1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boom boom boom - PLEASE help

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Barend, May 2, 2004.

1. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I am very happy with my new KEF Reference 203's, they cost a heap of hard earned money, but IMO worth every cent !
    Never heard music so transparent and musical!
    BUT!!!!

My listening quarters are one leg of our U-shaped room, of roughly 3x4 m.
    With all my speakers (including these KEF's) I have been plagued by an accented bass note, around 60 Hz, leading to a boomy sound.

I tried to move the speakers off the wall opposite, but that did not help much, besides- my wife won't let me rearrange the entire room...
    Anyway, picture a U with the horizontal stretched, me sitting in one vertical with the speakers at the opposite long wall.

The above room is not hard, a couch, some chairs, a rug, but concrete walls.
    I do not really want to abolish the wonderful low bass capabilities
    of my speakers and cut off more bass by stoppering all 4 reflex vents and letting a sub take over (and I suspect it will show the same problem).
    Tried spikes (ouch, cork floor!) to no avail.
    Read lots of literature, but most bass absorbers seem awfully bulky and ugly...

Anyone got experience here and give me a few hints?
    Using an equalizer is not really something I want to do...

2. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    If moving them away from the wall didn't help it must be a room thing. Room treatments might go some way to curing it but I'm afraid my knowledge in that area is limited. Maybe someone else, Buns or The Beekeeper can give you some more info.

3. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +705
    forget subs for now, just try blocking the ports and see how it sounds-it should tighten the bass and lose some boom

4. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Wonderful (and expensive) speakers, worthy of good placement imo! ;)

If moving isn't an option, using a (good quality) subwoofer would seem the next best thing. I bet placing it to the side of you, or behind you in a corner, will help lots. In my L-shaped room I have best results about halfway to the outer side. You could try to find a good spot using one 203, and some test tones or a frequency sweep (preferably).

Last week I bought a very good microphone + pre-amp + cable (for 150 euro) to do RTA quickly on my pc. :thumbsup: