Border round certain disks with Theatertek????

Messiah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Using my HTPC with Theatertek and driving my pj at 1:1 resolution (1280x720) I find that many disks fill the screen just perfectly.

However, there are a few that put a 2" black border all the way round the imnage so it no longer fills the screen. Anyone know why? I can use the AR edit option to increase the picture to fill the screen and guess I can just do that on a disc by disc basis but I would love to know why. Surely if I'm driving the pj at panel resolution it should fill the screen.

Also stumped asto why only certain discs. Many thanks.

Take a guess and say :

1.66 aspect ratio.
1.85 aspect ratio thats been deliberately padded into a smaller frame to allow for overscan. (same for 2.35 or wider)
Cocked up telecine.

Thanks. What I should have added is that those discs which have the border on the HTPC show no such effect when played on my Tosh SD900 DVD player via interlaced component.

Thats probably because the Tosh crops the picture.

Wow. crops it by a lot then. I'll do a test on a disc that fills the screen on both and see how much less I see on the Tosh. Thanks Jeff.

Monster Inc?Disney?
These and a few others can have a black border round the image.
I noticed this when using my HTPC and 868i via DVI.
Component input does overscan, so they looks normal.
DVD authorers are going to have to be more careful in future, as more of us start using HDMI(DVI), with 1-1 mapping at native resolutions!

When using the 868i, i can stretch the image in the menus in the S3, or just use the optical zoom.
With TT i can stretch the image and it will remember for next time.

Lots of Disney stuff is 1.66 aspect

Thanks. It's not an aspect issue. The border is all the way round not just top and bottom. It is most likely an Oversacn issue. Whatever, it is a real PITA :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom