Booting to Wrong Drive(That Was Always There) After Adding New Drive

Garrett

Reaction score
For years I been booting to a SSD card with Win 10 on it, I also had an other SSD card for games but both were getting full. Also I had an old HD with a old Windows on plus a lot of stuff I archived stuff on it such as pictures etc thats been connected to the system many years with no problem, and it's always booted to the SSD card with WIn 10 on.
Yesterday I added a larger SSD card to the system but on booting booted to the old HD, I switched off and restarted but the computer would not reboot.
I then reconnected it and it booted again to the old HD, I then went into BIOS on the next reboot and chose the SSD card for the boot and everything was OK.
But now I'm finding I have to go into BIOS every time to choose the SSD card or the system boots to the old HD.

The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-Z87-D3HP and the SSD card is in a higher slot on the board than the HD, In BIOS the SSD coming up as P1 and the old HD P4.

Im looking for a way to boot straight to the SSD card without having to go to BIOS on startup.

EDIT Problem Solved

Last edited:
I just disconected the HD and also mover the SSD card up to 0 slot on the board, got into BIOS asp and said the SSD card on ) the one to boot from and now booting from the correct card every time.
For some reason the boot disc was on slot one and not 0 now its moved up seems OK.

But

BTW is there a way to alter the drive letter which a drive was given on formatting, rather than the letter you can give it in Windows?

I'd like to have the layout with the Samsung 1Tb (L) as (D) position 2
and the (D) Samsung as (E) position 3

The HD has a lot of partitions on it and was a large drive in its day.

BTW since messing about C drives gained about 9 to 10 Gb of extra stuff and gone into the red :confused:
Disc Layout.jpg

Last edited:
The BIOS not following the boot order might mean the drives are not starting up fast enough. Perhaps a power issue?

Drive letters are a windows thing rather than a system thing and can be changed in Windows' disk management.

Drive letters are a windows thing rather than a system thing and can be changed in Windows' disk management.
You cant change them that were labeled in formating. As you can see I went into Windows to change (E) drive to (X) but it still there as (E).
Also L to E but (L) still there.

as is the order in the layout.
Disc Layout change.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom