Bored of av.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by TopMeTom, May 1, 2007.

1. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    There is a thread in the subs section about a shootout with subs.

Normally I would of been really interested in it, but after everything that's gone on lately, I can't be bothered with it any more.....This concerns me...

I have a nice system like the way it looks and sounds, am I content I wonder?

Then last night took a call that really got me, my godfather had a massive heart attack last night and died..This on top of the miscarriages,jeez why me?

I wish I could sell everything,take off somewhere and never come back...

Has anyone else, just lost interest in their hobby? Did you ever get that interest back?

Bit random, but hey.

2. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,048
    Yes. I had 3 years away from martial arts, for a number of reasons. Lost complete interest, didn't want anything to do them.

And it took some very good (well 9 months of it actually) persuasion (sp?) from somebody to get me training again.

3. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    Sorry to hear your further bad news mate, but in answer to your question, whilst I still love my AV, I have finally gotten over that desire to constantly upgrade. I'm now realising that I've got a good set up and am actually sitting back and enjoying films instead of looking for flaws in my setup all the time.

4. Mr_Wistles

Mr_Wistles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    I have just decided that I no longer have time for AV I had quite a good setup but I just never used it. In my free time I like walking my dogs, going to the gym, no time for hc.

So I am selling it all, going to turn the room back into a bedroom and stick a Mame machine in there, which turns up today :clap:

Sorry to hear about your godfather. Sometimes packing up and taking a year out to examine your life is a good thing, a couple of my friends have done it. Just because it isn't the "sensible" thing to do don't let that put you off.

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I changed my sub at the tail end of last year and also moved into the world of plasma three months ago but that's all I have done in three years and I don't feel the need to change anything else although I am a terrible impulse buyer

Like Mep, my AV system is a means to an end and not an end in itself but obviously when a family member or close friend becomes seriously ill all hobbies take a lower priority in life.

6. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Philb, you've really been through the wringer recently and I'm really sorry for you.

I have had some radical changes in my life recently and it has really put my obsession with films into perspective.

I have never been a great hardware man. AV was a means to an end. It was the films that I liked the most. If there was an obscure Bolivian cut of a movie, with an additional 3 seconds of nose picking in it, then I had to have a copy.

I've given up my entire DVD collection and it will be sold off shortly. And you know what? It ain't no big deal.

The material will always be out there. I'm amazed actually how easy it is to access. So I can watch pretty much what I want and there really is no imperative to own it.

I value other things now. Friends and loved ones. I also pay more attention to the world around me. I came that close to losing everything including my sanity.

So leave AV for a while. I'm sure another interest or channel for your thoughts will manifest itself.

7. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Makes a lot of sense what you say Xusia, that's exactly how I feel!

8. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,960
    This malaise sets in with most hobbies and interests and is often prompted by other events, such as the unfortunate ones that you have experienced lately. If it prompts a change, it prompts a change- in four years you might be expressing these feelings to the forum relevant to your next hobby!

I'm well off the AV power curve these days- I find the cost prohibitive (even from within the industry) and I rarely have two hours completely free to watch a film. As such I spend much more time with my stereo as I can grab a quick 20-30 minutes with it and feel that at least it has had some use. There is also the factor (perceived or otherwise) that at least when I spend out on my stereo, the item in question won't be hopelessly obsolete in 18 months and worth nothing. Looking at my ebay account and elsewhere, I have bought more records than CD's and more CD's than DVD's for the last five months running.

9. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I got bored of gaming a few years ago after amassing a very large collection of consoles and games, sold pretty much all of it. Got back into gaming last summer and haven't really looked back.

I'm about to go through something similar with Sky, I resubscribed when Sky HD came out last year after a two year break (just paid for Sky+) and I'm about to give it the boot as I've caught up on what I want to watch. Only thing I watch Sky Sports for these days is Villa and boxing, I've a shiny new season ticket for one that'll cost nearly as much (Setanta Sport s + Sky Sports + Prem Plus) and get me more matches. I have alternate means for getting my boxing.

I'm currently going through something similar with AV and DVDs at the moment - I haven't spent a penny on either for nearly a year. Partly because I am bored of upgrading, partly because of waiting for a decent HD player and partly because of cost. I know what needs to be done to improve my set-up but I don't want to part with the thousands that it would take to do it at this point as I know much better kit is just around the corner.

Give me another twelve months and I'll be bored of gaming again, its cyclical for me.

10. stealther

stealther

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    I am moving at the end of this month and I am not going to have sky in my next place. I am going to take the opportunity to change my lifestyle and get into a completely new routine. I am still interested in AV and I will probably have a dedicated room in my new house. But I am hoping to expand my horizons and become involved with more active hobbies. I think everyone goes through periods of disinterest in there hobbies whether it is thru personal or financial reasons etc.

11. Jenn

Jenn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,257
    Philb, it's normal to feel that way after all you've experienced lately but if you keep feeling low and not bothered etc. after a while, do talk to your doctor to make sure that you're not becoming depressed.

Talking to someone may help come to terms with some things.

12. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    AV is a hobby and compared to the death of a loved one, AV is irrelevant. It can be a useful distraction for some but an irritation for others.

Dont underestimate the impact of grief.

My wife lost 3 of her family in one weekend including her farther, all in separate incidents. This had a profound impact on her but she eventually went to see a bereavement councillor and this helped her cope. It did not take away the pain but it did stop her from losing control and one year later she is able to cope with the situation.

13. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    whilst im unemployed i cant buy any more equipment, although even if i could it wouldnt be upgrading atm, more just finish buying a couple of pieces i dont have which i should (HD player and CD player).......however i certainly havnt lost my love for AV.....i dont watch films quite as often as i was last year as i've gotten back in to playing counterstrike, but i always make time for some music each day.....even while i was working i did that....

probably one thing i lost a desire for was TV, i barely watched any for a good 7 years until i got sky......kept up with the occasional shows like HIGNFY, but when i got Sky (cant even remember why i got it now...lol...it was for a particular show but buggered if i can remember) it all picked up, various drama shows, all the old comedy repeats on Gold/Paramount, and WWE :)

I wont bother upgrading my AV stuff until i've held a job down for a couple of years....then i'll consider a few choice upgrades.....otherwise i'm quite happy with what i've got and it gets a lot of use....

only thing i might have to sort out is my Projector, i'm already up to 1700 hours on my second bulb.....this is in a year and a half :eek: not sure how long my PJ will last under this much use...lol.....sadly wont be able to afford a decent PJ again, not in HD as i wont bother with less than 1080 for the next one for gaming as well as movie reasons......so will most likely pick up an LCD...thats probably going to be the only thing that might have to change...but hopefully it wont, not for another couple years anyhow...

14. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Anyone using the words "Bored of AV" is a heathen and a sinner, who shall be required to repent immediately, sayeth the good Lords Bang and Olufsen. :rotfl:

Pooch