1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bose 3-2-1 and video

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by TimSoane, Jan 12, 2003.

1. TimSoane

TimSoane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My set up is a TH42PW4B Plasma screen, Bose 3-2-1 and Pace Sky+ box. This all works well and I am pretty pleased with it. But...

I want to be able to record and playback stuff other than on the Sky+ box. I cannot seem to make it happen. I have tried dozens of permutations of leads and configuration but the best I can get out of the video player is sound, no video. It is fair to say that my video is old and cheap, but I don't want to replace it if the new one isn't going to work. It has only two SCART sockets and analogue in and out, no other connections.

I also want to add a DVD recorder so as not to lose the digital quality when recording, but similarly I don't want to invest (and of course there are other reasons for delaying the DVD recorder purchase while the standards battle it out) unless I am confident it will work.

Incidentally, if I hook all of this up to my old receiver/TV everything works as it should through the SCART connections, so the issue is somewhere in the Bose/display area. They refer me to the dealer (John Lewis Partnership) who is hopeless.

Thanks in advance for any ideas I can try.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    You have not said what connections you are useing for each bit of equipment so the answer will be fairly general.

A VCR will only output a composite signal and therefore needs to be connected to the AV input on the plasma.
    $ky can output in RGB/S_Video/composite. If your $ky box is connected to the plasma via S_Video then the composite input on the plasma is disabled and therefore you are unable to watch a video.

If you let us know what is connected to each input on the plasma and what other outputs you have we will be able to offer more advice.

Mark.

3. stubags

stubags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks to me like the terminal board on the Panny has a normal video in phono jack with two left and right phonos for the sound. Presumably you have tried connecting the scart output from your video into these sockets using a scart to three phonos lead and that is what is not working? Or am I being way too simple as usual?

4. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    As MarkE19 rightly says, the only way you can connect a standard video to your display is via the composite video input on the screen. If you have Sky connected directly to the display (which I suspect you probably do) then I suspect this will be connected via the S-Video terminal which will render the composite connection unusable, and will more than likely explain why you are experiencing sound, but no video.

As far as connection possibilities are concerned, you do have a couple of options open to you which could resolve the problem, and allow you to to connect the devices to the display without sacrificing too much in the way of picture quality. Here goes...

1) (Not too familiar with Bose products so not sure if this is possible with your setup) Most AV receivers offer the facility of "video switching" which allows you to connect several devices to the receiver, and then have a single connection to the display device. If you have this facility, you could connect both Sky and your VCR to your "Bose" system, and then have a single S-Video connection (if the amp can "up-convert" composite to be output via S-Video), or alternatively composite connection to the display (although naturally this will effect the picture quality to an extent).

2) You could consider one of the devices available at RGB to S-Video which allows you to connect your Sky set top box to the display via the PC input, thus leaving the composite connection free for your VCR to be connected.

Naturally in both of the above examples a scart connection would need to exist between the Sky box, and the VCR to enabe you to record from one to the other.

As far as the DVD recorder is concerned, this could be integrated into your setup without too much difficulty as and when you choose to purchase, and would work perfectly :)

Hope this helps, I apologise if it sounds a little basic but not knowing any more about your setup there's little more that can be added for now!!

Kelvin.