Boosting Wireless for laptop.

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by UnGreat, Sep 9, 2007.

1. UnGreat

UnGreat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    My brother works on a cruise ship and uses his laptop quite a bit.

He's found that the wireless onboard only extends to the corridor outside his room. Is there a way he can boost his wireless (on his laptop) easily in a hopefully non-complicated way (like a USB plug in aerial) as he's not really technical. Something like this.

It would be preferred if he could get it in a shop as he's only in port for a day at a time.

2. beerhunter

beerhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +740
    Unfortunately the bulkheads and deckheads of a ship are often made of stuff that turns the cabins into quite effective Faraday cages e.g metal. Faraday cages block EM radiation. So the real answer may be to get the ship's people to install cabling. I haven't heard of a way of adding an antenna to a built-in wireless adapter (which I assume he has). Some wireless adapters can be made to boost their output signal, which may or may not work. (May be illegal in some countries including the UK.) To find out if this is possible you need to know what the wireless adapter is.

3. UnGreat

UnGreat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Technical stuff doesn't faze me but my brother is a bit of a Luddite so wouldn't be willing to "mod" his wireless.

He has a Toshiba M50 he got from :thumbsdow PCworld :thumbsdow and the wireless isn't great. I'm hoping he can get something that plugs into a USB port and takes over the Wireless job and gives a greater chance picking up the network.

I never thought of the Faraday cage but hopefully this isn't the case. The problem I have is that I know that a USB signal booster exists, just can't find something like it in the uk. The only compromise I could think of if the Faraday angle is true is to buy a USB wifi adaptor that has an ariel on a wire and have him pass the wire under the door and stand the aeriel in the corridor to the side of his door as he claims he can get wireless outside his room.

This is all because he wants me to send him the new series of Heroes when it starts. :rolleyes:

4. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +763
    You can get a Buffalo PCMCIA WLAN adapter with an MCX aerial socket on it (from Scan and others)- WLI-CBG54S is one of them.
    The socket is hidden by a rubber bung.You'd also need an aerial connector adaptor (or lead) to use it with anything other than an MCX equipped antenna.

Chris Muriel, Manchester