1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Borked Speaker

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Lithian, May 5, 2003.

1. Lithian

Lithian
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was listening to some music at -10 yesterday and was hearing a strange sound, i shrugged and ignored it. Then a song i liked came on and it went up to -5.

A definate 'farp' 'farp' 'farp' was being overlayed onto the sound.

I turned the volume down and noticed that the 'farp' was only coming from one speaker. My front left AE aegis evo 3.

So i take the cover off and see that the midrange is moving around a lot more than the bass. Hmm, maybe its just the music i thought.

So i check out the front right, its not suffering from the same problem, they are set at the same volume as each other.

I dont have a sub yet so the bass is being directed out of these and the aegis evo centre as well.

But i cant think how this could happen, i could understand a faulty driver not moving enough, but too much?

It has never been above -5, and has always been slowly increased over the space of 30 mins or so.

hmm, any ideas?

2. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is this a screenplay you are writing, or are you taking substances?

Just a minute, I think I once read a short story by Phillip K Dick in which much the same happened.

Is it the channel or the speaker? Try swapping the two speakers, or maybe just the two speaker cables.

ditton

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I've tried to get my speakers to bork but I can't quite manage it.

4. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Raw eggs make me bork:eek:
    Sounds like you've killed the speaker,are they under waranty?

5. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe somethings come loose which is making it move more. Anyhow I would second bob1's idea.

6. Lithian

Lithian
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forgive me, i am known to ramble on quite a bit.

ditton: screenplay - no, substances - i was still hung over, the channel - possibly, i am using the digital out on my nforce2 and i have been having some issues with the sound, crackling with multiple sources etc.

Ian: I have a 100KV rapid discharge capacitor (dont know why its rated in V, just what it says on the case) which ought to do the trick.

Bob: raw eggs hmm, you know this how? Yep under warranty, they are only 2 months old or so.

Sunday Ironfoot: Dosn't look loose, and i would assume it would rattle at lower volumes.

So i will check it out next time the family are out and i will try swapping the channels.

Hmm, another long post? oops, i just made it longer :laugh:

7. Lithian

Lithian
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alright, thats me deaf!:smashin:

I was just listening to some music at reference level and paying a lot of attention to both of the evo 3's.

I was watching the cones dance about, and noticed that the left (the problem one) was wobbling sideways quite a lot.

So, what i assume is the problem is that it hasn't been mounted quite straight, not normally a problem except at loud levels where the rubber seal interferes.

sound like a good theory?

8. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Definitely sounds damaged to me.....could be that the voice coil has come loose or the cone's mountings...either way,it shouldn't be doing what you describe.
    Sounds like a trip to the dealer/manufacturer.