/seating layout - pics of the space can be helpful too.

Indicate what your 'Home Cinema' is to include in terms of Display, Sources, speakers etc.

Indicate your preference in terms of the 'look' of the speakers and an indication of overall budget.

Ideally your speaker positioning fits with the Dolby layout guide - which can be difficult to achieve in an 'open plan' area!

Speaker Setup Guide

Joe

5. Ghostrider

Ghostrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    I've just had a look at the BOSE 650 and nearly fell off my chair at the price - £3400 in round numbers - heck you can get a lot of very good kit for that price especially for a 5.1 system.

The BOSE looks good and will no doubt sound great in the demo room at the store but there are a few things that I would expect it to be able to deal with that I can find no confirmation that it does :

1 - Dolby Atmos / Auro 3d / DTS-X - may not be important to you but is a big ommission
    2 - 7 channel support - you may not want 7 channels but again £3400 is a lot of cash for a 5.1 system without the ability to expand.
    3 - HDR - can't see any mention of it supporting any HDR implementation

The only upside that I can see is that it is "lifestyle" and will not look out of place in a living room. You do however pay a big price for this both in terms of £££'s and in compromised functionality.