Bootcamp Windows Media center 05 on a mac?

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by Deleted member 92943, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Deleted member 92943

Deleted member 92943

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was wondering if anyone reckons if it's possible to bootcamp windows media center 2005 on a mac? If it's possible would media center detect and be able to use eyeTV to record TV?

The reason i ask is becuase i want a Mac for all my computer needs but for media i woud rather have windows media center and be able to stream all the content to my xbox360

2. breadbun

breadbun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    As far as I know it IS possible to use Windows MCE via Bootcamp, but you need to create a DVD installer of MCE in order for it to install correctly. The reason being is that MCE is normally on 2 discs and its not possible to eject a disc and insert a new one during the install (using Bootcamp).

As far as your second point goes, it will be more to do with the actual capture hardware device that you have, as to whether it is supported (has drivers/software) to work with MCE. As far as I know Miglia and Terratec USB devices are OK, but don't quote me on that.

3. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Have you thought about Vista Home Premium OEM (around £70) instead of MCE2005, as it comes on one DVD. Also the new version of Bootcamp now supports this OS too.

4. Deleted member 92943

Deleted member 92943

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That could be a great Idea.

As i plan to buy a Macbook even with 2GB Ram ect i feel dual booting with Vista will put a Mega strain on the Macbook so i may pick up a Mac Mini aswell and have Vista on that

5. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Yeah, I'm thinking about going the same route - mac mini with Vista Premium. Simply because I prefer using theatertek/ffdshow with media center to apple's dvd player w/ Frontrow. I don't know how long to lay off waiting for the new mac mini's to come out though? Another thing I've heard is that the current mac mini's are powerful enough to run aero - which is good news.

6. breadbun

breadbun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I have been considering a mini myself. Bascially just looking for something to plug into the telly though for watching HD material, and to use occasionally for other things, slideshows etc. I dont know enough about Media Center or Vista to know whether they are a better solution to what I actually want! I have even considered an Apple TV due to its tiny size, its built-in power, its HDMI output and its dedicated graphics chip. So, basically still in a massive quandary as to what to do... and I awaiting new Minis too, must be coming soon, surely... if they had a decent bump up of graphics card I'd get one without question.

7. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +577
    You could always pick up a s/hand mini and then replace the duo core with a duo 2 core ... ?

My mini is fine with HD playback of 700mb or 1Gb torrent avi's to my plasma or projector ...

Jon

8. Deleted member 92943

Deleted member 92943

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If i didn't get a Macbook and a Mac Mini but put the cash together for say a bottom line mac Pro would it be possible that (if it has a good graphics card like what the 24'' Imac) i could dual boot OSX and Vista Premiem with Media Center AND have a fully functioning gaming computer on Vista

9. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +577
    If you want to keep windows media for streaming then wouldn't it be better to buy a small media PC for that ?

With Boot Camp you do physically need to restart the Mac to switch between OSX and XP/Vista - personally after the first few times I'd be fedup with doing it !! Running Parallels simultaneously is a lot easier (although I don't have many taxing apps running on its) ...

There are some folks *I think* sending media content from macs to the XBox 360 ... have a hunt around and see if that would work for you ?

Jon

10. breadbun

breadbun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Yes, you will be able to game no problem on a Mac Pro so long as you configure it with a suitable graphics card when you buy. However as jont says above you would spend a lot of time switching between Mac and Vista. I think you would be better off getting some kind of small media pc as jont suggests. It needn't even be a Mac at all, if you mainly want to use MCE or something more compatible with your streaming needs.

One thing to bear in mind is that in a few weeks time, Microsoft are updating the XBox 360 Dashboard to support many more video formats and codecs which will make streaming media to it easier on all platforms. There is software called Connect360 on Mac OS X that you can use to stream video and audio to your 360. It is effortless and basically the same as streaming from a Windows PC (although it does not transcode video, like some pc software that you can get). At the end of the day it is up to you what your needs are and how much you are prepared to shell out to achieve what you want. If you aren't an avid mac user, then why do you want a Mac, when a Windows PC would offer more flexibility? If you are an avid mac user then you need to decide if you want to try and build a suitable solution either by using Mac-only software or by using the Bootcamp methods that you mention.