Question Bose 301 Series III

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Speakers' started by msh2, Jan 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. msh2

msh2
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I found two Bose 301 Series III speakers selling for what I think is a great price ($70), but like most deals there's a catch. They are both "right" speakers. I have a quick question:

1. Could I just turn one of the speakers 180°? The grill/logo would be upside down, but I could live with that.

Thanks for any and all help!
    Marc

2. dogfonos

dogfonos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    I'm unfamiliar with these speakers but looking at images and reading a few reviews of the Bose 301 series 3, I believe you could easily just use them as you describe because, evidently, they don't produce a convincing image anyway so altering the absolute positioning of the forward and rear facing mid/tweeter is unlikely to affect that. The speakers also appear to roll off the treble early so the likely directionality of the mid/tweeter may not be too obvious if one forward facing mid/tweeter, say the left side speaker, is a few inches lower than the right side speaker - as it will be when two right-handed speakers (or two left-handed speakers for that matter) are used as a pair. NB I'm assuming that the pair will be arranged so that the mid/tweeters of both speakers are either both on the outside or both on the inside - as viewed from the listening position.

There is always the option of positioning the speakers so that one side has the mid/tweeters on the outside of that speaker and the other speaker has the mid/tweeters on the inside. Again, these speakers aren't exactly precision instruments so I wouldn't imagine there to be a detrimental effect on sound quality.

One word of caution. These speakers were made over 20 years ago. Some drive units deteriorate with time even if they haven't been abused. This is especially true of drive units with foam rubber surrounds (as opposed to drive units with non-aerated rubber or neoprene surrounds). I can't be certain from the images I've seen but the surround of the main bass driver looks suspiciously like foam rubber to me - best check that out. My experience of foam rubber drive unit surrounds on two different speakers is that, under normal domestic conditions, they disintegrate after about 15 to 20 years. Repairs can often be carried out but you need a bit of DIY skill I'd imagine (never repaired any myself).

3. AMCross

AMCross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Bose 301 speakers are exactly the same

You can even flip the bose cover it just pops off dead easy

The only issue is that on the rear the bose label with be upside down
    [emoji16]

4. msh2

msh2
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think they'll be perfect for the garage. Thanks to both of you!

5. AMCross

AMCross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    I used these all the time years ago for night clubs and video jukeboxes

Great speakers in their day

6. dogfonos

dogfonos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    Regarding foam rubber drive unit surrounds...

Unless you want a DIY project, don't but them if they look like this:

[​IMG]

7. msh2

msh2
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll be sure to pop the covers off and check the drivers. Now I'll begin my search for a receiver...

Thanks again guys!