Bore hole in skirting for speaker cables?

E

erfrun

Hi,
I'm installing a new wooden floor and am going to run speaker cables under it.
I want to provide some sort of connectors at the cables end-points but would like to avoid having to bore holes in the walls and insert new gang-boxes etc.

The skirting board will be removed while the floor is being installed so how about if I:
- Bore a hole in the skirting
- Insert the audio socket into this hole in the skirting
- Connect the cables to the socket at the back of the skirting

Opinions?

Erfrun

Sounds like a reasonable alternative but is the skirting board deep enough?

It will work but cables running directly from speaker to amp give the best possible signal with some degradation likely for every "junction" that you add into the signal path.

How much degradation ? I'm afraid that I don't know the answer and to some extent I would guess that it depends on the quality of your equipment

Reiner, skirting is standard depth.
I dont mind creating a cavity in the wall behind the skirting to accomodate the audio connector + cable, as this cavity/hole will be concealed by skirting and I wont have to do any plastering/painting or installation of gang box.

Ian J, I dont understand your point exactly.
The general approach is to put a gang box into the wall & faceplate on a wall with audio connectors isn't it?.
I'm proposing to put the audio connectors on the skirting board.
There's no real difference is there?
Sorry if questions are dumb.... I'm a newbie.

I had another idea.
My floor installation will have following layers:
Concrete(bottom) -> 3/4 inch OSB (similar to chipboard) -> wooden floor(top)
I intend to use gaps between the OSB as the routing channels for the speaker cable.
What I'm now thinking of doing is having a floor outlet for the cables instead of terminating them on the skirting/wall.
I can have a 4 inch piece of the wooden floor which is hinged or floating ,which acts as a lid for the floor outlet.
I can lift the lid to get at or hide away the cables.
I dont need any connectors.... can just connect the raw cables direct to Hi-Fi or speaker.

How does this sound?

Erfrun

erfrun said:
Ian J, I dont understand your point exactly.
The general approach is to put a gang box into the wall & faceplate on a wall with audio connectors isn't it?.
I'm proposing to put the audio connectors on the skirting board.
There's no real difference is there?

The purists would insist that a cable running directly from speaker to amplifier gives the best possible audio results. By connecting from the amplifier to a junction box, onwards to another junction box and then introducing a third piece of cable into the audio chain from the second junction box to the speakers the signal will lose some of it's quality at each connection.

Reiner, skirting is standard depth.
I dont mind creating a cavity in the wall behind the skirting to accomodate the audio connector + cable, as this cavity/hole will be concealed by skirting and I wont have to do any plastering/painting or installation of gang box.
Ok, I see. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom