1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Booming sub with music

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Uhtoff, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Uhtoff

Uhtoff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi chaps - have recently bought KEF 2005.2 speakers and a Marantz SR4300 amp. This being my first foray into the world of surround I am incredibly impresse by all but one thing, the subwoofer is booming and upsetting the entire world when I'm listening to music through the system.

The settings seem perfect for movie watching with just the right amount of bass, but when I'm listening to any CD the bass is totally out of control. Is there any easy way I can set this up so it don't happen or do I just have to turn the sub down for music and up for films (flicking the music/cinema switch on the sub only helps a little)?

Apologies if this has been answered a hundred times, just tell me to **** and I'll find it! ;)

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It is possible that you have the gain on your sub turned up a bit too high. Get a bit closer and if you can hear it, it's too high

3. kit1cat

kit1cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    On my Yammy amp I have the subwoofer output set in the middle (-10 db), I then use the remote to adjust the sub out to suit what I am playing. A lot easier then keep adjusting the sub volume. Can you do that on your amp?

Barry

4. mij

mij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +609
    I had this problem with my REL sub and Marantz SR5200, I cured it by using the LFE connection for movies and the high level Neutrik connection in direct mode on the amp for music. I do not know if the Kef has both type of connections, if it has give it a try as it works great for me.

Also try moving the sub, it amazed me how much different it sounded after moving it just a few inches.

mij

5. ELV

ELV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Can you not turn the sub sub down independently for music? Most amps let you do this , Denon which is what iv'e got let you set them for the different formats, what are you listening to the music in?