Boris Johnson: Resigns….

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed. I imagine that if someone like Rory Stewart had won the leadership contest, we wouldn't be in this mess. It's dreadful that the One Nation lot are out and the new lot came in on a test of frothing Brexity-ness and loyalty to Johnson.
There's only three reasons that politicians would support leaving the EU and be part of a Brexit government:
  • ideological (little Englanders pining for the days of empire)
  • person gain (disaster capitalism)
  • personal gain (I'll do and say whatever you want me to)
None of those are particularly good traits to have, so it's hardly surprising that it's led to what's probably the worst government in modern UK history.

My daughter is in a management position. She ALWAYS looks at experience and 'work ethic' before a degree/qualifications. Admittedly the positions she hires don't always require a degree but .......... work ethic comes before everything as far as she's concerned.
Your daughter is in the right job

That in turn demonises mental health issues in the eyes of some members of the public, I can't help but cynically wonder whether some of the conservative party would quite like to return to the ''good old'' days where we simply locked MH sufferers up and forgot about them.

That would mean spending money on some form of mental health provision. This government won't do that, even in extremis. For the last decade, they've been eliminating what threadbare provision existed.

I'll be accused of hyperbole, but I'm offering the perspective of a family (my family) directly affected.

It feels, on the ground, that governments of the last decade have been practicing a form of eugenics via economic policy. This government knows that disabled people have died as a direct consequence of its actions. This government knows it has systematically violated disabled people's human rights.

Knowing these things, administrations have not changed course. Rather, they've doubled down. If you're not a good economic unit, you have no place in the hyper-individualistic culture they seek to institute, in which responsibility toward others becomes an outdated concept.

Rather, they've doubled down. If you're not a good economic unit, you have no place in the hyper-individualistic culture they seek to institute, in which responsibility toward others becomes an outdated concept.
You see, I absolutely agree with this, but hasn't C19 changed the entire ideological landscape somewhat?

I say this in the sense that the Tories have had to preach the importance of collective responsibility (probably for the first time in their entire existence) rather than the joys of individualism.

It must have killed them to do this for the past 16 months, so maybe this is one of the reasons for all the mixed messages (aside from incompetence), as well as why they're rigidly sticking to opening up again despite evidence to the contrary that it may be too soon.

Or maybe not? From The Guardian Live Blog at 13:02

No 10 says no extra money going to NHS to fund 3% pay increase

Here are the main points from the No 10 lobby briefing.

• Downing Street has said that no extra money will be available to the NHS to fund the 3% pay rise for most staff announced yesterday. A No 10 spokesman said the pay rise would be “funded from within the NHS budget”, but he said this would not impact funding already earmarked for the NHS front line.

So that's the NHS stuffed then, look out for the cutbacks and even longer waiting times.

Or tie-ups with US healthcare companies?
Announcing a pay rise for NHS staff then expecting someone else to pay for it is very Boris Johnson.

You see, I absolutely agree with this, but hasn't C19 changed the entire ideological landscape somewhat?

I say this in the sense that the Tories have had to preach the importance of collective responsibility (probably for the first time in their entire existence) rather than the joys of individualism.

It must have killed them to do this for the past 16 months, so maybe this is one of the reasons for all the mixed messages (aside from incompetence), as well as why they're rigidly sticking to opening up again despite evidence to the contrary that it may be too soon.

They've had to be dragged, kicking and screaming, toward any regard for collective responsibility. We've seen this battle between core instinct and the realities of a pandemic response play out over the last 17 months.

Now we see a reversion to type - their true instinct reassert itself - through the lifting of restrictions while on the upward swing of a pandemic wave. This is what a Harvard epidemiologist thinks of this course of action:

And what's the public response? Delete the app - at least that's the response among people this government courts as voters.

Simply put, it you allow a virus to run through a country, without impediment, don't feel upset when ever more people are brought into contact with that virus. Deleting the app means only that we lose sight of where the virus is spreading and abandon individual responsibility toward other people.

This chain of discussion would probably be better placed in the Covid-19 section (my bad). This subject nonetheless goes to questions of whether our prime minister is fit to lead the country.

Yes, the Track and Trace app is working exactly as before, it's just that the population is now riddled with Covid-19.

The app is doing exactly what it is meant to do, warn you that you've spent time close to someone with Covid-19. It isn't the apps fault that nearly everyone has spent time near someone with Covid-19, it's the governments.

1626966897659.png

Good for Dawn, just shows how archaic and ridiculous our Parliament is.

What's needed is for successive opposition MPs, of any party, to continually restate what Butler said. It's a travesty that lying continually to the house passes without action, yet telling the truth can see you removed.

Again, this is where Johnson has taken us. Previous prime ministers, including Johnson's immediate predecessors, would have had the integrity to correct the record. Our prime minister has no shame, nor respect for the fragile conventions of the parliamentary democracy he should work to protect.

Last edited:
What's needed is for successive opposition MPs, of any party, to continually restate what Butler said. It's a travesty that lying continually to house passes without action, yet telling the truth can see you removed.

Again, this is where Johnson has taken us. Previous prime ministers, including Johnson's immediate predecessors, would have had the integrity to correct the record. Our prime minister has no shame, nor respect for the fragile conventions of the parliamentary democracy he should work to protect.
And for every press conference to have a succession of reporters asking the same question about the PM's lies.

And for every press conference to have a succession of reporters asking the same question about the PM's lies.

That would be fantasy land journalism in this country. Any sections of our media that weren't Tory have now been cowed and infiltrated, while Patel's working hard to criminalise journalistic dissent.

Well done. We need more MPs calling out the lies for what they are. Kicked out for the rest of the day is no big deal. Liars get to stay in their seats and tell more lies. It's a messed up world.

Well done. We need more MPs calling out the lies for what they are. Kicked out for the rest of the day is no big deal. Liars get to stay in their seats and tell more lies. It's a messed up world.
Its ridiculous that , as she says, you can lie as much as you want in the commons, but if someone accuses you of lying they're in the wrong.

I think she's illustrated just how out of touch the rules that govern the commons are, and the fact they were not designed to deal with a PM who lies as easily as he breathes. It's another area that's in dire need of reform.

That deputy speaker is a joke as is the main speaker. Well played to Dawn for saying what everyone knows. Hopefully it gets plenty of coverage in the news bulletins tonight but then again maybe not.

There's only three reasons that politicians would support leaving the EU and be part of a Brexit government:
  • ideological (little Englanders pining for the days of empire)
  • person gain (disaster capitalism)
  • personal gain (I'll do and say whatever you want me to)
None of those are particularly good traits to have, so it's hardly surprising that it's led to what's probably the worst government in modern UK history.
I think you would have to add the Tony Benn / Dennis Skinner category.

I think you would have to add the Tony Benn / Dennis Skinner category.
I'm pretty sure neither of them would agree to work for Johnson!

What's needed is for successive opposition MPs, of any party, to continually restate what Butler said. It's a travesty that lying continually to the house passes without action, yet telling the truth can see you removed.

Punishment only last for the session, so just gridlock the final hour of every parliamentary session with MP after MP pointing out he is a liar and getting evicted.

It will highlight the ridiculous situation we have where lying is fine, but pointing it out is a punishable offence.

Apologies for the source, but here is a video of Dawn Butler’s great speech today, calling out Johnson as being a liar. As she said, you get complaints for calling someone a liar in the chamber, but not for telling lies.

She’s gone up in my estimation

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom