Bookshelves for Atmos

sjackson

Prominent Member
Reaction score
So I'm in the early stages of a new room setup as we're doing some work on the house over the next 6-8 months. The room will be quite small (about 3m x 3.8m) but I'll probably have free reign on what to do with it. I'm looking seriously at normal 2-way bookshelf speakers for Atmos. My thinking is they'll be better bang for buck vs in ceilings and/or specifically designed angled baffle speakers.

I thought the below was interesting taken from AVS.
"In the Dolby spec if you take their class like I have it says speaker needs to be aimed towards the audience. I work in this industry and I do acoustic deign as part of my job. I don't know why they show it that way on their consumer site. For in ceiling speakers I would recommend angled models if placing it 45 degrees off axis. But just in case you don't believe me here is literally the guy who wrote the book and what he is doing on his room with bookshelf speakers on the ceiling. I attached a picture of Dobly's HT Atmos demo room at the Audio Engineering Society (AES) convention. i hope this clears up their poor recommendations on their webstite as even they don't follow their webite's guidelines in their own demo room. They could have flush mounted their bookeshelf speakers aiming straight down."

I'd probably hide such speakers in a large pelmet. I've been looking at various speaker options from Richersounds or online and put together a matrix below. Some interesting things stood out to me:
  • The Spektor 1's are tiny.
  • The Bronze 1's are great value vs small size (have a pair as desktop speakers and they are not bad at all).
  • Spektor 2, Diamond 12.1 or Mission LX-2 represent good volume for money.
  • QX-1 MKII, Silver 50 (6G) or Oberon 1 might represent a step up to the next class for not massive money extra per speaker.

Has anyone done a similar exercise or have thoughts on bookshelves for Atmos?

Yup I'm using q acoustic 3010i. With the q acoustic wall brackets. Front and side wall. Cheaper than trapezoid speakers, wider frequency response, and can be an aimed. Also if I want to reuse them elseware they're standard speakers.

Q acoustic brackets have a decent amount of downward angle adjustment

Yup I'm using q acoustic 3010i. With the q acoustic wall brackets. Front and side wall. Cheaper than trapezoid speakers, wider frequency response, and can be an aimed. Also if I want to reuse them elseware they're standard speakers.

Q acoustic brackets have a decent amount of downward angle adjustment

I'd love to see a photo if you have one?

They actually look quite good here

Normally I dislike white speakers bit with grey wall and white ceiling they disappear

Attachments

• IMG_20220315_093509132~2.jpg
    IMG_20220315_093509132~2.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 70
Good morning.
What a coincidence, I posted a very similar question yesterday. Your photo has reassured me that I can use an additional pair(s) of Linn 5110s for the ceiling speakers.
I too have seriously researched in ceiling speakers and as an old school audiophile, have concerns about the quality of back boxes, hoods etc. After all, the cabinet in a bookshelf speaker is a very important component. There’s also the dispersion, positioning and sound bleed to consider and then of course there’s the cost. For what they are they are just too expensive.

Good luck with the install.

Current consideration is a DIY version of the JBL SCS-8

I already have 4 x DIYSG Volt 8 speakers (8" coaxial) which I can build new cabinets for, perhaps 290mm cubed. Then buy these brackets from Thomann

i used wharfdale 9.0 for exactly this - cheap enough and sound well pointed at MLP

i used wharfdale 9.0 for exactly this - cheap enough and sound well pointed at MLP

I considered those owned in the past, good sound, issue need fair amount of downwards angle. Not many brackets offer this, in a secure method that is non damaging to the speaker.

I considered those owned in the past, good sound, issue need fair amount of downwards angle. Not many brackets offer this, in a secure method that is non damaging to the speaker.

True but some speakers are possibly cheap enough to sacrifice.

True but some speakers are possibly cheap enough to sacrifice.

I don't like ruining speakers even £50 ones. I went for q acoustic 3010i as they have threaded cabinet, and brackets have considerable downward and adjustment.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom