Boosting HDMI

Flat_Webb

Established Member
Reaction score
I understand from reading various threads on the forums that HDMI cable is really only capable of sending a signal up to around 10m or so from source. With this in mind, I thought about using an HDMI booster to get the signal from my Sky HD all the way to a PJ that is gonna need around 20m of cable in total to connect. My question is where should I place the booster? Should it be near the source of the signal (Sky HD) or somewhere near the PJ that is receiving? Also, is there a maximum length of cable that can be used with an HDMI booster in place or does it not matter as long as the booster is there?

Depends if you'e getting a repeater or equaliser, a repeater goes at the join between your two lengths of cable, equalisers typically go at the PJ end.

For SkyHD 720p/1080i you might be able to do 20m without either, although the cable for this may be more expensive than cheaper cables+one of the above.

John.

DVI Gear cables are tested to 15m without active correction however for 20m you will probably need to consider either adding a repeater or going for an optical cable. There is very little, if any price difference between the two options at 20m but I would go with an optical cable myself.

Neil

I've already got a 20m HDMI cable which I want to pass through my Sony AV amp to the projector. I reckon the total distance from my Sky HD to the projector (including through the amp) is around 25m. Any suggestions on my best move here please?

Options:

1. repeater / equilizers
2. Long electrical cables like Bettercables
3. Optical cables
4. Cat 5 baluns

all will work, I rather linke the optical solution.....but their ain't much wrong with any of them tbh. Look at cost but also available power to drive these solutions...

I can power a repeater sat next to the av receiver no probs, but if I go for that option should I place the repeater before or after the receiver in the chain??

some of these boxes are 'self' powered. Not all interfaces supply power however...

All the HDMI repeater and equalisers I've seen need an external power supply.

Keene do an equaliser that would sit at the PJ end of the wire which they claim will let you do 1080p at up to 20m or longer (they claim) at lower resolutions.

Normal cables+equalisers/repeaters is probably be cheaper than optical or cat5 based solution, which I think only make sense for very long runs (they normally need power as well so)...

John.

Hello Flat Webb

The Gefen EXT-HDMI-141SB goes on the far end of your long HDMI cable to 'regenerate' the signal you've sent over your cable; you then install a short cable between the 'Super Booster' and the Projector.

The Gefen HDMI Super Booster is 'self powered'.

You could also consider the Octava HDE-UK - its less money though lacks the user adjustable trim pot of the Gefen unit; see http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI extender.htm

The Octava unit is supplied with a UK power supply - though often you will find there is enough power on your HDMI cable to 'self power' the extender; though with a 20m Input cable I'd keep the external Power supply handy just in case you need it.

Best regards

Joe

:thumbsup: Cheers for you help :thumbsup: Here's to watchin' Premiership footy in HD on an 8ft screen :clap:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom