1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Booster for component video cable

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by darrylp, Mar 16, 2004.

1. darrylp

darrylp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm running a 45ft long component cable between a HD STB and a Marantz S3 projector and it appears that I need a signal booster.
    Does anyone know who could supply such a booster?
    Thanks very much.
    Darryl

2. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I have run 15m component cables with Sim2 projectors with no signal booster and it works fine
    Are you sure you need one ?

3. JohnWH

JohnWH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Try Keene electronics, their SVGA distribution amp (70 quid) might do the job..

Although make sure you're using proper 75ohm coax for interconnect (this doesn't mean expensive), over that distance it might be sufficient.

John.

4. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    I'm running 14m (46ft) of component to a Z2, and it's absolutely perfect.

I'm using some of Mark Grants Belden cables though, so it ought to be good :D

I would imagine that the result would be a lot better than a cheaper cable and a signal booster

3x14m Belden 1694A was £138. If you went for the single cable 7710 it might be a bit more - check out the Powerbuys forum.

5. JohnWH

JohnWH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    3x14mx£0.6 of 75 ohm coax = ~£25
    6x£1 for phonos = £6

Total cost ~£31+ the effort of soldering.

On 10M run frequecy response of cables measured as flat up to 300MHz+ (as high as my sig gen will go), so as good as makes no difference :)

For a very long run cable equalisation might be helpful...

John.

6. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    My temporary cable was a 10m unbranded thing costing 20 quid, and to be honest, I couldn't see anything much wrong with that from normal viewing distance (some noise with nose to screen).

I'm afraid the last time I mucked about with signal/noise calculations was 15 years ago, so I'm more than a little rusty, but I do suspect that if a 10m el-cheapo cable is OK, there must be something pretty badly wrong with that 14m one he's using if it needs a booster.

7. JohnWH

JohnWH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Well, when I got my PJ, I got a cheapo 10m cable thrown in, this was perfectly fine for interlaced output, but for progressive it definitly resulted in a loss of sharpness in the image. That said the cables I made up myself only cost a couple of quid more and are probably as good as anything you can buy.

Darrylp, what res are you pushing out of your HD STB? If you're pushing 720p or 1080i, just getting the right cables may make a big difference. If you don't want to spend a heap of cash then just do a self build.

Other thing, does your STB have a DVI output, if so I recommend using it, you'll find its immune to the problems of analogue cabling.

John.

8. darrylp

darrylp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the suggestions John and Yandros.
    I'm viewing 1080i and in fact have a DVI STB arriving on Wednesday but it is so far the only one available in Australia with DVI and Spero had compatibility problems with the same make and his S3 so I'm not optimistic.
    Also have the antenna expert coming Monday morning to try and boost the signal.
    Unfortunately in Australia digital signal is still being broadcast at 1/4 strength as it otherwise interferes with analogue signals. Eventually this'll be sorted.
    Regards
    Darryl

9. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Just a word of warning about DVI. I'm pretty sure that there are known issues with a cable run that long. I seem to recall that the maximum recommended DVI length is relatively short (7m comes to mind, but don't quote me on that)

10. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hello Darryl,

Would it be possible to temporarily move the HD STB closer to the projector so you can try a really short component cable ?

Maybe extend the antenna cable temporarily , as this will have less of a bad effect than a long Component cable.

DVI is great, but at high resolutions I doubt you will get a good picture over 14 Meters/45 feet. There are expensive boosted DVI cables available however.

Is the component cable you use from STB to Projector OK if you connect it to a DVD player, (to prove the cable is OK)

I guess the output from the HD STB is weak/noisy, as 14M is no problem for a decent component cable.

Wish we had HD set top boxes here....

Good luck!

Hello Yandros,

The Z2 component input does not look that much different to S-video input on the few Z2 that I have seen.
    maybe it's the scaler.

Z2 looks best with HTPC (In my opinion ;) )

Maybe sell that Z2 and buy an S3, you know you want to :D

Mark.

11. darrylp

darrylp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the suggestions everybody.
    I've tried all of them including shorter cable (which helps but is impractical for permanent use) and my DVD component cable (which didn’t make a difference.
    What I don't understand is how the SVGA amp you suggest John, will work with component cables?
    Regards
    Darryl

12. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Steady on there Mark, we've only just got the Z2 set up properly, so a bit early to be considering an upgrade!

Hmm, I might consider the HTPC route though. Our DVD player is an antique by todays standards (Sony 725) and I'd been contemplating replacing it. I've got a rather nice Coolermaster chassis hanging around spare waiting an upgrade, so if I can get the fan noise down it might be heading down to the lounge :smashin:

PS

Great cables sir :clap: They took a while get here though due to a 5 day backlog at the local sorting office. Girlfriend was upset however...she thought she was getting some unexpected alcohol when she saw the Jacobs Creek box. 42m of wire was a bit of a letdown for her!

13. darrylp

darrylp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi John

I ordered a KPDA amplifier from Keene Electronics today as it appears to do exactly what I need.
    Thanks very much for the referral and I'll post the results after I've installed it.

Regards
    Darryl

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I've used vga amps as you describe, works very well. Currently running a Z2 on the end of a 10m DVI cheapie from Lindy, which is also fine.

15. JohnWH

JohnWH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Hope that does it for you, but I'd have said get the SVGA dist amp as its got a BW 125MHz vs 50Mhz of the KPDA. It works just fine for component signals as it has no reliance on syncs etc so you just push the component feeds down the rgb channels and hey presto...

Cheers,
    John

16. darrylp

darrylp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi John

I called them and that's what they recommended!
    Hope I'm not going to be disappointed as it'll take a while to reach me here in Sydney Australia and then if I've got to exchange it?????

Regards
    Darryl