Quantcast

Boris Johnson: the new PM to energise the country?

Pacifico

Distinguished Member
What I meant was Johnson has only reshuffled in order to place more "yes men/women" under Cummings his authority. He's looking to shut down scrutiny and exert even more control over the narrative.
I would hope so. After the disastrous last 3 years where No10 would say something and Spreadsheet Phil next door would say the absolute opposite we desperately need a period fo stabilityand unified government.

It is also worth noting you say Conservative. This government is the least looking "Conservative" government I've ever seen. So the clue is no longer just in the name.
Now I am getting confused. One minute we are told that this Government are the most extreme bunch of free marketers ever who want a WTO brexit and to slash workers rights - and now this...

I wish people would make up their minds.

Aj33

Distinguished Member
One minute we are told that this Government are the most extreme bunch of free marketers ever who want a WTO brexit and to slash workers rights - and now this...
i have lost count of the number of times that I’ve heard this is a right wing or extreme right wing government.

it’s just about right of centre when you balance it out.

richp007

Distinguished Member
There hasn’t been a truly conservative government since probably Maggie.

I would say with Rabb, Patel and some more junior ministers it’s closer to conservatism than the last couple of governments.
I can't agree, but there is a long ongoing argument over the conservatism of the Conservatives. So your opinion certainly has merit and can't be dismissed.

Plus of course there have been different variants and it is always evolving with each government.

If you just search for Johnson and conservatism, there's a wealth of discussion and it's quite varied.

Aj33

Distinguished Member
I can't agree, but there is a long ongoing argument over the conservatism of the Conservatives. So your opinion certainly has merit and can't be dismissed.

Plus of course there have been different variants and it is always evolving with each government.

If you just search for Johnson and conservatism, there's a wealth of discussion and it's quite varied.
Just out of interest, can you point to anything in the May or Cameron government’s that could be called conservative?

Ruperts slippers

Distinguished Member
Conservative lite, I agree we've not had a true conservative government for decades. Especially on social policy and commentary.
And the UK has never had a right wing government.

Ruperts slippers

Distinguished Member
How do you define right wing?
I certainly wouldn't imply like the media does or people that we live in some kind of fascist controlling state. We don't.
Economically we still have state support, socially traditional conservative values have been replaced with a more open inclusive less judgemental stance.

Just a few examples.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Governments by their nature have to control to a degree, that is what they are elected to do.

I do have concerns about Dominic Cumming's influence though but will wait to see how things work out.

richp007

Distinguished Member
It is quite right to be concerned about Cummings influence. Every PM has had close advisers of course, but Cummings appears to be taking it to another level with Johnson.

As for conservatism it is always a much debated issue. The time of Thatcher was very different, recently both Cameron and May defined their own terms, and now we have Johnson who for me veers toward populism. Yet all three defined themselves as 'one nation Conservatives'.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
My main problem is that he is self taught and doesn't seem to have any external experience.
I don't want him to learn from mistakes made with the UK.
Knowledge - perhaps.
Wisdom however...

acrantophis

It is quite right to be concerned about Cummings influence. Every PM has had close advisers of course, but Cummings appears to be taking it to another level with Johnson.

As for conservatism it is always a much debated issue. The time of Thatcher was very different, recently both Cameron and May defined their own terms, and now we have Johnson who for me veers toward populism. Yet all three defined themselves as 'one nation Conservatives'.
Concerned.... ? WHY ? It’s of little consequence who is driving who so long as you agree with the direction. It’s unlikely that Johnson, surrounded as he is, by the many large personalities of Parliament would be led anywhere that he didn’t want to go. It’s also unlikely that he would employ a close adviser that he was not politically aligned with. Cummings/Boris are doing what needs to be done, it’s no surprise that that the press interpretation is not always supportive ....... and for most of us....that’s all we have to go on. If Caroline Flack taught us anything, it is to beware of the press. However, we all have our points of view and I certainly don’t see a little populism as a bad thing, it’s long overdue and about time that government was more aligned with its own population than Globalist agendas.

Pacifico

Distinguished Member
So we shouldn't understand who is in government and their motivation?
why? - who cares what their motivation is, its what they actually do that affects the man in the street.

And as for who is in Government, well that changes with the wind - even the PM doesn't always stay the same.

acrantophis

So we shouldn't understand who is in government and their motivation?
We rarely understand the motivations of Government, a great deal isn’t reported in media and that is the limit of average persons level of information. Look at the situation in France, a virtual media blackout, you’d have to look to facebook or perhaps RT to get current information. The average Joe public is unaware that the population of France has rioted for every weekend for more than a year and the level of police violence being used to quieten it. Do a media search for the Global Compact on immigration, many Countries refused to sign it, Macrons Generals accused him of treason for signing it, the Belgian PM stepped down over it...... yet very few in the UK are aware of it.... WHY ? Because no media reported on it at the time Theresa May signed it . The BBC published a single web page after the fact.

Last edited:

domtheone

Distinguished Member
RT as an information source???!!!
My Mother watches it a bit now and again. Says she quite like the fact that she gets to hear/see about things that the BBC won't report on.

Agree. People like to compare him to Mandleson and Campbell. The key difference is that both Blair and then Brown both had ideologies, they had intent, they had personal mission. Whether you agree with their politics or not, they were in post because they believed in what they were doing and had a plan. Their advisers augmented and assisted the vision of the leader.

Johnson has no plan. He's lazy. Whatever plan there it is Cummings's plan. and this time the PM is just a figurehead to sell that plan. That's the key difference.

If we look at Johnson's writings or speeches over the years, there's no real cohesion or focus. It's very lightweight, playing to the choir kind of stuff suited to whoever he was speaking or paid to write to. We get the sense he's toward the liberal left end of the Conservative party on social issues (based on anecdotes from his family), but that's it, I have no idea what else the man stands for or what his true vision for this country is.

Last edited:
On a different topic. Storms and Corona Virus. Has anyone actually seen the Prime Minister give briefings on either of these important issues? He's like a ghost, I've not seen him on the news since the election.

acrantophis

RT as an information source???!!!
RT has an obvious bias.. but so do the BBC , depends on which side of the argument you sit quite often. UK media would have us believe that RT is untrustworthy and that they are responsible despite glaring holes and bias in their reporting. However... thats what responsible reporting is nowadays... only telling us what they and recently, what the EU think we should know.

Things you did not see in the UK media.

Last edited:
You need the PM to give you weather updates now?
Nope, but if I were one of the many who's home was currently flooded, I'd like to know what the government plan is to stop it happening again.

Personally, I'd like to know what the UK plan is when Corona virus takes a grip here and we run out of these unused NHS staffing quarters for quarantine. I think the British tourists on the Diamond Princess would also like to know why other countries are repatriating their citizens but the UK is on radio silence.

These aren't small issues. Where's our national leadership?

A governments's paramount duty is to protect its citizens. Reshuffling the cabinet, fighting with the BBC, and messing around with the treasury should all be secondary concerns right now.

Last edited:

rustybin

Distinguished Member
RT has an obvious bias.. but so do the BBC , depends on which side of the argument you sit quite often. UK media would have us believe that RT is untrustworthy and that they are responsible despite glaring holes and bias in their reporting. However... thats what responsible reporting is nowadays... only telling us what they and recently, what the EU think we should know.

Things you did not see in the UK media.

Civil War: Swedish Citizens Rise Up To Protest Globalism

If you made it this far , unity news network is always worth a watch....,

A few of these link to far right articles and known Fascist writers and sympathisers. Doesn't surprise me to be honest given the shift this forum has taken recently but you should be ashamed of yourself.

Bigfingers

Distinguished Member
Nope, but if were one of the many who's home was currently flooded, I'd like to know what the government plan is to stop it happening again.

Personally, I'd like to know what the UK plan is when Corona virus takes a grip here and we run out of these unused NHS staffing quarters for quarantine. I think the British tourists on the Diamond Princess would also like to know why other countries are repatriating their citizens but the UK is on radio silence.

These aren't small issues. Where's our national leadership?
No one is going to stop flooding, end of story. I have no idea how the tourists are being assisted as I am not there. NHS running out of quarantined areas? You're sounding hysterical this morning.

Bigfingers

Distinguished Member
A quick Google tells me Japan has sent letters to passengers explaining they will have to stay on board for a 2 week quarantine period.