Boomyness when moving away from speakers

phil2009

Ive just moved my sound sys from my small cube like room into my main room with the 2 speakers by the side of the tv and the xls200 sub next to the right speaker.

I tried it at the side of the left speaker first, but when you sit about a meter away theres not much punchyness comming from the speakers, but as soon as you move away from the speakers things get boomy.

So I thought I would try the sub by the side of the right speaker, and you get a much better sound infront of the speakers, but still quite boomy when you walk around the room?

I have the sub on a concreate floor, av amp crossover set to 90hz and the sub is 3db higher then what amp recommends

Here a few pics where sound system is. It looks a tad messy atm cos Im redecorating my room and need to buy a decent tv stand, speaker stands, tv and need to sort out the other 3 speakers for surround sound. I just got a tad impatient:D

dscf07752782878.jpg

dscf07762898426.jpg

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
Bass response from your sub changes dependant on where you locate it, or for a given location, it changes depending on where you listen to it from. The effect your noticing is quite normal, and is the whole reason subwoofer eq is becoming quite a business and feature of systems these days.

phil2009

Bummer, I was hoping I could get it sounding the same all the way around my room.

phil2009

Ive just put the sub under my desk in the corner of the wall now, and I dont know.. Its still boomy when Im at my pc, but at least the boomyness sounds like its comming from the speakers now, so I guess that's a good thing.:)

phil2009

I think I have found the best position for my sub, and thats behind the left speaker can you believe, cos theres even less boomyness and the speakers sound more punchier.. Its a bit of a shame cos I was hoping for the sub to go at the side of 1 of the speakers cos it would of looked quite good once I've got it properly setup

Im going to chop my desk down to size too, cos everything looks far too cramped and I want my tv/sound system to be the main feature in my room, and if poss I want to spread it out a bit:)

phil2009

It dont look too bad with the sub behind the left speaker now that I bought the speaker stands and there's not much boomyness at all(only in films) plus all the bass sounds like its coming from the speakers now:)

1 question, when I get my other speakers sorted out, should the speech in 5.1 be as loud as in 2.1, cos Ive noticed the speech is a lot quieter in 5.1?

dscf07997059933.jpg

Last edited:

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
That really depends on the processing and what is meant to be going where. If speech is supposed to be behind you, then obviously, 5.1 mode with no actual surrounds will just result in overly quiet speech at those moments.

Last edited by a moderator:

MI55ION

Distinguished Member
It obviously depends on the source but with most 5.1 content, about 95% of dialogue come from the centre channel. So if you engage surround mode but not running a centre speaker, you'll obviously be missing all that info. To get an idea of what you're missing simply connect one of your left/right speakers to the centre channel and run a movie. Until you have a dedicated centre speaker, it's best to run it in 2.1 mode.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom