Boosting Network Performance with Sky Broadband

Mike191272

Standard Member
Hello
I moved to Sky Broadband in December of last year and have been pleased with the internet performance. It has also supported Xbox Live gaming - albeit only ever with 2 or 3 out of the 4 network performance indicators highlighted.
I now have a Windows Media Center PC and I have set up the Xbox 360 as an Extender. The software tells me that my network performance is very poor and is unlikely to support the required level of media streaming.
What are my options for improving my network performance?
My current set up is as follows:
Sky Broadband Router is downstairs and connected wirelessly to the PC and Xbox 360 upstairs. I am on the 4Mb Sky package and am achieving download speeds of 3252 kb/s and upload speeds of 319 kb/s. I am 1.58km from my nearest exchange.
Microsoft recommends that I move to a 802.11a router for better performance but I think that if I change my router then I will be in breach of my contract with Sky.
What about using Homeplugs to link the downstairs router to the upstairs devices using a wired connection? Will this help?
Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Mike

rm010

Novice Member
You're right about replacing the router, I think that is against Sky's t's and c's. However the best connection is going to be a wired one, I run my xbox as an extender through a Homeplug connection. Works very well most of the time, just not perfect with high bitrate HD material. The absolute best route would be to put cat5 cable between your router and the extender.

Cheers!

Mike191272

Standard Member
Thanks!
Unfortunately running a CAT5 cable is not practical.
Is the Homeplug solution easy to set up?
What do I do? Connect one to my router downstairs and the other to my Xbox 360 upstairs? Is it as simple as that???

rm010

Novice Member
Yep dead easy - it's essentially just that, plug one in near each, let them sync and you're good to go. Takes about 2 minutes I think :D

Mike191272

Standard Member
Thanks rm010

So I think that Homeplugs are the way to go. Can anybody give me a recommendation on which to buy? I have already seen terms such as AVeasy, Wireless Extender, Highspeed and Duo and this is all from one manufacturer - Devolo. I know that Netgear and Belkin also do similar products but on all of the websites I can't seem to find a section that says "Which product is suitable for me?"

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Cheers

Mike

rm010

Novice Member
Hi Mike,

I use Netgear ones, they're ok - but I think more prone to interference than other models. I did a quick search and these look ok:

http://www.pcw.co.uk/computeractive/hardware/2212627/review-net-pl-200av-piggy

Not sure if there are any forums on here that may help...possibly worth creating a new thread somewhere in the Computers section.

Cheers!

PS. Just took a look myself and there's a sticky on it here. I think this should help address everything you're looking for http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=731564

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom