1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boomy Bass even with the Velodyne CHT-15?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by tk2001, Apr 27, 2003.

1. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Hi,

I've had my CHT-15 for over 3 months now and it is no doubt a superb subwoofer. After hours of experimenting I have placed my sub between the TV and the right speaker and I feel this is the optimal possition given my room size (12 x 15 feet).

I have noticed boomy bass with a few dvd movies and I want to know whether that is down to a) my subs performance, b) room accoustics, or c) the dvd sountrack it self and I'm hoping it the last two. I have all my speakers and sub configured to 85dB using avia BTW.

Below are a list of films which feature boomy bass that is very noticable:

The Ring R1.

When the women goes to the cabin to play the video tape for the first time, during the video, you can hear a low rumble in the background which is not defined but boomy.

Mission Impossible 2 R1.

The first half of the film has good tight bass, but towards the end of the film as Cruise escapes the enemy base it gets a bit boomy. I watched the whole movie at no louder than -05dB.

Akira R1 THX certified.

In general, this film exibits a fare share of boomy bass.

Has anyone noticed boomy bass on these films?

2. magking

magking
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Have you tried measuring the frequenzy response in your room?
    Have a look here.
    I would say it's probably acustics, after what I've read from other CHT15 owners they are not boomey.
    Have'nt checked the DVD's you mention though.

3. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    As I've said, I've moved the sub 5-6 times around the room and feel that the position it is curently in is the best compromise.

Assuming the boomy bass is down to room accoustics, is there I way I can minimise it?

BTW, are there other CHT-15 owners out there that experience boomy bass on any of their dvd movies/music cds?

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What crossover have you set? 80hz is a good starting point. 120hz or higher can be troublesome with subs.

I take it you've crossed-over just under the Diva LF corner?

5. magking

magking
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You did'nt read my link did you?
    Anyway, yes there is a way, equlising.
    A behringer feedback destroyer can be had for something like 100£.
    Look here.

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    I've got the CHT-10 and found I got Boomy bass.
    I moved the sub around my room dozens of times and although I got improvements the bass was still boomy. I then angled the sub so it was not square to the walls and this just about eliminated it all. It does not look as good as sitting neatly in the corner, but then again I did not buy it for its looks.

Mark.

7. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    What you're experiencing is almost certainly 'room boom', e.g. a peak frequency that is much louder than the others. Since you've already moved the sub around the room and found the best position, adding a BFD would be the best way to solve your problems.

8. paulfd

paulfd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Suffered with boom but all down to room acoustics. Using test tones from here found had a 25db gain in the room between 38 and 44 Hz. BFD sorted it out.

Bought mine for £99 incl from Digital Village. Impressed with them, first one had a fault with the dial, arranged for collection and delivered replacement in 2 days. Good service in my book :smashin:

Rgds

9. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, it's room acoustics I'm afraid.

My CHT-15 resides ina 13'x14' room in our cellar which needless to say has very solid, highly reflective walls. I've done mathematical predictions of room 'modes' and the big peaks I get coincide with them. No amount of sub placement has been able to counter them, even placing the sub at a mode null position.

Ultimately room treatments are the way to go, although you could try the Behringer feedback destroyer as advocated by Apocalypse but I'm not keen on the idea.

Cheers

10. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I have to agree with the room acoustics answer...i've a nasty 50Hz lift and it grinds my gears with music, but i find it less annoying with movies.
    Like yourself i've dragged the CHT-15 all over the room with limited success, and using frequency sweeps seems to confirm i'm only make small chips at my 50Hz Everest. I've tied other subs and the problem remains. I too am not keen on the feedback destroyer route but i've not yet seen a bad report so may end up going that route.